- Volume 30 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Study on Antioxidant and Anti-inflammatory Activities of Persicaria tinctoria
쪽의 항산화 및 항염증 활성에 대한 연구
- Received : 2015.10.13
- Accepted : 2015.11.06
- Published : 2015.11.30
Objectives : Persicaria tinctoria belongs to the Polygonaceae family and it has been used as the natural dye traditionally. Also, it is well known that the Persicaria tinctoria is used for treating the following symptoms such as fever, inflammation and edema. The purpose of this study is to investigate the effective source of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agent from various parts of Persicaria tinctoria.Methods : We investigated the antioxidative and anti-inflammatory properties of the Persicaria tinctoria extracts. Antioxidant activities were measured by 1,1-diphenyl-2- picrylhydrazyl (DPPH), 2, 2'-Azino-bis (3-ethylbenzothiazoline-6-sulfonic acid) diammonium salt (ABTS) radical scavenging activity, Fe2+ chelating activity and Reducing power of Persicaria tinctoria extracts. And its inhibitory effect against oxidative DNA damage was evaluated in non-cellular system using φX-174 RF I plasmin DNA. The anti-inflammatory effect of Persicaria tinctoria was measured by using the inhibitory efficacy for the amount of nitric-oxide (NO) produced in LPS induced RAW264.7 cells.Results : The extracts from stem part showed better DPPH scavenging activity compared to those of the leaf and root extracts. Their IC50s were measured as 7.17, 144.40 and 165.07 ug/ml, respectively. These results were similar to that of ABTS radical scavenging assay and reducing power. Also, Persicaria tinctoria showed the protective effects of DNA damage against oxidative stress and anti-inflammatory effect by suppression of NO production in LPS induced RAW264.7 cells.Conclusions : These results showed that various parts of Persicaria tinctoria can be used as an effective source of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents via antioxidative activities and anti-inflammatory effect.
Persicaria tinctoria;DPPH;Fe2+ chelating;anti-inflammation
- Konyahoglu S, Saglam H, Kivcak B. α-tocophenol, flavonoid, and phenol contents and antioxidant activity of Ficus carica leaves. Phar Biol. 2005 ; 43 : 683-6. https://doi.org/10.1080/13880200500383538
- Harold ES, Darrell EA, Evan IF, John AM. A review of the interaction among dietary antioxidants and reactive oxygen species. J Nut Biochem. 2007 ; 18 : 567-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2006.10.007
- Maxwell SJ. Prospects for the use of antioxidant therapies. Drugs. 1995 ; 49 : 345-61. https://doi.org/10.2165/00003495-199549030-00003
- Marnett L. Oxiradicals and DNA damage. Carcinogenesis. 2000 ; 21 : 361-70. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/21.3.361
- Oh SJ. Aging of Human Body. Seoul : Tamkudang. 2005 : 204-5.
- Willoughby DA. Heberden Oration, 1974. Human arthritis applied to animal models. Towards a better therapy. Ann Rheum Dis. 1975 ; 34 : 471-8. https://doi.org/10.1136/ard.34.6.471
- Chung EK, Seo EH, Park JH, Shim JH, Kim KH and Lee BR. Anti-inflammaatory and anti-allergic effect of extracts from organic soybean. Kor J Org Agric. 2011 ; 2 : 245-53.
- Delanty N, Dichter MA. Oxidative injury in the nervous system. Acta Neurol Scand. 1998 ; 117 : 463-46.
- Azad N, Rojanasakul Y, Vallyathan V. Inflammation and lung cancer: roles of reactive oxygen/oxygen/nitrogen species. J Toxicol Env Heal B. 2008 ; 11 : 11-5. https://doi.org/10.1080/10937400701436460
- Scalbert A1, Manach C, Morand C, Rémésy C, Jiménez L. Dietary polyphenols and the prevention of diseases. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2005 ; 45(4) : 287-306. https://doi.org/10.1080/1040869059096
- Seo BI, Lee JH, Choi HY, Kwon DR, Boo YM. Herbologycal Study on herbal medicine. Seoul : Youngrim. 2008 : 761-6.
- Yasuko S, Michael F, Stephen C, Hideo Y. Plant phenolic antioxidant and prooxidant activities: phenolics -induced oxidative damage mediated by metals in plants. Toxicology. 2002 ; 177 : 67-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-483X(02)00196-8
- Rice-Evans CA, Miller NJ, Paganga G. Structure antioxidant activity relationship of flavonoids and phrnolic acids. Free Radical Biol Med. 1996 ; 20 : 933-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/0891-5849(95)02227-9
- Rein D, Paglieroni TG, Wun T, Pearson DA, Schmitz HH, Gosselin R, Keen CL. Cocoa inhibits platelet activation and function. Am J Clin. Nutr. 2000 ; 72 : 30-5. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/72.1.30
- Stoker KG, Cooke DT, Hill DJ. An improved method for the large scale processing of woad (Isatis tinctoria) for possible commercial production of woad indigo. J Agric Eng Res. 1998 ; 71 : 315-20. https://doi.org/10.1006/jaer.1998.0329
- Hwang CR, Tak HM, Kang MJ, Suh HJ, Kwon OO, Shin JH. Antioxidant and Antiobesity Activity of Natural Color Resources. J Life Sci. 2014 ; 24(6) : 633-41. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2014.24.6.633
- Son JH, Choung MG, Choi, HJ, Jang UB, Son GM, Byun MW, Choi C. Physiological Effect of Korean Black Soybean Pigment. Kor J Food Sci Tech. 2001 ; 33(6) : 764-8.
- Park SJ, Lee JR, Jo MI, Park SM. Effects of Isatidis Radix and it's Active Component, Tryptanthrin on the Production of Inflammatory Mediators in Lipopolysaccharide-activated Raw264.7 Cells. J Kor Ori Med Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dermatol. 2011 ; 24(1) : 64-77.
- Bondet V, Brand Williams W, Berset C. Kinetics and mechanisms of antioxidant activity using the DPPH free radical method. Lebensm. Wiss. U-Technol. 1997 ; 30 : 609-15. https://doi.org/10.1006/fstl.1997.0240
- AOAC. Official Methods of Analysis. 14th ed. Washington DC : Association of Official Analytical Chemists. 1995 : 8-35.
- Van den Berg R, Haenen GR, Van den Berg H. Bast A. Applicability of an improved Trolox equivalent antioxidant capacity (TEAC) assay for evaluation of antioxidant capacity measurements of mixtures. Food Chem. 1999 ; 66 : 511-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(99)00089-8
- Hus B, Coupar IM, Ng K. Antioxidant activity of hot water extract from the fruit of the Doum palm. Hyphaene thebaica. Food Chem. 2006 ; 98 : 317-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.05.077
- Oyaizu M. Studies on products of browning reaction: antioxidative activities of products of browning reaction prepared from glucosamine. Jpn J Nutr. 1986 ; 44 : 307-15. https://doi.org/10.5264/eiyogakuzashi.44.307
- Jagot SK, Dani HM. A new colorimetric technique for the estimation of vitamin C using Folin phenol reagent. Analytical Biochem. 1982 ; 127 : 178-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(82)90162-2
- Jung Y, Surh Y. Oxidative DNA damage and cytotoxicity unduced by copper-stimulated redox cycling of salsolinol. a neurotoxic tetrahydroisoquinoline alkalooid. Free Radic Biol Med. 2001 ; 30 : 1407-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(01)00548-2
- Mitscher LA, Park YH, Clark D, Beal JL. Antimicrobial agents from higher plants, antimicrobial isoflavonoids and related substances from Glycyrrhiza glabra L. var. typica. J Nat Prod. 1980 ; 43 : 259-327. https://doi.org/10.1021/np50008a004
- Jeong SJ, Lee JH, Song NH, Seong SN, Lee SE, Baeg NI. Natural products, organic chemistry: Screening for antioxidant activity of plant medicinal extracts. J Kor Soc App Biol Chem. 2004 ; 27 : 135-40.
- Kim SS, Kim JE, Hyun CG, Lee NH. Neolitsea aciculata essential oil inhibits drug-resistant skin pathogen growth and Propionibacterium acnes-induced inflammatory effects of human monocyte leukemia. Natural Product Communications. 2011 ; 6 : 1193-8.
- Arora A, Nair G, Strasburg GM. Structure activity relationships for antioxidant activities of a series of plavonoids in a liposomal system. Free Radic Biol Med. 1998 ; 24 : 1355-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(97)00458-9
- Que F, Mao L, Pan X. Antioxidant activities of five Chinese rice wines and the involvement of phenolic compounds. Food Res Int. 2006 ; 39(5) : 581-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2005.12.001
- Sakanaka S, Tachibana Y, Okada Y. Preparation and antioxidant properties of extracts of Japanese persimmon leaf tea (kakinoha-cha). Food Chem. 2005 ; 89 : 569-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2004.03.013
- Stohs SJ, Bagchi D. Oxidative mechanism in the toxicity of metal ions. Free Radic Biol Med. 1995 ; 18 : 321-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/0891-5849(94)00159-H
- Rice-evans CA, Miller N, Paganga G. Antioxidant properties of phenolic compounds. Trends Plant Sci. 1997 ; 2(4) : 152-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1360-1385(97)01018-2
- Ferreres F, Gomes P, Valentano R, Goncalves R, Pio EA, Chagas RM, Andrade PB. Improved loquat cultivars: variation of phenolics and antioxidantive potential. Food Chem. 2009 ; 114 : 1109-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.10.065
- Huang MT, Ho ST, Lee CY. Phenolic compounds in food and their effects on health(II). Antioxidants and cancer prevention. American Chemical Society. Washington DC : USA. 1992 : 54-71.
- Hetog MGL, Hollman PCH, Van de Putte B. Content of potentially anticarcinogenic flavonoids of tea infusions, wines and fruit juice. J Agr Food Chem. 1993 ; 41: 1242-6. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00032a015
- Tsao R. Chemistry and biochemistry of dietary polyphenols. Nutrients. 2010 ; 2(12) : 1231-46. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu2121231
- Heim KE, Tagliaferro AR, Bobilya DJ. Flavonoid antioxidants: Chemistry, metabolism, and structureactivity relationships. J Nutr Biochem. 2002 ; 13 : 572-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0955-2863(02)00208-5
- Williams R, Spencer J, Rice-Evans C. Flavonoids: antioxidants or signalling molecules. Free Rad Biol Med. 2004 ; 36(7) : 838-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2004.01.001
- Sohn HY, Ryu HY, Jang YJ, Jang HS, Park YM, Kim SY. Evaluation of antimicrobial, antithrombin, and antioxidant activity of aerial part of Saxifraga stolonifera. Kor J Microbiol Biotechnol. 2008 ; 36 : 195-200.
- Lee ES, Ju HK, Moon TC, Lee EK, Jahng YD, Lee SH, Son JK, Baek SH, Chang HW. Inhibition of Nitric oxide and tumor necrosis factor-α(TNF-α) production by propenone compound through blockade of nuclear factor (NF)-κB activation in cultured murine macrophages. Biol Pharm Bull. 2004 ; 27(5) : 617-20. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.27.617
- Mori M. Regulation of nitric oxide synthesis and apoptosis by arginase and arginine recycling. J Nutr. 2007 ; 137 : 1616-20. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/137.6.1616S
- Weisz A, Cicatiello L, Esumi H. Regulation of the mouse inducible-type nitric oxide synthase gene promoter by interferon-gamma, bacterial lipopolysaccharide and NG-monomethyl-L-arginine. Biochem J. 1996 ; 316 : 209-15. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj3160209