- Volume 24 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Feasibility Test of LPG Vehicles by Using DME-LPG Blends
DME-LPG 혼합연료를 사용한 LPG 차량의 실증평가
Youn, Jumin;Lee, Minho;Park, Cheonkyu;Hwang, Inha;Ha, Jonghan;Kang, Yong
- Received : 2015.08.26
- Accepted : 2015.12.15
- Published : 2015.12.31
Dimethyl ether (DME) can be used as a clean diesel alternative fuel due to the high cetane number and low emission, it can also be applied to automotive fuel as a blended liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) because physical properties are similar to those of LPG. In this study, feasibility test of LPG vehicle using blended DME-LPG fuel was investigated. Three types of fuel supply such as LPLi (Liquid phase LPG injection), LPGi (Liquid phase gas injection) and mixer type were selected to consider the LPG fuel-injection system. The performance characteristics of LPG vehicle were examined by using LPG and blended DME-LPG fuel in order to compare the exhaust emissions (CO, THC,
DME;LPG;Alternative fuel;Emission;Fuel economy
- Semelsberger, T. A., Borup, R. L. and Greene, H. L.: "Dimethyl ether (DME) as an alternative fuel", J. of Power Sources, Vol. 156, 497-511, (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2005.05.082
- Arcoumanis, C., Bae, C., Crookes, R. and Kinoshita, E.: "The potential of di-methyl Ether (DME) as an alternative fuel for compression-ignition engines: A review", Fuel, Vol. 87, 1014-1030, (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2007.06.007
- Cho, W. J. and Kim, S. S.: "Current status and technical development for di-methyl ether as a new and renewable energy", J. Korean Ind. Eng. Chem., Vol. 20, 355-362, (2009).
- Oguma, M., "DME standards update & Overview", 6th International DME Conference, San Diego, (2014).
- JIS K 2180-1, "Dimethylether for fuels", Japanese Standard Association, (2013).
- ASTM D7901, "Standard specification for dimethyl ether for fuel purposes", ASTM International, (2014)
- ISO 16861, "Petroleum products-Fuels (class F) -Specifications of dimethyl ether", International Organization for Standardization, (2015).
- KS M 2078, "Determination of hydrocarbons and dimethyl ether (DME) in liquefied petroleum gases (LPG) and LPG-DME mixtures-Gas chromatography (GC)", Korean Agency for Technology and Standards, (2013)
- Fleisch, T. H., Basu, A. and Sills, R. A.: "Introduction and advancement of a new clean global fuel: The status of DME developments in China and beyond", J. of Natural Gas Sci. and Eng., Vol. 9, 94-107, (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jngse.2012.05.012
- Marchionna, M., Patrini, R., Sanfilippo, D. and Migliavacca, G.: "Fundamental investigations on di-methyl ether (DME) as LPG substitute or make-up for domestic uses", Fuel Process. Tech., Vol. 89, 1255-1261, (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuproc.2008.07.013
- Marchionna, M.: "Behavior of mixture of dimethyl-ether (DME) and LPG", AEGPL Congress, May 13-15, Wien, Austria, (2009).
- US patent 5,632,786: "Process and fuel for spark ignition engines", (1997).
- Lee, S. H., Oh, S. M., Choi, Y., Kang, K. Y., Choi, W. H. and Cha, K. O.: "The effect of n-butane and propane on performance and emissions of a SI engine operated with LPG/DME blended fuel", Transactions of KSAE, Vol. 17, 35-42, (2009).
- Lee, S. H., Oh, S. M., Kang, K. Y., Choi, W. H. and Cha, K. O.: "Performance and emissions of a SI engine operated with LPG-DME blended fuel", Transactions of KSAE, Vol. 16, 175-182, (2008).
- Youn, J. M., Park, C. K., Yim, E. S. and Jung, C. S.: "Determination method of hydrocarbon compounds in DME-LPG blending fuels by gas chromatography with Deans switching", Korean Chem. Eng. Res., Vol. 50, 353-357, (2012). https://doi.org/10.9713/kcer.2012.50.2.353
- Baek, Y. S.: "Development of technology on the facilities and vehicles for application of DMELPG mixture fuels", MOTIE, (2011).
- Azizi, Z., Rezaeimanesh, M., Tohidian, T. and Rahimpour, M. R.: "Dimethyl ether: A review of technologies and production challenges", Chem. Eng. & Process., Vol. 82, 150-172, (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cep.2014.06.007
Grant : DME-LPG 혼합연료 적용 설비 및 차량에 대한 기술개발
Supported by : 지식경제부