- Volume 29 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Study on Performance Evaluation of Subsea Waterjet Trenching Machine Using Water Tank
수조실험을 통한 해저지반 굴삭용 워터젯 장비의 성능평가에 관한 연구
- Na, Kyoung-Won ;
- Jo, Hyo-Jae ;
- Baek, Dong-Il ;
- Hwan, Jae-Hyuk ;
- Han, Sung-Hoon ;
- Jang, Min-Suk ;
- Kim, Jae-Heui
- Received : 2015.09.10
- Accepted : 2015.12.17
- Published : 2015.12.31
The demand for subsea cables and pipelines that transfer marine energy resources onshore has recently increased. Laying these underground after trenching is one engineering method to stabilize exposed subsea cables and pipelines. This experimental study found the optimum conditions for operating two types of waterjet arms mounted on an ROV trencher. A waterjet arm for trenching the seabed was scaled down at a ratio of 1:6, and a comparative analysis was conducted using diverse parameters. The results of this research provide a practical fundamental database to assist in making decisions about the ROV trencher performance in advance.
Subsea trenching machine;Waterjet trenching;ROV trencher;Trenching depth;Trenching speed
Pharos Offshore Group, 2013. ITAT1000 Trenching ROV. [Online] Available at: <
http://www.pharosoffshoregroup.com/services/equipment/itat1000/> [Accessed 13 Dec. 2013].
- Su, J.C.C., Perng A.T.H., Capart. H., 2007. Underwater Trenching Incision and Turbid Overspill due to Moving Point Jets. Proceedings of the 32nd International Association for Hydro-Environment Engineering and Research (IAHR) Congress, Venice, Italy, 544
- Adamson, J.E., Kolle, J.J., 1996. Development of a Waterjetting Cable Burial System for a Broad Range of Soils in up to 2500 Meters of Seawater. Presentation at Underwater Intervention ‘96, Marine Technology Society.
- Berghe, J.V., Capart, H., Su, J.C.C., 2008. Jet Induced Trenching Operations: Mechanisms Involved. Proceeding of Offshore Technology Conference, OTC (19441), USA.
- Berghe, J.V., Pyrah, J., Gooding, S., Capart, H., 2011. Development of a Jet Trenching Model in Sand. Frontiers in Offshore Geotechnics II, 889-894
- Kim, H.A., 2006. A Study on the Basic Design of Sub-sea Trenching Machine Using Water Jetting. MSc thesis, Graduated Institute of Ocean system Engineering, Korea Maritime and Ocean University.
- Li, J.H., Kim, J.T., Lee, M.J., Lee, W.S., Han, S.C., Lee, J.W., Pyo, S.H., 2014. Consideration on Optimal Construction of Thrust System for Improvement of ROV Trencher’s Cable Burying Performance. 29th ICROS Annual Conference. 482-483.
- O’Donoghue, T., Trajkovic, B., Piggins, J., 2001. Sand Bed Response to Submerged Water Jet. Proceeding of the Eleventh International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, 66-72.
- Perng, A.T.H., Capart, H., 2008. Underwater Sand Bed Erosion and Internal Jump Formation by Travelling Plane Jets. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 595, 1-43.