- Volume 50 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of MWCNT Nucleating Agent on the Formation Reaction of Rigid Polyurethane Foams
- Ahn, WonSool (Department of Chemical Engineering, Keimyung University) ;
- Lee, Joon-Man (School of Cosmetics Chemistry, Yeungnam Univeresity College)
- Received : 2014.12.08
- Accepted : 2015.01.06
- Published : 2015.03.31
A study of the effects of MWCNT as a nucleating agent on the formation reactions of the rigid polyurethane foams (RPUFs) was carried out. Sample PUFs, formulated with grease-type master batch of MWCNT/surfactant, were fabricated by free-rising method. Temperature changes with time during foaming process were measured using a digital thermometer. RPUF foaming process was observed to undergo 2-step processes with temperature inflection around 60 sec after the start of reaction, and then reached slowly the max. temperature. While the max. temperature of neat PUF was measured as ca.
- M. Szycher, in Szycher's Handbook of Polyurethanes, CRC Press, N. Y., 1 (1999).
- K. Yoshida, in Polyurethane and Related Foams, CRC Press, FL, 65 (2007).
- K. Dedecker, in The Polyurethanes Book, edited D. Randall and S. Lee, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., N. Y., 229 (2002).
- R. Bock, M. Kapps, D. Krettek, H. Thomas, R. Walter, R. Wiedermann, and R. Zoellner, in Polyurethane Handbook, edited G. Oertel, Hanser Publishers, N. Y., 247 (1993).
- R. E. Skochdopole, "The thermal conductivity of foam plastics", Chem. Eng. Prog., 57(10), 55 (1961).
- A. Biedermann, C. Kudoke, A. Merten, E. Minogue, U. Rotermund, H.-P. Ebert, U. Heinemann, J. Fricke, and H. Seifert, "Analysis of Heat Transfer Mechanisms in Polyurethane Rigid Foam", J. Cell. Plast., 37, 467 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1106/KEMU-LH63-V9H2-KFA3
- T. Widya and C. W. Macosko, "Nanoclay-Modified Rigid Polyurethane Foam", J. Macrom. Sci., Part B: Phys., 44, 897 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1080/00222340500364809
- K. M. You, S. S. Park, C. S. Lee, J. M. Kim, G. Park, and W. N. Kim, "Preparation and characterization of conductive carbon nanotube-polyurethane foam composite", J. Mater. Sci., 46, 6850 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10853-011-5645-y
- R. B. McClurg, "Design criteria for ideal foam nucleating agents", Chem. Eng. Sci., 59, 5779 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2004.06.025
- M. C. Saha, Md.E. Kabir, and S. Jeelani, "Enhancement in thermal and mechanical properties of polyurethane foam infused with nanoparticles", Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 479, 213 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2007.06.060