- Volume 25 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Assessment of Bio-corrosive Effect and Determination of Controlling Targets among Microflora for Application of Multi-functional CFB on Cement Structure
다기능 탄산칼슘 형성세균의 시멘트 건축물 적용위한 부식능 평가 및 건축물 정주미생물 중 방제 대상 결정
- Received : 2014.11.04
- Accepted : 2014.12.07
- Published : 2015.02.28
The use of calcite-forming bacteria (CFB) in crack remediation and durability improvements in construction materials creates a permanent and environmentally-friendly material. Therefore, research into this type of application is stimulating interdisciplinary studies between microbiology and architectural engineering. However, the mechanisms giving rise to these materials are dependent on calcite precipitation by the metabolism of the CFB, which raises concerns about possible hazards to cement-based construction due to microbial metabolic acid production. The aim of this study was to determine target microorganisms that possibly can have bio-corrosive effects on cement mortar and to assess multi-functional CFBs for their safe application to cement structures. The chalky test was first used to evaluate the
- Schultze-Lam, S., Fortin, D., Davis, B. S. and Beveridge, T. J. 1996. Mineralization of bacterial surfaces. Chem. Geol. 132, 171-181. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-2541(96)00053-8
- Sofía, B., Lavin, P., Perdomo, I., Saravia, S. G. D. and Guiamet, P. 2012. Determination of indoor air quality in archives and biodeterioration of the documentary heritage. ISRN Microbiol. 10, 1-10
Stocks-Fischer, S., Galinat, J. K. and Bang, S. S. 1999. Microbiological precipitation of
$CaCO_3$. Soil Biol. Biochem. 31, 1563-1571. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0038-0717(99)00082-6
- Teather, R. M. and Wood, P. J. 1982. Use of Congo red polysaccharide interactions complex formation between Congo red and polysaccharide in detection and assay of polysaccharide hydrolases. Meth. Enzymol. 160, 59-74.
- Warscheid, Th. and Braams, J. 2010. Biodeterioration of stone: a review. Int. Biodeterior. Biodegradation 46, 343-368.
- Tiano, P., Biagiotti, L. and Mastromei, G. 1999. Bacterial bio-mediated calcite precipitation for monumental stones conservation: methods of evaluation. J. Microbiol. Methods 36, 139-145. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-7012(99)00019-6
- Tittelboom, K. V., Belie, N. D., Muynck, W. D. and Verstraete, W. 2010. Use of bacteria to repair cracks in concrete. Cem. Concr. Res. 40, 157-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2009.08.025
- Park, S. J., Park, Y. M., Chun, W. Y., Kim, W. J. and Ghim, S. Y. 2010. Calcite-forming bacteria for compressive strength improvement in mortar. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 20, 782-788.
- Park, S. J., Park, J. M., Kim, W. J. and Ghim, S. Y. 2012. Application of Bacillus subtilis 168 as a multifunctional agent for improvement of the durability of cement mortar. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 22, 1568-1574. https://doi.org/10.4014/jmb.1202.02047
- Park, J. M., Park, S. J., Kim, W. J. and Ghim, S. Y. 2012. Application of antifungal CFB to increase the durability of cement mortar. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 22, 1015-1020. https://doi.org/10.4014/jmb.1112.12027
- Park, J. M., Park, S. J. and Ghim, S. Y. 2012. Arthrobacter nicotianae KNUC2100 and a cement additive for durability improvement and crack reparing of cement paste or concrete containing the same. Korea patent 10-2012-0027945.
- Park, J. M., Park, S. J. and Ghim, S. Y. 2012. Bacillus aryabhattai KNUC205 and a cement additive for durability improvement and crack reparing of cement paste or concrete containing the same. Korea patent 10-2012-0019787.
- Park, J. M., Park, S. J. and Ghim, S. Y. 2012. Bacillus thuringiensis KNUC2103 and a cement additive for durability improvement and crack reparing of cement paste or concrete containing the same. Korea patent 10-2012-0027951.
- Park, J. M., Park, S. J. and Ghim, S. Y. 2012. Stenotrophomonas maltophila KNUC2106 and a cement additive for durability improvement and crack reparing of cement paste or concrete containing the same. Korea patent 10-2012-0027940.
- Park, S. K., Kim, J. H. J., Nam, J. W., Phan, H. D. and Kim, J. K. 2009. Development of anti-fungal mortar and concrete using Zeolite and Zeocarbon microcapsules. Cem. Concr. Compo. 31, 447-453. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2009.04.012
- Ramacjandran, S. K., Ramakrishnan, V. and Bang, S. S. 2001. Remediation of concrete using microorganism. ACI Mater. 98, 3-9.
- Hammes, F., Boon, N., Villiers, J. D., Verstraete, W. and Siciliano, S. D. 2003. Strain-specific ureolytic microbial calcium carbonate precipitation. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 69, 4901-4909. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.69.8.4901-4909.2003
- Jonkers, H. M., Thijssen, A., Muyzer, G., Copuroglu, O. and Schlangena, E. 2010. Application of bacteria as self-healing agent for the development of sustainable concrete. Ecol. Eng. 36, 230-235. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2008.12.036
- Min, S. G., Kim, J. H., Kim, T. W. and Kim, K. N. 2003. Isolation and identification of protease producing bacteria in kimchi. Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. 35, 666-670.
- Nica, D., Davis, J. L., Kirby, L., Zuo, G. and Roberts, D. J. 2000. Isolation and characterization of microorganisms involved in the biodeterioration of concrete in sewers. Int. Biodeterior. Biodegradation 46, 61-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0964-8305(00)00064-0
- Nolan, E., Basheer, P. A. M. and Long, A. E. 1995. Effects of three durability enhancing products on some physical properties of near surface concrete. Constr. Build. Mater. 9, 267-272. https://doi.org/10.1016/0950-0618(95)00020-G
- Pangallo, D., Chovanová, K., Simonovicová, A. and Ferianc, P. 2009. Investigation of microbial community isolated from indoor artworks and air environment: identification, biodegradative abilities, and DNA typing. Can. J. Microbiol. 55, 277-287. https://doi.org/10.1139/w08-136
- Park, J. M., Park, S. J. and Ghim, S. Y. 2011. Isolation of fungal deteriogens inducing aesthetical problems and antifungal calcite forming bacteria from the tunnel and their characteristics. Kor. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 39, 287-293.
- Park, S. J., Lee, N. Y., Kim, W. J. and Ghim, S. Y. 2010. Application of bacteria isolated from Dokdo for improving compressive strength and crack remediation of cement-sand mortar. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 20, 782-788.
- Ascaso, C., Wierzchos, J. and Castello, R. 1998. Study of the biogenic weathering of calcereous litharenite stones caused by lichen and endolithic microorganisms. Int. Biodeterior. Biodegradation 42, 29-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0964-8305(98)00043-2
- Boquet, E., Boronat, A. and Ramos-Cormenzana, A. 1973. Production of calcite (calcium carbonate) crystals by soil bacteria is a general phenomenon. Nature 246, 527-529. https://doi.org/10.1038/246527a0
- Muynck, W. D., Belle, N. D. and Verstraete, W. 2010. Antimicrobial mortar surface for the improvement of hygienic conditions. J. Appl. Microbiol. 108, 62-72. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2009.04395.x
- Muynck, W. D., Belie, N. D. and Verstraete, W. 2010. Microbial carbonate precipitation in construction materials: a review. Ecol. Eng. 36, 118-136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2009.02.006
- Diakumaku, E., Gorbushin, A. A., Krumbein, W. E., Panina, L. and Soukharjevski, S. 1995. Black fungi in marble and limestones-an aesthetical, chemical and physical problem for the conservation of monuments. Sci. Total Environ. 167, 295-304. https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-9697(95)04590-W
- Do, J. G., Song, H., So, H. S. and Soh, Y. S. 2005. Antifungal effects of cement mortar with two types of organic antifungal agents. Cem. Concr. Res. 35, 371-376. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2004.06.021
- Ghosh, P., Mandal, S., Chattopadhyay, B. D. and Pal, S. 2005. Use of microorganism to improve the strength of cement mortar. Cem. Concr. Res. 35, 1980-1983. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2005.03.005
- Ghosh, S., Biswas, M., Chattopadhyay, B. D. and Mandal, S. 2009. Microbial activity on the microstructure of bacteria modified mortar. Cem. Concr. Comp. 31, 93-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2009.01.001
- Gu, J. D., Ford, T. E., Berke, N. S. and Mitchell, R. 1998. Biodeterioration of concrete by the fungus Fusarium. Int. Biodeterior. Biodegradation 41, 101-109. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0964-8305(98)00034-1
- Achal, V., Mukherjee, A., Basu, P. C. and Reddy, M. S. 2009. Strain improvement of Sporosarcina pasteurii for enhanced urease and calcite production. J. Ind. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 36, 981-988. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10295-009-0578-z
- A strategy for securing unique microbial resources – focusing on Dokdo islands-derived microbial resources pp.2224-4662, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1163/22244662-20181024
Supported by : 한국연구재단