- Volume 5 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Non-pharmacological interventions for depression in Persian medicine
Yousofpour, Mohammad;Kamalinejad, Mohammad;Esfahani, Mohammad Mahdi;Iran-nejad, Sharzad;Shorofi, Seyed Afshin;Shams, Jamal
- Received : 2015.04.23
- Accepted : 2015.11.23
- Published : 2015.11.30
Depression is an important medical problem in today's world. Despite its high prevalence, treatment of depression remains problematic, as its cause is still not fully understood. Of the ways recommended to tackle this problem is implementing the potentials of various medical schools. A medical school which has played an important role in the history of medicine in the world is Persian medicine. This study was intended to identify non-pharmacological interventions for depression in the most reliable references on Persian medicine, classify these interventions and compare them with the latest medical findings. The study was set to review the most reliable references on Persian medicine. In addition, relevant keywords were used to search the PubMed and Scopus databases. In Persian medicine sources, melancholia is categorized into three main types. One type is regarded as cerebral melancholia, which resembles modern psychiatry's depression closely. Therefore, some key points put forth by Persian medicine scholars regarding melancholia can be used to answer questions concerning depressive disorders and their etiology and treatment. Although recent studies have confirmed most approaches offered by Persian medicine physicians in ancient Persia, it is imperative to design and conduct clinical trial studies according to these approaches.
melancholia;depression;traditional medicine;treatment;music therapy;aromatherapy;nutrition therapy
- Shimizu Y, Yamada S, Miyake F, Izumi T; PTMaTCH Collaborators. The effects of depression on the course of functional limitations in patients with chronic heart failure. J Card Fail. 2011;17:503-510. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cardfail.2011.01.005
- Stockmeier CA. Neurobiology of serotonin in depression and suicide. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1997;836:220-232. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.1997.tb52362.x
- Sullivan MD, LaCroix AZ, Spertus JA, Hecht J, Russo J. Depression predicts revascularization procedures for 5 years after coronary angiography. Psychosom Med. 2003;65:229-236. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.PSY.0000058370.50240.AA
- Tavakkoli-Kakhki M, Motavasselian M, Mosaddegh M, Esfahani MM, Kamalinejad M, Nematy M. Food-Based Strategies for Depression Management From Iranian Traditional Medicine Resources. Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2014;16:141-151. https://doi.org/10.5812/ircmj.14151
- Trockel M, Manber R, Chang V, Thurston A, Taylor CB. An e-mail delivered CBT for sleep-health program for college students: effects on sleep quality and depression symptoms. J Clin Sleep Med. 2011;7:276-281.
- Yim VW, Ng AK, Tsang HW, Leung AY. A review on the effects of aromatherapy for patients with depressive symptoms. J Altern Complement Med. 2009;15:187-195. https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2008.0333
- Young EA, Korzun A. The hypothalamic pituitary-gonadal axis in mood disorders. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2002;31:63-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0889-8529(01)00002-0
- Yousofpour M, Kamalinejad M, Esfahani MM, Shams J, Hoshdar Tehrani H, Bahrami M. Role of Heart and its Diseases in the Etiology of Depression According to Avicenna’s Point of View and its Comparison with Views of Classic Medicine. Int J Prev Med. 2015;6:49. https://doi.org/10.4103/2008-7802.158178
- Loving RT, Kripke DF, Knickerbocker NC, Grandner MA. Bright green light treatment of depression for older adults. BMC Psychiatry. 2005;5:42. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-244X-5-42
- Luber MP, Meyers BS, Williams-Russo PG, Hollenberg JP, DiDomenico TN, Charlson ME. Depression and service utilization in elderly primary care patients. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2001;9:169-176. https://doi.org/10.1097/00019442-200105000-00009
- Murray CJ, Lopez, AD. Alternative projections of mortality and disability by cause 1990-2020: Global burden Disease Study. Lancet. 1997;349:1498-1504. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(96)07492-2
- Penninx BW, Beekman AT, Honig A, Deeg DJH, Schoevers RA, van Eijk JT, van Tilburg W. Depression and cardiac mortality: results from a community-based longitudinal study. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2001;58:221-227. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.58.3.221
- Pozuelo L, Zhang J, Franco K, Tesar G, Penn M, Jiang W. Depression and heart disease: what do we know, and where are we headed? Cleve Clin J Med. 2009;76:59-70. https://doi.org/10.3949/ccjm.75a.08011
- Rosengren A, Hawken S, Ounpuu S, Sliwa K, Zubaid M, Almahmeed WA, Blackett KN, Sitthi-amorn C, Sato H, Yusuf S; INTERHEART investigators. Association of psychosocial risk factors with risk of acute myocardial infarction in 11119 cases and 13648 controls from 52 countries (the INTERHEART study): case-control study. Lancet. 2004;364:953-962. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(04)17019-0
- Rush AJ. The varied clinical presentations of major depressive disorder. J Clin Psychiatry. 2007;68:4-10. https://doi.org/10.4088/JCP.0207e04
- Saljoughian M, Nutrition and Clinical Depression. US Pharm. 2009;11:19.
- Sarris J, Schoendorfer N, Kavanagh DJ. Major depressive disorder and nutritional medicine: a review of monotherapies and adjuvant treatments. Nutr Rev. 2009;67:125-131. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1753-4887.2009.00180.x
- Fachner J, Gold C, Erkkilä J. Music Therapy Modulates Fronto-Temporal Activity in Rest-EEG in Depressed Clients. Brain Topogr. 2013;26:338-354. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10548-012-0254-x
- Frasure-Smith N, Lespérance F, Talajic M. Depression following myocardial infarction.Impact on 6-month survival. JAMA. 1993;270:1819-1825. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1993.03510150053029
- Jiang W, Alexander J, Christopher E, Kuchibhatla M, Gaulden LH, Cuffe MS, Blazing MA, Davenport C, Califf RM, Krishnan RR, O’Connor CM. Relationship of depression to increased risk of mortality and rehospitalization in patients with congestive heart failure. Arch Intern Med. 2001;161:1849-1856. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.161.15.1849
- John Ayto. Word Origins. 2nd edition. (London, U.K.: A&C Black), p 229, 2005.
- Jun EM, Roh YH, Kim MJ. The effect of music-movement therapy on physical and psychological states of stroke patients. J Clin Nurs. 2013;22:22-31. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2012.04243.x
- Kaplan V, Sadock B. Pocket Handbook of Clinical Psychiatry. 5th ed. (Tehran, Iran: Arjmand publication), 2010.
- Kir’ianova VV, Baburin IN, goncharova VG, Veselovskiĭ AB. The use of phototherapy and photochromotherapy in the combined treatment of the patients presenting with astheno-depressive syndrome and neurotic disorders. Vopr Kurortol Fizioter Lech FizKult. 2012;1:3-6.
- Lawson EA, Donoho D, Miller KK, Misra M, Meenaghan E, Lydecker J, Wexler T, Herzog DB, Klibanski A. Hypercortisolemia is associated with severity of bone loss and depression in hypothalamic amenorrhea and anorexia nervosa. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009;94:4710-4716. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2009-1046
- Lee IS, Lee GJ .Effects of lavender aromatherapy on insomnia and depression in women college students. Taehan Kanho Hakhoe Chi. 2006;36:136-143.
- Blumenthal JA, Lett HS, Babyak MA, White W, Smith PK, Mark DB, Jones R, Mathew JP, Newman MF; NORG Investigators. Depression as a risk factor for mortality after coronary artery bypass surgery. Lancet. 2003;362:604-609. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)14190-6
- Braunwald E, Bonow RO. Cardiovascular Medicine. In Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 9 ed. (Philadelphia, U.S.A: Elsevier Saunders), pp.1042-1047, 2012.
- Carney RM, Freedland KE. Depression, mortality, and medical morbidity in patients with coronary heart disease. Biol Psychiatry. 2003;54:241-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-3223(03)00111-2
- Chang SY. Effects of aroma hand massage on pain, state anxiety and depression in hospice patients with terminal cancer. Taehan Kanho Hakhoe Chi. 2008;38:493-502.
- Conrad P, Adams C. The effects of clinical aromatherapy for anxiety and depression in the high risk postpartum woman - a pilot study. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2012;18:164-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctcp.2012.05.002
- Cross K, Flores R, Butterfield J, Blackman M, Lee S. The effect of passive listening versus active observation of music and dance performances on memory recognition and mild to moderate depression in cognitively impaired older adults. Psychol Rep. 2012;111:413-423. https://doi.org/10.2466/10.02.13.PR0.111.5.413-423
- Diehl Dj, Greshon S. The role of dopamine in mood disorders. Comp Psychiatry. 1992;33:115-120. https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-440X(92)90007-D
- Dundon CM, Rellini AH, Tonani S, Santamaria V, Nappi R. Mood disorders and sexual functioning in women with functional hypothalamic amenorrhea. FertilSteril. 2010;94:2239-2243.
- Emtiazy M, Keshavarz M, Khodadoost M, Kamalinejad M, Gooshahgir SG, Shahrad Bajestani H, Hashem Dabbaghian F, Alizad M. Relation between Body Humors and Hypercholesterolemia: An Iranian Traditional Medicine Perspective Based on the Teaching of Avicenna. Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2012;14:133-138.
- Abolhassani, Z. Review of prevention and Treatment of mental Disease from point of Iranian Traditional Medicine. Medical History. 2013;14:135-152.
- Almeida OP, Alfonso H, Yeap BB, Hankey GJ, Flicker L. Cardiovascular diseases do not influence the mental health outcome of older men with depression over 6 years. J Affect Disord. 2012;144:248-252. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2012.06.043
- Avicenna. The Canon of Medicine of Avicenna. (New York, USA: AMS PRESS INC.), 1973.
- Baker D. The Oxford Handbook of the History of Psychology Global Perspective. (Oxford, England: Oxford University Press, Inc.), 2012.