- Volume 13 Issue 4
A decimation chain for multi-standard reconfigurable radios is presented for 900-MHz and 1,900-MHz dual-band cellular standards with a data interpolator based on the Lagrange method for adjusting the variable data rate to a fixed data rate appropriate for each standard. The two proposed configurations are analyzed and compared to provide insight into aliasing and the signal bandwidth by means of a newly introduced measure called interpolation error. The average interpolation error is reduced as the ratio of the sampling frequency to the signal BW is increased. The decimation chain and the multi-rate analog-to-digital converter are simulated to compute the interpolation error and the output signal-to-noise ratio. Further, a method to operate the above-mentioned chain under a compressed mode of operation is proposed in order to guarantee continuous packet connectivity for inter-radio-access technologies. The presented decimation chain can be applied to LTE, WCDMA, GSM multi-mode multi-band digital front-end which will ultimately lead to the software-defined radio.
Aliasing;Compressed mode;Continuous packet connectivity;Decimation;Interpolator;Polynomial
- P. M. Aziz, H. V. Sorensen, and J. van der Spiegel, "An overview of sigma-delta converters," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 61-84, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/79.482138
- B. A. White and M. I. Elmasry, "Low-power design of decimation filters for a digital IF receiver," IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 339-345, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/92.845900
- H. M. Chang, J. S. Yang, and W. C. Lee, "Low-latency digital-IF scheme using an IIR polyphase filter structure for delay-sensitive repeater systems," IEICE Transactions on Fundamentals of Electronics, Communications, and Computer Sciences, vol. 94A, no. 8, pp. 1715-1723, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1587/transfun.E94.A.1715
- M. Kim, T. Moteki, K. Ichige, and H. Arai, "Efficient heterodyne digital receiver with direct RF-to-digital conversion for software defined radio," IEICE Transactions on Fundamentals of Electronics, Communications, and Computer Sciences, vol. 92A, no. 4, pp. 1056-1062, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1587/transfun.E92.A.1056
- G. Hueber, R. Stuhlberger, and A. Springer, "An adaptive digital front-end for multimode wireless receivers," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 349-353, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSII.2008.918976
- R. Uusikartano and J. Takala, "A low-power fractional decimator architecture for an IF-sampling dual-mode receiver," in Proceedings of the International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS'04), Vancouver, Canada, pp. 589-592, 2004.
- T. K. Shahana, B. R. Jose, K. P. Jacob, and S. Sasi, "Decimation filter design toolbox for multi-standard wireless transceivers using MATLAB," International Journal of Signal Processing, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 154-163, 2009.
- F. M. Gardner, "Interpolation in digital modems. Part I: Fundamentals," IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 501-507, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1109/26.221081
- L. Erup, F. M. Gardner, and R. A. Harris, "Interpolation in digital modems. Part II: Implementation and performance," IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 998-1008, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1109/26.231921
- H. Meyr, M. Moeneclaey, and S. A. Fechtel, Digital Communi-cation Receivers. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons, 1998, pp. 505-532.
- V. Ramakrishnan and P. T. Balsara, "A wide-range, high-resolution, compact, CMOS time to digital converter," in Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on VLSI Design, Hyderabad, India, 2006.