- Volume 15 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Emotional Intelligence as a Mediator of the Relationship between Transformational Leadership and Organizational Citizenship Behavior and Job Performance
변혁적 리더십과 조직시민행동 및 직무성과의 관계에서 감성지능의 매개효과
- Received : 2014.08.08
- Accepted : 2014.09.04
- Published : 2015.03.28
The purpose of this study was to research the relationships among transformational leadership, emotional intelligence, organizational citizenship behavior and job performance of employees in hotel corporations. Transformational leadership is associated with higher levels of organizational citizenship behavior and job performance by their employees. And emotional intelligence is an important antecedent of work related outcomes such as organizational citizenship behavior, intention to quit and job performance. To accomplish this study, it was determined that the analysis derived from a hypothesis and literature reviews and data collected from 201 employees in hotel corporations. The results of empirical analysis showed as follows. First, Transformational leadership has a significant influence on emotional intelligence, organizational citizenship behavior and job performance. Second, Emotional intelligence has a significant influence on organizational citizenship behavior Third, mediating effects of employee's emotional intelligence in the relationship between transformational leadership and organizational citizenship behavior was confirmed. Based on these findings, the implications and limitations of the study were presented including some directions for future studies.
Transformational Leadership;Emotional Intelligence;Organizational Citizenship Behavior;Job Performance
- Y. S. Wang and T. C. Huang, "The Relationship of Transformational Leadership with Group Cohesiveness and Emotional Intelligencer," Social Behavior and Personality, Vol.37, No.3, pp.379-392, 2009. https://doi.org/10.2224/sbp.2009.37.3.379
- K. B. Lowe, K. G. Kroek, and N. Sivasubramaniam, "Transformational Leadership: A Meta Analytic Review of the MLQ Literature," Leadership Quarterly, Vol.7, pp.385-425, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(96)90027-2
- P. M. Podsakoff, S. B. MacKenzie, R. H. Moorman, and R. Fetter, "Transformal Leader Behavior and Their Effects on Followers' Trust in Leader, Satisfaction, and Organizational Citizenship Behavior," Leadership Qualiterly, Vol.13, pp.107-142, 1990.
- 류동웅, 신진교, "변혁적 리더십이 직무만족과 직무성과에 비치는 영향 및 개인특성의 조절효과", 인적자원관리연구, 제20권, 제2호, pp.215-238, 2013.
- 권도희, 문병준, 조철호, "종업원의 감성지능에 따른 변혁적 리더십과 조직유효성의 관계연구:항공사 객실승무원을 중심으로", 한국항공경영학회 2013 춘계학술발표대회, pp.271-296, 2013.
- P. Salovey and D. Mayer, "Emotional Intelligence," Imagination, Cognition and Personality, Vol.9, No.3, pp.185-211, 1990. https://doi.org/10.2190/DUGG-P24E-52WK-6CDG
- P. Trivellas, V. Gerogiannis, and S. Svarna, "Exporing Workplace Implications of Emotional Intelligence in Hospital: Job Satisfaction and Turnover Intentions," Procepia-Social and Behavioral Science, Vol.73, pp.701-709, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.02.108
- T. Sy, S. Tram, and L. O'Hara, "Relation of Employee and Manager Emotional Intelligence to Job Satisfaction and Performance," Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol.68, pp.461-473, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2005.10.003
- P. Trivellas, V. Gerogiannis, and S. Svarna, "The Impact of Emotional Intelligence on Job Outcomes and Turnover Intention in Health Care," Advances on Information Processing and Management, Vol.1, pp.356-360, 2011.
- A. Carmeli, "The Relationship between Emotional Intelligence and Work Attitudes Behavior and Outcomes," Journal of Managerial Psychology, Vol.18, No.8, pp.788-813, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1108/02683940310511881
- J. M. Burns, Leadership, Haper and Row: New York, 1978.
- B. M.Bass, Leadership and Performance beyond Expectations, Free Press: New York, 1985.
- B. M. Bass, "From Transactional to Transformational Leadership: Learning to Share the Vision," Organizational Dynamics, Vol.18, pp.19-31, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/0090-2616(90)90061-S
- N. L. Mary, "Transformational Leadership in Human Service Organizations," Administration in Social Work, Vol.29, No.2, pp.105-118, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1300/J147v29n02_07
- P. M. Podsakoff, S. B. MacKenzie, R. H. Moorman, and R. Fetter, "Transformational Leader Behaviors and Their Effects on Followers' Trust in Leader, Satisfaction, and Organizational Citizenship Behavior," Leadership Behavior, Vol.1, pp.107-142, 1990.
- J. D. Mayer and P. Salovey, What is Emotional Intelligence? In P. Salovey & D. Sluyter(Eds.), Emotional Development and Emotional Intelligence: Implications for Educators, Basic Books: New York.
- M. Davies, L. Stankov, and R. D. Roberts, "Emotional Intelligence: In Search of an Elusive Construct," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.75, No.4, pp.989-1015, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1249
- C. C. Bienstock and C. W. DeMoranville, "Using Manager Reports of Employee Behavior to Investigate the Relationship Between Organizational Citizenship Behaviors and Customer's Perceptions of Service Quality," Services Marketing Quarterly, Vol.28, No.1, pp.103-118, 2006 https://doi.org/10.1300/J396v28n01_06
- D. W. Organ, Organizational Citizenship Behavior: The Good Soldier Syndrome, Lexington Books: MA, 1988.
- S. J. Lambert, "Added Benefits: The Link between Work-Life Benifits and Organizational Citizenship Behavior," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.43, No.5, pp.801-815, 2000. https://doi.org/10.2307/1556411
- B. Schneider, S. S. White, and M. C. Paul, "Linking Service Climate and Customer Perceptions of Service Quality: Test of a Causal Model," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.83, pp.150-163, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.83.2.150
- Z. Shooshtarian, F. Ameli, and M. aminilari, "The Effect of Labor's Emotional Intelligence on Their Job Satisfaction, Job Performance and Commitment," Iralian Journal of Management Studies, Vol.6, No.1, pp.29-45, 2013.
- 김성영, 이미래, 이수범, "호텔 식음료 종사원의 조직 동일시가 조직시민행동 및 직무성과에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구", 관광연구저널, 제26권, 제5호, pp.215-238, 2013.
- B. M. Bass, "From Transactional to Transformational Leadership: Learning to Share the Vision," Organizational Dynamics, Vol.18, No.3, pp.19-31, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/0090-2616(90)90061-S
- S. C. Chang and M. S. Lee, "A Study on Relationship among Leadership, Organizational Culture, the Operation of Learning Organizational and Employee's Job Satisfaction," The Learning Organization, Vol.14, No.2, pp.155-185, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1108/09696470710727014
- T. S. Sy and L. A. O'Hara, "Relation of Employee and Manager to Job Satisfaction and Performance," Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol.68, No.3, pp.461-473, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2005.10.003
- K. S. Groves and C. M. Vance, "Examining Managerial Thinking Style, EQ and Organizational Commitment," Journal of Management Development, Vol.21, No.3, pp.344-366, 2007.
- C. S. Wong and K. S. Law, "The Effects of Leader and Follower Emotional Intelligence on Performance and Attitude: An Exploratory Study," The Leadership Quarterlyt, Vol.13, pp.243-274, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(02)00099-1
- M. Ozer, "A Moderated Mediation Model of the Relationship Between Organizational Citizenship Behavior and Job Performance," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.96, No.6, pp.1328-1336, 2007.
- C. F. Chiang and T. S. Hsieh, "The Impacts of Perceived Organizational Support and Psychological Empowerment on Job Performance: The Mediating Effects of Organizational Citizenship Behavior," International Journal of Hospitality Management, Vol.31, pp.180-190, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2011.04.011
- B. M. Bass and B. J. Avolio, The Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire-5X, Binghamton: NY, 1995.
- D. W. Organ, P. M. Podsakoff, and S. B. MacKenzie, Organizational Citizenship Behavior: Its Nature Antecedents, and Consequence, Sage: CA, 2006.
- P. M. Podsakoff, M. Ahearne, and S. B. MacKenzie, "Organizational Citizenship Behavior and The Quantity and Quality of Work Group Performance," Journal of Applied Psychplogy, Vol.83, pp.262-270, 1997.
- D. P. MacKinnon, C. M. Lockwood, J. M. Hoffman, S. G. West, and V. Sheets, "A Comparison of Methods to Test Mediation and Other Intervening Variable Effects," Psychological Methods, Vol.7, pp.83-104, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1037/1082-989X.7.1.83
- 정현우, 김창호, "종업원의 감성지능이 혁신행동에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구: 변혁적 리더십과 거리적 리더십의 조절효과", 인사관리연구, 제30권, 제4호, pp.29-61, 2006.
- R. Abraham, "Emotional intelligence in organizational : A conceptualizations," Genetic, Social and General Psychology, Vol.125, pp.209-224, 1999.
- 고호석, 이준엽, "호텔종사원의 리더십 유형이 조직몰입, 조직시민행동에 미치는 영향", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제9권, 제9호, pp.346-358, 2009.