- Volume 31 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Title of Article: Current status of viral disease spread in Korean horn beetle, Allomyrina dichotoma (Coleoptera: Scarabeidae)
Lee, Seokhyun;Kim, Hong-Geun;Park, Kwan-ho;Nam, Sung-hee;Kwak, Kyu-won;Choi, Ji-young
- Received : 2015.10.14
- Accepted : 2015.11.03
- Published : 2015.12.31
The current market size of insect industry in Korea is estimated at 300 million dollars and more than 500 local farms are related to many insect industry. One of the strong candidates for insect industry is Korean horn beetle, Allomyrina dichotoma. Early this year, we reported a viral disease extremely fatal to A. dichotoma larvae. While we were proceeding a nationwide investigation of this disease, it was informed that similar disease symptom has been occurred occasionally during past over 10 years. The symptom can be easily confused with early stage of bacterial infection or physiological damage such as low temperature and high humidity. A peroral infection with the purified virus to healthy larvae produced a result that only 21% of larvae survived and became pupae. Although some of the survived adult beetle was deformational, many of them had no abnormal appearance and even succeeded in mating. Later, these beetles were examined if they were carrying the virus, and all except one were confirmed as live virus carrier. This implies that these beetles may fly out and spread the disease to the nature. We found the evidence for this possibility by collecting a few wild A. dichotoma larvae which were virus infected, near two local farms rearing A. dichotoma larvae. So far, transovarial transmission of this virus to the eggs, or horizontal transmission to other commercially reared insects is not known yet.
- Sagisaka A, Miyanoshita A, Ishibashi J, Yamakawa M (2001) Purification, characterization and gene expression of a glycine and proline-rich antibacterial protein family from larvae of a beetle, Allomyrina dichotoma. Insect Mol. Biol 10, 293-302. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0962-1075.2001.00261.x
- Van Huis A (2013) Potential of insects as food and feed in assuring food security. Annu Rev Entomol 58, 563-583. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-ento-120811-153704
- Wang Y, Bininda-Emonds O, Oers MM, Vlak JM, Jehle JA (2011) The genome of Oryctes rhinoceros nudivirus provides novel insight into the evolution of nuclear arthropod-specific large circular doublestranded DNA viruses. Virus Genes 42, 444-456. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11262-011-0589-5
- Youn K, Kim JY, Yeo H, Yun EY, Hwang JS, Jun M (2012) Fatty acid and volatile oil compositions of Allomyrina dichotoma larvae. Prev Nutr Food Sci 17, 310-314. https://doi.org/10.3746/pnf.2012.17.4.310
- Chung MY, Yoon YI, Hwang JS, Goo TW, Yun EY (2014) Antiobesity effect of Allomyrina dichotoma (Arthropoda: Insecta) larvae ethanol extract on 3T3-L1 adipocyte differentiation. Entomol Res 44, 9-16. https://doi.org/10.1111/1748-5967.12044
- Huger AM (2005) The Oryctes virus: Its detection, identification, and implementation in biological control of the coconut palm rhinoceros beetle, Oryctes rhinoceros (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae). J Inverteb Pathol 89, 78-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jip.2005.02.010
- Kim DS, Huh J, You GC, Chae SC, Lee OS, Lee HB et al. (2007) Allomyrina dichotoma larva extracts protect streptozotocin-induced oxidative cytotoxicity. Environ Health Toxicol 22, 349-355.
- Koyama Y, Motobu M, Hikosaka K, Yamada M, Nakamura K, Saido-Sakanaka H et al. (2006) Protective effects of antimicrobial peptides derived from the beetle Allomyrina dichotoma defensin on endotoxic shock in mice. Int J Immunopharmacol 6, 234-240. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intimp.2005.08.008
- Lee KJ, Lee JB (2009) Protective effect of Allomyrina dichotoma larva extract on tert-butyl hydroperoxide-induced oxidative hepatotoxicity. Korean J Environ Biol 27, 230-236.
- Lee S, Park KH, Nam SH, Kwak KW, Choi JY (2015) First report of Oryctes rhinoceros nudivirus (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae) causing severe disease in Allomyrina dichotoma in Korea. J Insect Sci 15, 1-3. https://doi.org/10.1093/jisesa/ieu165
- Ramle M, Wahid MB, Norman K, Glare TR, Jackson TA (2005) The incidence and use of Oryctes virus for control of rhinoceros beetle in oil palm plantations in Malaysia. J Inverteb Pathol 89, 85-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jip.2005.02.009
- Raubenheimer D, Rothman JM (2013) Nutritional ecology of entomophagy in humans and other primates. Annu Rev Entomol 58, 141-160. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-ento-120710-100713
Grant : 사육곤충에서 발생되는 주요 질병의 신속진단기술 개발