- Volume 31 Issue 1
The study was performed to analyze the growth of the red pine (Pinus densiflora) in the Eastern Region of Korea. Stem profile data from a total of 8 dominant trees of which each tree represents its site were collected and used for the analysis. The stem volumes were calculated using Smalian's formula and much higher than the ones by Korea Forest Research Institute in larger than dbh 40 cm. The total bark volumes were more proportionally related to dbh and stem volume than to height and age. The bark thickness and volume decreased as relative height increases but increased as relative dbh increased. The average PAI of dbh and height reached the highest at 0.8 cm/yr (age 15) and at 0.45 m/yr (age 30) respectively, while the average PAI of volume steadily tended to increase up to age 80. The growth percentages of dbh, height and volume tended to decrease with age and volume growth percentage was higher than dbh and height.
bark thickness;diameter growth;height growth;volume growth;periodic annual increment (PAI)
- Avery TE, Burkhart HE. 2002. Forest Measurements. 5th ed. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, pp 456.
- Da Silva RP, Dos Santos J, Tribuzy ES, Chambers JQ, Nakamura S, Higuchi N. 2002. Diameter increment and growth patterns for individual tree growing in Central Amazon, Brazil. For Ecol Manage 166: 295-301. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-1127(01)00678-8
- Eastern Regional Office of the Korea Forest Service. 2012. Long-Term Monitoring on the Red Pine (Pinus densiflora) on Climate Change in the Eastern Regional of Gangwon-do. pp 190. (in Korean)
- Husch B, Beers TW, Kershaw JA. 2003. Forest Mensuration. 4th ed. Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, pp 443.
- Jeon EJ. 2008. A Study on the estimation of growth rates and amounts of volume stocks by forest type and species in Korea. MS thesis. Kookmin University, Seoul, Korea. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Korea Forest Research Institute. 2012a. Commercial Tree Species 1 Pinus densiflora. pp 250. (in Korean)
- Korea Forest Research Institute. 2012b. Stand Volume.Biomass and Yield Table. pp 261. (in Korean)
- Korea Forest Service. 2013. Statistical Yearbook of Forestry. pp 486.
- Lee ST, Bae SW, Jang SC, Hwang JH, Chung JM, Kim HS. 2009. A study on the relationship between radial growth and climate factors by regions in Korean Pine (Pinus koraiensis). J Korean For Soc 98: 733-739. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Lee YH. 1995. Forest Meansuration. Kijeon Research. (in Korean)
- Kwak DA, Lee WK, Kim SW, Seo JH. 2004. Regional differences in height and taper form of Pinu densiflora in Korea. Kor J For Meas 7: 49-60. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Kim CS, Lee JN. 1967. A Study on the Bark Percentage of Red Pine (Pinus densiflora) and Larch (Larix Kaempferi). J Korean For Soc 98: 733-739. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Seo YW, Balekulu S, Choi JK.2014. Individual growth analysis of Korean white pine (Pinus koraiensis) by stem analysis in the central northern region of Korea. For Sci Tech 10: 220-226.
- Son YM, Lee KH, Chung YG, Lee WK. 1998. Bark Thickness and Bark Percent of Pinus densiflora in Kangwon Province. Kor J ForMeas 1: 64-69. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Song CC, Byun WH, Lee WK. 1995. Districting the growth zone by diameter growth pattern for Pinus densiflora in kangwon province. J Kor For Soc 84: 71-76. (in Korean with English abstract)
연구 과제번호 : Long-term Monitoring Research for Major Species on Climate Change
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Korea Forest Service