- Volume 18 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Single-dose Intramuscular Injection Toxicology of Danggui Pharmacopuncture (DGP) in Sprague-Dawley Rats
- Sun, SeungHo (Department of Internal Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Sangji University) ;
- Jeong, JongJin (Department of Internal Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Sangji University) ;
- Park, Sunju (Department of Preventive Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Daejeon University) ;
- Lee, KwangHo (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Sangji University) ;
- Yu, JunSang (Department of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Sangji University) ;
- Seo, Hyung-Sik (Department of Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology, and Dermatology, Korean Medicine Hospital, Pusan National University) ;
- Kwon, KiRok (Research Center of the Korean Pharmacopuncture Institute)
- Received : 2014.11.17
- Accepted : 2014.12.15
- Published : 2015.03.30
Objectives: The purpose of the study is to assess both the approximate lethal dose and the single dose intramuscular injection toxicity of Danggui (Angelica gigantis radix) pharmacopuncture (DGP) in Sprague-Dawley (SD) rats. Methods: The experiments were conducted at the good laboratory practice (GLP) laboratory, Biotoxtech Co., which is a laboratory approved by the ministry of food and drug safety (MFDS). The study was performed according to the GLP regulation and the toxicity test guidelines of the MFDS (2009) after approval of the institutional animal care and use committee of Biotoxtech. Single doses of DGP were injected intramuscularly into the rats in three test groups of 6 week old SD rats (5 male and 5 female rats per groups) in the amounts of 0.1, 0.5, and 1.0 mL/animal for groups 2, 3, and 4, respectively, and normal saline solution in the amount of 1.0 mL/animal was injected intramuscularly into the rats (5 male and 5 female rats) in the control group. Observations of the general symptoms and weight measurements were performed during the 14 day observation period after the injection. Hematologic and serum biochemical examination, necropsy, and a local tolerance test at the injection site were done after the observation period. Results: No death was observed in three test groups (0.1, 0.5 and 1.0 mL/animal group). In addition, the injection of DGP had no effect on general symptoms, weights, hematologic and serum biochemical examination, and necropsy. The results from the local tolerance tests at injection site showed no treatment related effects in the SD rats. Conclusion: The results of single dose intramuscular injection of DGP suggest that the approximate lethal dose is above 1.0 mL/animal for both male and female SD rats and that intramuscular injection of DGP may be safe.
acupuncture;Angelica gigas nakai;Angelica gigantis radix;herbal medicine;pharmacopuncture;single-dose toxicity test
- Korean Pharmacopuncture Insitute. [Pharmacopuncturology: principles and clinical application]. Seoul: Elsevier Korea LLC; 2012. Chapter 1, Definition and history. p. 3-4. Korean.
- Park YC, Lee JS, Kim MH, Kim DY, Lee SD. [Pharmacological action and toxicity of Angelica sinensis]. Korean J Orient Med Prescr. 2011;19(2):93-108. Korean. http://ksci.gplusit.co.kr/ksci13/mng/mng_0410.jsp?ref_seq=DHOCBS_2015_v18n1_56_003&art_seq=DHOCBS_2015_v18n1_56&vn=%EC%A0%9C18%EA%B6%8C1%ED%98%B8&artpage=56-62
- Han JH, Kim KY. [Korean traditional pharmacology]. Seoul: Euiseongdang publishing INC; 2004. Chapter 20, Defiency-tonifying medicinal. p. 479-83. Korean.
- Kim YK, Cho KH, Shon YH, Choi HK, Kim SY, Lim JK, et al. [Chemopreventive potential of Angelicae gigantis radix aqua-acupuncturesolution]. Yakhak Hoeji. 2000;44(3):283-92. Korean.
- Park KH, Kang SK. [Studies on the analgesic effect of aqua-acupuncture with angelicae radix extract solution to mice]. KyungHee Univ Orient Med J. 1984;7:261-71. Korean.
- Ahn JC, Moon JY, Lim JK. [Antioxidant effect of AGR (Angelicae girantis radix) aqua-acupuncture solution in vitro]. The acupuncture. 1996;13(2):254-62. Korean.
- Hwang HS, Ahn BC, Park DS. [The effects of Angelicae gigantis radix aqua-acupuncture by density on immune response induced by radiation in mice]. The acupuncture. 1994;11(1):113-29. Korean.
- Lee SJ, Koh HK, Kim CH. [Effects of aqua-acupuncture with saiviae radix and angelicae radix extract solution on the acute anemia induced by loss of blood in rats]. KyungHee Univ Orient Med J. 1991;14:381-36. Korean.
- Park SH, Kang JH, Jung YS, Kim GW, Koo BS. [The effect of an essential oil fragrance from radix Angelica sinesis on differentiation and proliferation of neural stem cells of rat]. J of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2009;20(4):63-77 Korean.
- Song BK, Jeon YC, Kim SA, Shim AN, Seong KM, Lee EJ. [The effect of intravenous injection of the water extract of Angelica gigas nakai on gliosis in the middle cerebral artery occlusion rats]. J Pharmacopuncture. 2011;14(3):5-17. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2011.14.3.005
- Han SG, Lee BR. [Effects of Angelica gigas nakai herbal acupuncture into hyolhae (SP10) of brain ischemic injury induced by intraluminal filament insertion in the rats]. The acupuncture. 2004;21(2):1-20. Korean.
- Sun Y, Tang J, Gu X, Li D. Water-soluble polysaccharides from Angelica sinensis (oliv.) diels: preparation, characterization and bioactivity. Int J Biol Macromol. 2005;36(5):283-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2005.07.005
- Kim SJ, Song BK, Lee EJ, Kim HK, Kim JK. [Effects of radix Angelicae gigantis and resina ferulae on the relaxation of smooth muscle and expression of iNOS]. J Korean Oriental Med. 2000;20(2):60-7. Korean.
- Kim YJ, Hwang CW. [An experimental study on brain damage and cardiovascular system effect of Angelicae gigantis radix extract]. J Korean Oriental Med. 2000;21(4):37-47. Korean.
- Kim KS, Song YJ. [Effects of aqua-acupuncture with radix Angelicae gigantis and radix astragali on the blood in the liver damage rats with CCL4]. The acupuncture. 1996;13(1):1-10. Korean.
- Yan R, Ko NL, Li S, Tam YK, Lin G. Pharmacokinetics and metabolism of ligustilide, a major bioactive component in rhizoma chuanxiong, in the rat. Drug Metab Dispos. 2008;36(2):400-8 https://doi.org/10.1124/dmd.107.017707
- Barlow S, Schlatter J. Risk assessment of carcinogens in food. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2010;243(2):180-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.taap.2009.11.004