- Volume 29 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Study on Resistance Component of Container Ship According to Trim Conditions
트림 변화에 따른 컨테이너선의 저항성분별 특성 연구
- Received : 2015.08.19
- Accepted : 2015.12.17
- Published : 2015.12.31
The shipping and shipbuilding industries have had business difficulties since the implementation of regulations on the CO2 emissions from ships by IMO and the occurrence of the global financial crisis in 2008. Under this global recession, most shipping firms have started to operate their fleets at slow steaming rates with the goal of improving the profit ratio per transported unit. This study analyzed the resistance performance of a 6,800 TEU container ship corresponding to its trim variation with slow steaming, compared with that at its original design speed. Two different grid systems were used for the numerical calculation, one that considered the free surface allowing the capture of the dynamic trim and one that did not. This made it possible to clearly classify each resistance component to provide useful information to hull-form designers. In addition, a form factor assumption method using CFD was used for a reasonable effective power prediction in compliance with the 1978 ITTC performance prediction method. It was found that the total resistance of a 6,800 TEU container ship was reduced by 2.6% in the case of a 1-m trim at the bow at 18 kn.
Slow steaming;Resistance performance;Trim variation;Form factor
- Jung, N.-T., 2011. Recent International Development on the Technical and Operational Measures of IMO’s CO2 Emission Control From Ships. Journal of the Korean Society for Marine Environmental Engineering, 14(1), 65-71. https://doi.org/10.7846/JKOSMEE.2011.14.1.065
- Lee, J.-K., 2012. Study on the Resistance Performance of Ships with Initial Trim. Master’s Thesis, Korea Maritime University, Korea.
- Park, D.-W., Lee, S.-B., Chung, S.-S., Seo H.-W., Kwon, J.-W., 2013. Effect of Trim on Resistance Performance of a Ship. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 50(2), 88-94. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2013.50.2.88
- Park, S.H., Lee, S,-B., Lee, Y.-M., 2014. Study on the Estimation of the Optimum Trims in Container Carriers by using CFD Analysis of Ship Resistance. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 51(5), 429-434. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2014.51.5.429
- Park, J., Kim, N,, 2014. A Comparison and Analysis of Ship Optimal Routing Scenarios considering Ocean Environment. Journal of the Society of Naval Architectures of Korea, 50(2), 99-106.
- Seo, D.W., Park, H.S., Han, K.M., 2015. Analysis of Resistance Performance for Various Trim Conditions on Container ship Using CFD. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology 29(3), 224-230. https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2015.29.3.224
- Sherbaz, S., Duan, W., 2014. Ship Trim Optimization : Assessment of Influence of Trim on Resistance of MOERI Container Ship. The Scientific World Journal, 1-6.
- Buhaug, O., Corbertt, J.J., Endresen, O., Eyring, V., Faber, J.,Hanayama, S., Lee, D.S., Lee, D., Lindstad, H., Mjelde, A, Palsson, C., Wanquing, W., Winebrake, J.J., Yoshida, K., 2009. Second IMO GHG Study. 1-40.