- Volume 25 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of the Probody Massage on the Physical Characteristics, Gross Motor Function and ROM in Youth with Cerebral Palsy : Case study
프로바디마사지가 뇌병변 장애우의 신체적 특성과 대동작 기능 및 관절 가동범위에 미치는 영향 : 사례연구
Kim, Eui-Suk;Yang, Jeong-Ok;Lee, Joong-Sook
- Received : 2015.12.02
- Accepted : 2015.12.16
- Published : 2015.12.31
Objective : The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of the Probody Massage Program on the physical characteristics, gross motor function and ROM (Range Of Motion) of children with cerebral palsy. Method : The subjects of this study were two children who have been diagnosed with first grade cerebral palsy that utilized T development support center located in B Metropolitan city for 8 weeks, twice a week, to carry out the Probody Massage Program for 30 minutes. Physiological reactions (height, weight, BMI, blood pressure (an index of inflammation), pulse rate) and large operating functions (sitting, crawling and the joints' range of motion as an angle of the shoulders' upper limb articulation) were measured pretest, after 4 weeks, and after 8 weeks. Results : The Probody Massage Program showed positive changes in physical characteristics (blood pressure, sitting, and crawling), gross motor function (upper limb shoulder movement), joint range of motion, height, body weight, metabolic activation and blood circulation of children with cerebral palsy. Conclusion : We believe making a practical impact on the growth and development, functional recovery of daily life, and improvement of quality of life of children with cerebral palsy by utilizing Probody Massage Program improves blood pressure (an index of inflammation), pulse, sitting, crawling, and the joints' range of motion as an angle of the shoulder joints' upper limb movement of children with cerebral palsy.
Probody Massage Program;Cerebral Palsy;ROM;Gross Motor Function;Index of Inflammation;Pulse Rate;Physical Characteristics
- Kim, D. M. (2009). A longitudinal comparative study of BMI and physical fitness on the general children and the children with cerebral palsy. Journal of Rehabilitation Research, 13(1), 23-40.
- Kim, E. S. (2013). Effects of The Upright Body Type Exercise Program on Scoliosis, Muscle Function and VAS in Female Middle School Students. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Silla University.
- Juehring, D. D., & Barber, M. R. (2011). A case study utilizing vojta/dynamic neuromuscular stabilization therapy to control symptoms of a chronic migraine sufferer. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapy. 15(4), 538-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbmt.2011.01.019
- Kim, D. J. (2006). Effects of Bobath Treatment for Trunk Aligment on the Balance and Gait in Adult Hemiplegic Patients. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Dankook University.
- Kim, E. S. (2014). Effects of The Probody Massage on the Physiological Variables, Gross Motor Function and ROM in Youth with Cerebral Palsy, Case Study. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Graduate School of Silla University.
- Kim, E. S., Yang, J. O., & Lee, J. S. (2013). Utilization of sport biomechanics for the correct posture exercise program (Centering in Female Middle School Students). Korean Journal of Sport Biomechanics, 23(3), 1-9. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2013.23.1.001
- Kim, J. H. (2007). The Effect of Aquatic Rehabilitation Exercise on Children with Cerebral Palsy Patients in terms of Body Composition, Physical Fitness and Breathing Capacity. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Kyonggi University.
- Kim, J. Y. (2009). Analysis on The Satisfaction of The Middle School Students about Physical Education Classes. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Woosong University.
- Kim, K. H. (2007). Effect of feeding behavior on physique and body fat for students with cerebral palsy. Journal of Korean Physical Education Association for Girls and Women, 21(1), 45-55.
- Kim, S. J. (2005). Effects of Optimal Seated Positioning on the Upper Limb Function in 7 to 9 Years Old Children with Cerebral Palsy. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Dankook University.
- Lee, E. H., Nather, A., Goh, J., Teng, B., & Bose, K. (1985). Gait analysis in cerebral palsy. Annals of the Academy of Medicine Singapore, 14(1), 37-43.
- Lee, G. J. (1999). Effects of a Sensory Stimulation on Weight, Stress Hormone and Behavioral State in Premature Infants. Department of Physical Education, Graduate School, Kyungheei University.
- Lee, H D. (2009). Muscle movement mechanics for normal growth and development?, Sport Nest, http://www.sportnest.kr/188.
- Engel-Yeger, B., Jarus, T., Anaby, D., Law, M. (2009). Differences in patterns of participation between youths with cerebral palsy and typically developing peers. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 63(1), 94-104.
- Fauconnier, J., Dickinson, H., Beckung, E., Marcelli, M., McManus, V., Michelsen, S., Parkes, J., Parkinson, N., Thyen, U., Arnaud, C., & Colver, A. (2009). Participation in life situations of 8-12 year old children with cerebral palsy: Cross sectional European study. British Medical Journal, 338, 1458. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.b1458
- Field, T., Cullen, C., Diego, M., Hernandez-Rief, M., Sprinz, P., & Beebe, K. (2001). Leukemia immune changes following massage therapy. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies, 5(4), 271-274. https://doi.org/10.1054/jbmt.2001.0228
- Field, T., Hernandez-Rief, M., Diego, M., Schanberg, S., & Kuhn, C. (2005). Cortisol decreases and serotonin and dopamine increase following massage therapy, International Journal of neuroscience, 115(10), 1397-1413. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207450590956459
- Guay, J., Haig, M., Lortie, L., Guertin, M., & Poitras, B. (1994). Predicting bloodless in surgery for idiopathic scolisosis. Canadian Journal of Anaesthesia, 41(9), 775-781. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03011583
- Ham, J. E. (2005). A Study on the Effect of Sports Massage on Reflective Power and Basic Motor Control for the Cerebral Palsied Children's. Korea Sport Research, 16(6), 263-272.
- Hermandez-Rief, M., Field, T., Largie, S., Diego, M., Manigat, N., Seoanes, M., & Bornstein, J. (2005). Cerebral palsy symptoms in children decreased following massage therapy. Early Child Development and Care, 175(5), 445-456. https://doi.org/10.1080/0300443042000230546
- Hermandez-Rief, M., Ironson, G., Field, T., Hurley, J., Katz, G., Diego, M., Weiss, S., Fletcher, M. A., Schanberg, S., Kuhn, C., & Burman, I. (2004). Breast cancer patients have improved immune and neuroendocrine functions following massage therapy. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 57(1), 45-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3999(03)00500-2
- Hong, Y. J., & Lee, K. O. (1997). A study on the walking pattern of cerebral palsy patients. Korean Journal of Physical Education, 36(1), 1413-26.
- Hwang, O. N. (1995). A Study on the Development of an Efficacy Expectation Promoting Program and it's Effect for Patients with Cervical Spinal Cord Injuries. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Yonsei University.
- Hutton, J. L., & Pharoah, P. O. (2002). Effects of cognitive, motor, and sensory disabilities on survival in cerebral palsy, Archives of disease in Childhood, 86(2), 84-89. https://doi.org/10.1136/adc.86.2.84
- Bae, D. S. (2008). Sports Massage's Influence on Ache of DOMS and Blood. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Hansin University.
- Barlow, J., Cpsychol, Powell, L., & Cheshire, A. (2007). The training and support programme(involving basic massage) for parents of children with cerebral palsy: an implementation study. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies, 11(1), 44-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbmt.2006.03.002
- Cho, S. J. (2006). The Effects of the Appropriateness of the Postural Control Exercise Program on Trunk Muscle Control Ability and Gross Motor Function Movement for the Children with Cerebral Palsy. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Dankook University.
- Damiano, D. L., & Abel, M. F. (1996). Relation of gait analysis to gross motor function in cerebral palsy. Developmental Medicine & Child Neuroogy, 38(5), 389-396.
- Diener, H. C., Dichgans, J., Bacher, M., & Gompf, B. (1984). Quantification of postural sway in normals and patients with cerebellar diseases. Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, 57(2), 134-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-4694(84)90172-X
- Lim, H. W. (2013). The effect of vojta therapy on gross motor function measure and selective voluntary motor control in children with spastic diplegia. Journal of the Korean Society of Physical Medicine, 7(2), 213-221.
- McKearnan, K. A., Kieckhefer, G. M., Engel, J. M., Jensen, M. P., & Labyak, S. (2004). Pain in children with cerebral palsy: a review. Journal of Neuroscience Nursing, 36(5), 252-259. https://doi.org/10.1097/01376517-200410000-00004
- Ministry of Health & Welfare (2009). Disability rating criteria. Ministry of Health & Welfare Notices, 227.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare (2013). 2013 Disabled Statistics.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare (2010). Disability Rating Criteria. Bureau of Policy for Persons with Disabilities.
- Murphy, N., & Such-Neibar, T. (2003). Cerebral palsy diagnosis and management : the state of the art. Current Problems in Pediatrics and Adolescent Health Care, 33(5), 146-169. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1538-5442(03)00002-6
- Nelson, K. B. (2003). Can we prevent cerebral palsy? The New England Journal of Medicine, 349(18), 1765-1769. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsb035364
- Oh, H. J. (2014). Effects of The Upright Body Type Exercise Program on Body-Esteem, Fear of Negative Evaluation and Self-Esteem in Female Middle School Students. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Silla University.
- Oh, J. S. (2007). Study on The Satisfaction with The Facial Outline Oodification Change Using The Manual Massage. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Dankook University.
- Papavasiliou, A. S. (2009). Management of motor problems in cerebral palsy: A critical update for the clinician. European Journal of Paediatric Neurology. 13(5), 387-396. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpn.2008.07.009
- Park, J. E. (1999). A Study on the Effects of Sports Massage to Waist Softness Muscular Strength and Muscular Endurance in High School Students. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Cheongju University.
- Potempa, K., Braum, L. T., Tincknell, T., & Poppvich, J. (1996). Benefits of aerobic exercise after stroke. Sports Medicine, 21(5), 337-346. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-199621050-00003
- Ra, K. Y. (2008). The Effects of Leg Massage on the Physiological, Immune Responses and ROM of Students with Severe Spastic Quadriplegic Cerebral Palsy. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Kyungnam University.
- Report World (2009). Current Status and Future of Korea sports massage, http://www.reportworld.co.kr/report/data/view.html?no=597541&agentid=naver.
- Rosenbaum, P., Paneth, N., & Leviton, A. (2007). A report: the definition and classification of cerebral palsy April 2006. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, 109, 8-14.
- Schanberg, S. (1995). The Genetic Basis for Touch Effects. Touch in early development, 67-79.
- Shevell, MI., Dagenais, L., & Hall, N. (2009). Comorbidities in cerebral palsy and their relationship to neurologic subtype and GMFCS level. The Official Journal of the American Academy of Neurology, 72(24), 2090-2096.
- Son, N. Y. (2014). Effects of the Upright Body Type Exercise Program on Postures and Foot Balance in Female High School Students. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Silla University.
- Son, N. Y., Lee, J. S., & Kim, J. H. (2014). Effects of the upright body type exercise program on postures and foot balance in female high school students. Korean Journal of Sport Biomechanics, 24(1), 75-83. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2014.24.1.075
- Song, B. H. (2003). The effect of an exercise using elastic thera-band strengthening trunk muscles on the static sitting posture for children with CP. Journal of Special Education, 10(1).
- Song, C. H., & Kim, H. J. (2010). The effect of vojta's reflex forward movement on the ontogenesis spontaneous pathologic locomotion, vital capacity, hand function, balance and gait in children with spastic serebral palsy. Journal of Special Education & Rehabilitation Science, 49(1), 89-111.
- Song, H. S. (2000). Effects of a Sensory Stimulation on Weight, Behavioral State, and Physiological Responses in Premature Infants. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Dankook University.
- Suh, Y. T., Han, H. C., Kim, H. M. (2009). The effects of the rehabilitation sports program on the body composition, GMFM and WeeFIM in the children with cerebral palsy. Korean Journal of Adapted Physical Activity, 17(2), 99-119. https://doi.org/10.17006/kjapa.2009.17.2.99
- WHO(World Health Organization) (2000). Obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic. Report of WHO Consultation.
- Woo, K. H., Yang, J. O., & Lee, J. S. (2014). Effects of the upright body type exercise program on autonomic nervous system, balance, and VAS in female middle school students. The Official Journal of the Korean Association of Certified Exercise Professionals, 16(2), 11-20.
- Woo, K. H. (2014). Effects of the Upright Body Type Exercise Program on Autonomic Nervous System, Balance, VAS in Female Middle School Students. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Silla University.