- Volume 25 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Inhibitory Effects of Intestine-oriented Lactobacillus sp. KP-3 on the Accumulation of Heavy Metals in Sprague Dawley rats
Sprague Dawley 쥐에서 장내 유래 Lactobacillus sp. KP-3의 중금속 축적 저해 효과
Kim, Shin Yeon;Kim, Hyun Pyo
- Received : 2014.11.17
- Accepted : 2015.02.25
- Published : 2015.02.28
To investigate the effect of lactic acid bacteria on the heavy metal adsorption from internal organs and blood, lactic acid bacteria were isolated from human feces. Some strains resistant to heavy metals were selected by incubation in agar media containing each of chrome and cadmium salts. Among them, a strain named KP-3 was ultimately chosen due to its higher growth rate in selective broth medium containing the heavy metals at the concentration of 0.01%. The strain was identified as Lactobacillus sp. based on its morphological, cultural and physiological characteristics. For evaluating the ability to prevent accumulation of heavy metals by selected Lactobacillus sp. strain in vivo, Sprague Dawley rats were fed with heavy metal salts (cadmium, chrome and lead) with or without cultured whole cells for 7 days. The amounts of heavy metals accumulated in liver, kidney and blood were analyzed. As a result, chrome was accumulated to kidney mostly, and lead was frequently found in liver and kidney. Experimental group (rats fed with lactic acid bacteria) showed less accumulation of heavy metal than control group (rats fed with saline solution). The inhibition rates of heavy metal accumulation were calculated to 41.8% (Cd), 33.4% (Cr) and 44.2% (Pb). Especially, feeding lactic acid bacteria strongly reduced accumulation of cadmium in blood. The results showed that feeding Lactobacillus sp. KP-3 could prevent the bioaccumulation of heavy metals in the living body.
Accumulation;heavy metals;lactic acid bacteria;Sprague Dawley rats
- Underwood, E. J. 1977. Trace elements in human and animal nutrition. 4th ed., Academic Press. 243-257.
- VonBurg, R. and Liu, D. 1993. Chromium and hexavalent chromium. J. Appl. Toxicol. 13, 225-230. https://doi.org/10.1002/jat.2550130315
- Wapnir, R. A., Modak, S. A., Lifshitz, F. and Teichberg, S. 1979. Altcrations of intestinal and renal function in rats after intrapcritoneal injection of lead acetate. J. Lab. Clin. Med. 94, 144.
- Wexler, P., Gad, S. C., Hartung, R., Henderson, R. F., Krenzelok, E. P., Locey, B. J., Mehendale, H. M., Plaa, G. L., Pope, C. and Witschi, H. 1988. Encyclopedia of toxicology (volume1). Academic Press.
- WHO Task group. 1997. Health criteria for cadmium, WHO, Geneva.
- Wiegand, H. J. 1985. Fast uptake kinetics in vitro of chromium (VI) by red blood cells of man and rat. Arch. Toxicol. 57, 31-34. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00286571
- Worker, N. A. and Mogicovsky, B. B. 1961. Effect of vitamin D on the utilization of zinc, cadmium and mercury in the chick. J. Nutr. 75, 222-224.
- World Health Organization. 1988. Environmental health criteria 61. Chromium. WHO. Geneva
- Yeom, K. S. 1995. The effect of heavy metals on the microstructure of proximal convoluted tubules of the mouse kidney. Masters Thesis. Soonchunhyang University, Seoul, Korea.
- Zhang, X. B. and Ohta, Y. 1991. In vitro binding of mutagenic pyrolyzate to lactic acid bacterial cell in human gastric juice. J. Dairy Sci. 74, 752-757. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78221-0
- Zhang, X.B. and Ohta, Y. 1992. Binding of mutagenic pyrolyzate to fraction of intestinal bacterial cell. Can. J. Microbiol. 38, 614-617. https://doi.org/10.1139/m92-101
- Sandine, W. E., Muralidhara, K. S., Elliker, P. R. and England, D. C. 1972. Lactic acid bacteria in food and health: a review with special reference to enteropathogenic Escherichia coli as well as certain enteric diseases and their treatment with antibiotics and lactobacilli. J. Milk Food Technol. 35, 691-702.
- Scioli, S. E. 1985. The influence of acidophilus milk and yogurt diets on the repair of carcinogen-induced DNA damage. Masters Thesis. University of Nebraska, Nebraska, USA.
- Sendelbach, L. E. and Klassen, C. E. 1998. Kidney synthesizes less metallothionein than liver in response to cadmium chloride and cadmium metallothionein. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. 92, 95-102.
- Seneca, H., Henderson, E. and Collins, A. 1950. Bactericidal properties of yogurt. Am. Pract. Dig. Treat. 1, 1252-1259
- Shahani, K. M., Vakil, J. R. and Kilara, A. 1976. Natural antibiotic activity of Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bulgaricus. I. Cultural conditions for the production of antibiosis. Cultured Dairy Products J. 11, 14-17.
- Shahani, K. M. and Ayebo, A. D. 1980. Role of dietary Lactobacilli in gastrointestinal microecology. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 33, 2448-2457.
- Sheehan, P., Ricks, R., Ripple, S. and Paustenbach, D. 1992. Field evaluation of a sampling and analytical method for environmental levels of airbome hexavalent chromium. Am. Ind. Hyg. Assoc. J. 53, 57-68. https://doi.org/10.1080/15298669291359302
- Sorrells, K. M. and Speck, M. L. 1970. Inhibition of Salmonella gallinarum by culture Filtrates of Leuconostoc citrovorum. J. Dairy. Sci. 53, 239-241. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(70)86186-0
- Tramer, J. 1966. Inhibitory effect of Lactobacillus acidophilus. Nature 21, 204-205.
- Tsuchiya, K. 1978. Cadmium studies in japan. pp. 1-376, Kodansha, Tokyo.
- Lim, S. Y. 1995. The Effect of Korean green tea, oolong tea, and Persimmon leaf tea on eliminating heavy metal ion. Masters Thesis. Youngnam University, Daegu, Korea.
- Macfaddin, J. F. 1984 Biochemical tests for identification of medical bacteria, 2nd ed., Williams & Wilkins.
- Marth, E. H. 1997. Standard Method for the examination of diary Products. AVI Publishing Company 242.
- Mikoajcik, E. M. and Hamdan, I. Y. 1975. Lactobacillus acidophilus. ΙΙ. Antimicrobial agents. Cultured Dairy Products J. 10, 18-20.
- Muralidhara, K. S., Sheggery, G. G., Elliker, P. R., England, D. C. and Sandine, W. E. 1977. Effect of feeding Lactobacilli on the coliform and Lactobacillus flora of intestinal tissue and feces from piglets. J. Food Protect 40, 288.
- Oda, M. and Minami, K. 1978. Isolation and identification of cadmium ion-tolerant microorganisms and accumulation of cadmium ion by the cells. J. Ferment Technol. 46, 1046-1055.
- Peter, H. A., Ncholas, S., Elizabeth, M. and John, G. 1986. Bergey's manual of systematic bacteriology, pp. 1209-1219. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore.
- Reddy, G. V., Shahani, K. M. and Banerjee, M. R. 1973. Inhibitory effect of Yogurt on Ehrlich ascites tumor cell proliferation. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 50, 815-817.
- Ronald, M. 2002. Hand Book of Microbiological Media. CRC Press.
- Sandine, W. E. 1981. Function of intestinal lactic acid bacteria in humans. Second Annual National Symposium for Lacti Acid Bacteria and Health. Korea.
- Faeder, E. J., chanet, S. Q. and King, L. C. 1997. Biochemical and ultrastructural changes in livers of cadmium treated rats. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. 39, 473-483.
- Farmer, R. E., Reddy, G. V. and Shahani, K. M. 1974. Antitumor activity of yogurt fractions. J. Dairy Sci. 57, 582.
- Fuller, R. 1992. History and development of probiotics, The scientific basis, pp. 1-8, Champman and Hall, London.
- Goyer, R. A. 1986. Toxic effects of metals, Casarett and Doull′s Toxicology. The basic science of poison, pp. 582-596, 3rd ed., Macmillian Publishing Co, New York.
- Graeme, K. A. and Pollack, C. V. 1998. Heavy metal toxicity, Part2: Lead and metal fume fever. J. Emergency Med. 16, 171-177. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0736-4679(97)00283-7
- Han, J. H. and Lee, W. J. 2003. Nutritional characteristics and damage mitigation effects on heavy-metals exposure of Peking-duck by-product extracts added with medicinal herbs (II) damage mitigation effects on heavy-metals exposure of Peking-duck by-product extracts. J. East Asian Soc. Dietary Life 13, 293-304.
- Hartman, A. M. and Dryden, L. P. 1965. Vitamin in milk and milk products. Champaign, ΙΙΙ. Am. Dairy Assoc.
- Hong, C. M. 2001. Effect of repeated exposure to Pb acetate on hematopoietic function, testis and kidney in male rats. J. Toxicol. Pub. Health 17, 309-316.
- Jung, Y. S. 1991. The study of distribution and accumulation of heavy metals in rat organs. Masters Thesis. Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea.
- Lee, J. S. and White, K. L. 1980. A review of the health effects of cadmium. Am. J. Ind. Med. 1, 307-317. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajim.4700010308
- Alexander, J. and Aaseth, J. 1995. Uptake of chromium in human res blood cells and isolated rat liver cells: The role of the anion carrier. Analyst 120, 931-933. https://doi.org/10.1039/an9952000931
- Baek, Y. K. 2001. The study of characteristics of spectorometers for heavy metal analysis, Masters Thesis. The University of Seoul, Seoul, Korea.
- Bogdanov, I. G., Dalev, P. G. and Gurenich, A. I. 1975. Antitumor glycopeptides from Lactobacillus bulgaricus cell wall. FEBS Lett. 57, 259-261. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-5793(75)80312-7
- Clayton, G. D., Clyton, F. E., Beliles, R. P., David, R. M., Morgott, D. A., Donghue, J. L., Sandler, H. and Topping, D. C. 1994. Patty’s industrial hygiene and toxicology, pp. 1973-1983, 4th ed., New York, John Wiely & Sons, Inc.
- Conrad, M. E. and Barton, J. C. 1978. Factors affecting the absorpting and excretion of lead in the rat. Gastroenterology 74, 7313.
- Cowan, N. R. and Steel, K. J. 1984. Manual of the identification of medical bacteria, 2nd ed., Williams & Wilkins.
- Department of Labor. 1978. Occupational health guideline for chromic acid and chromates.
- Dudley, R. E., Svovoda, D. J. and Klaassen, C. D. 1982. Acute exposure to cadmium causes severe liver injury in rats. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. 65, 302-313. https://doi.org/10.1016/0041-008X(82)90013-8