- Volume 31 Issue 1
In this study, we investigated the effects of three land uses on soil properties in two soil layers; surface soil (0~15 cm) and subsoil (15~30 cm). Soil samples were collected from planted forest, barren lands and cultivated lands from different areas in Chittagong Cox's Bazar and analyzed for some physical and chemical properties. Results showed that soil textural class varied from sandy clay loam in planted forest and barren land site to sandy loam in cultivated soils. Maximum water holding capacity was higher in forest followed by barren land and the lowest in cultivated lands. At both soil depths, soils of cultivated land showed the highest values of bulk density (1.42 to
land use types;soil physical properties;soil chemical properties;soil carbon storage;total nitrogen storage
- Akbar MH, Ahmed OH, Jamaluddin AS Nik Ab, Majid NM, Abdul-Hamid H, Jusop S, Hassan A, Yusof KH, Arifin A. 2010. Differences in soil physical and chemical properties of rehabilitated and secondary forests. Am J Appl Sci 7: 1200-1209. https://doi.org/10.3844/ajassp.2010.1200.1209
- Angers DA. 1992. Changes in Soil aggregation and organic carbon under corn and alfalfa. Soil Sci Soc Am J 56: 1244-1249. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1992.03615995005600040039x
- Arevalo CBM, Bhatti JS, Chang SX, Sidders D. 2009. Ecosystem carbon stocks and distribution under different land-uses in north central alberta, canada. For Ecol Manage 257: 1776-1785. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2009.01.034
- Binkley D. 1992. Mixtures of nitrogen-fixing and non-nitrogen fixing tree species. In: The Ecology of Mixed-Species Stands of Trees (Cannell MGR, Malcolm DC, Robertson PA, eds). The British Ecological Society, Oxford.
- Bolin B, Sukumar R. 2000. Global perspective. In: Stabilization mechanisms of soil organic matter: Implications for C-saturation of soils (Watson RT, Noble IR, Bolin B, Ravindranath NH, Six J, Conant RT, Paul EA, Paustian K, eds). Plant Soil, pp 155-176.
- Brammer H. 1971. Bangladesh Land Resources Technical Report-3. AGL: SF, Pak-6, FAO, Rome.
- Brammer H. 1996. The geography of the soils of Bangladesh. The University Press Limited, Bangladesh.
- CERDI (Central Extention Resoures Development Institute). 1983. Soils of Bangladesh. published by CERDI, Joydevpur, Dhaka.
- Chen X, Li BL. 2003. Change in soil carbon and nutrient storage after human disturbance of a primary korean pine forest in northeast china. For Ecol Manage 186: 197-206. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-1127(03)00258-5
- Chowdhury MSH, Biswas S, Halim MA, Haque SMS, Muhammed N, Koike M. 2007. Comparative analysis of some selected macronutrients of soil in orange orchard and degraded forests in chittagong hill tracts, bangladesh. J For Res 18: 27-30. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11676-007-0005-0
- Day PR. 1965. Particle fraction and particle size analysis. In: Methods of soil analysis. Part, 1. American Society of Agronomy (Black CA, eds). Madison, Wisconsin, pp 45-56.
- Dube F, Zagal E, Stolpe N, Espinosa M. 2009. The influence of land-use change on the organic carbon distribution and microbial respiration in a volcanic soil of the chilean patagonia. For Ecol Manage 257: 1695-1704. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2009.01.044
- Evrendilek F, Celik I, Kilic S. 2004. Changes in soil organic carbon and other physical soil properties along adjacent Mediterranean forest, grassland, and cropland ecosystems in Turkey. J Arid Environ 59: 743-752. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaridenv.2004.03.002
- Frossard E, Conron LM, Oberson A, Sinaj S, Fardeau JC. 2000. Processes governing phosphorus availability in temperate soils. J Environ Qual 29: 15-23.
- Fu BJ, Chen LD, Ma KM, Zhou HF, Wang J. 2000. The relationships between land use and soil conditions in the hilly area of the loess plateau in northern Shaanxi, China. Catena 39: 69-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0341-8162(99)00084-3
- Fu BJ, Guo XD, Chen LD, Ma KM, Li JR. 2001. Soil nutrient changes due to land use changes in Northern China: a case study in Zunhua County, Hebei Province. Soil Use and Manage 17: 294-296. https://doi.org/10.1079/SUM200182
- Fu BJ, Ma KM, Zhou HF, Chen LD. 1999. The effect of land use structure on the distribution of soil nutrients in the hilly area of the loess plateau, china. Chin Sci Bul 44: 732-736. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02909714
- Grant CA, Lafond GP. 1993. The effects of tillage systems and crop sequences on soil bulk density and penetration resistance on a clay soil in southern Saskatchewan. Can J Soil Sci 73: 223-232. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjss93-024
- Guo LB, Gifford RM. 2002. Soil carbon stocks and land use change: a meta analysis. Glob Change Bio 8: 345-360. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1354-1013.2002.00486.x
- Gupta RD, Arora S, Gupta GD, Sumberia NM. 2010. Soil physical variability in relation to soil erodibility under different land uses in foothills of Siwaliks in N-W India. Trop Ecol 51: 183-197.
- Haghdoost N, Akbarinia M, Hosseini SM. 2013. Land-use change and carbon stocks: A case study, Noor County, Iran. J For Res 24: 461-469. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11676-013-0340-2
- Hajabbasi MA, Jalalian A, Karimzadeh HR. 1997. Deforestation effects on soil physical and chemical properties, lordegan, iran. Plant and Soi 190: 301-308. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1004243702208
- Ishizuka S, Tanaka S, Sakurai K, Hirai H, Hirotani H, Ogino K, Lee HS, kendawang JJ. 1998. Characterization and distribution of soils at lambir hills national park in sarawak, malaysia, with special reference to soil hardness and soil texture. Tropics 8: 31-44. https://doi.org/10.3759/tropics.8.31
- Islam KR, Weil RR. 2000. Land use effects on soil quality in a tropical forest ecosystem of Bangladesh. Agric Ecosys Environ 79: 9-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-8809(99)00145-0
- Ismail I, Blevins RL, Frye WW. 1994. Long-term no-tillage effects on soil properties and continuous corn yields. Soil Sci Soc Am J 58: 193-198. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1994.03615995005800010028x
- Jackson ML. 1973. Soil Chemical Analysis. Prentice-Hall Inc., Englewood Cliffs, N. Jersey, USA, pp 205-226.
- Jaiyeoba IA. 2003. Changes in soil properties due to continuous cultivation in nigerian semiarid savannah. Soil Till Res 70: 91-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-1987(02)00138-1
- Kizilkaya R, Dengiz O. 2010. Variation of land uses and land cover effects on some physic-chemical characteristics and soil enzyme activities. Zemdirbyste-Agric 97: 15-24.
- Lal R, Kimble J, Stewart B. 1995. World soils as a source or sink for radiatively active gas-es. In: Soil Management and Greenhouse Effect (Lal R, Kimble J, Levine E, et al, eds). Boca Raton Florida, Lewis Publishers, pp 1-8.
- Lee YL, Osumanu HA, Nik Muhamad Ab M, Jalloh MB. 2009. Organic Matter, Carbon and Humic Acids in Rehabilitated and Secondary Forest Soils. Am Appl Sci 6: 824-828. https://doi.org/10.3844/ajassp.2009.824.828
- Lugo AE. 1992. Comparison of tropical tree plantations with secondary forests of similar age. Ecol Mon 62: 1-41. https://doi.org/10.2307/2937169
- Minitab Inc. 1996. Minitab user's guide, release 11. Minitab, State College, PA.
- Murty D, Kirschbaum MUF, McMurtrie RE, McGilvray H. 2002. Does conversion of forest to agricultural land change soil carbon and nitrogen? A review of the literature. Glob Change Bio 8: 105-123. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1354-1013.2001.00459.x
- Patrick JH, Smith DW. 1975. Forest management and nutrient cycling in Eastern hardwoods. USDA For. Serv. Res. Pap. ME- 4. Northeast For. Exp. Stat. Broomal, PA.
- Perrott KW, Sarathchandra SU, Waller JE. 1990. Seasonal storage and release of phospho-rus and potassium by organic matter and the microbial biomass in a high-producing pas-toral soil. Aus J Soil Res 28: 593-608. https://doi.org/10.1071/SR9900593
- Post WM, Mann LK. 1990. Change in soil organic matter and nitrogen as a result of culti-vation. In: Soil and the Greenhouse Effect (Bouman AF, eds). Chichester, John Wiley Publication.
- Pulleman MM, Six J, van Breemen N, Jongmans AG. 2005. Soil organic matter distribution and microaggregate characteristics as affected by agricultural management and earthworm activity. Eur J Soil Sci 56: 453-467. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2389.2004.00696.x
- Rahman MR. 2005. Soil of Bangladesh. Dorpon Publications, BanglaBazar, Dhaka.
- Six J, Connant RT, Paul EA, Paustian K. 2002. Stabilization mechanisms of soil organic matter: implications for C-saturation of soils. Plant and Soil 241: 155-176. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1016125726789
- Soto B, Diazfierros F. 1993. Interactions between plant ash leachates and soil. Inter J Wild Fir 3: 207-216. https://doi.org/10.1071/WF9930207
- Walkley A, Black IA. 1934. An examination of the degtjareff method for determining soil organic matter, and a proposed modification of the chromic acid titration method. Soil Sci 37: 29-38. https://doi.org/10.1097/00010694-193401000-00003
- Yan J, Zhu X, Zhao JH. 2009. Effects of grassland conversion to cropland and forest on soil organic carbon and dissolved organic carbon in the farming-pastoral ecotone of inner mongolia. Acta Ecol Sin 29: 150-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chnaes.2009.07.001
- Yan Y, Tian J, Fan MS, Zhang FS, Li XL, Christie P, Chen HQ, Lee J, Kuzyakov Y, Six J. 2012. Soil organic carbon and total nitrogen in intensively managed arable soils. Agric Ecosys Environ 150: 102-110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2012.01.024
- Youngberg CT, Wollum AG. 1976. Nitrogen accretion in developing Ceanothus velutinus stands. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J.40, 109-112. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1976.03615995004000010029x
- Zech W, Drechsel P. 1998. Nutrient disorders and nutrient management in fast growing plantations. In: Soils of Tropical Forest Ecosystems: Characteristics, Ecology and Management (Schulte A, Ruhiyat D, eds). Berlin, Heidelberg, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, pp 90-106.