- Volume 50 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Preparation and Characterizations of Polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA)/Acrylate Rubber (ACM) Blend for Light Diffuser Applications
- Lee, Byung Hwan (Department of Chemical Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Chang, Young-Wook (Department of Chemical Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Lim, Hyung Mi (Eco Composite Materials Team, Korea Institute of Ceramic Engineering and Technology)
- Received : 2015.02.11
- Accepted : 2015.02.27
- Published : 2015.03.31
Dynamically vulcanized PMMA/ACM (80 wt%/20 wt%) blend using DCP as a curing agent was prepared using internal mixer. The morphology, mechanical properties, optical properties, melt viscosity and die swell were characterized by using FE-SEM, tensile test, Izod impact test, dynamic mechanical analysis, ARES and capillary rheometer, respectively. The blends show a phase-separated morphology in which ACM are dispersed in PMMA matrix. Dynamically vulcanized blend exhibits higher mechanical properties, higher melt viscosity, and die swell as compared to simple blend. And, the dynamically vulcanized blend showed total transmittance of more than 75% and haze of higher than 90%, which enable it to find potential applications to fabricate an optical diffuser by extrusion process.
- K. J. Sounders, Organic Polymer Chemistry; Champion & Hall: New York, 1988; p 62.
- H. F. Mark, Encyclopedia of Polymer Science and Engineering; Wiley-Interscience: New York, 1985; p 1.
- C. B. Bucknall, Toughened Plastics, Material Science Series, Applied Science Publishers Ltd. London, 1977.
- J. A. Johnson and D. W. Jones, "The mechanical properties of PMMA and its copolymers with ethyl methacrylate and butyl methacrylate", J. Mater. Sci., 29, 870 (1994). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00351404
- J. P. Kennedy, M. J. Askew, and G. C. Richard, "Polyisobutylene-toughened poly(methyl methacrylate)", J. Biomater. Sci. Polym. Ed., 4, 445 (1993). https://doi.org/10.1163/156856293X00113
- D. K. Kim, J.-Y. Kim, and K. D. Suh, "Synthesis and property of modified PMMA resin using polyurethane and polyurethane dimethacrylate", J. Kor. Ind. Eng. Chem., 4, 616 (1993).
- J. Y. Song, J. Kim, and K. D. Suh, "Poly(methyl methacrylate) toughening with refractive index-controlled core-shell composite particles", J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 71, 1607 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4628(19990307)71:10<1607::AID-APP8>3.0.CO;2-U
- S. Takahashi, H. Okada, S. Nobukawa, and M. Yamaguchi, "Optical properties of polymer blends composed of poly(methyl methacrylate) and ethylene-vinyl acetate copolymer", Eur. Polym. J., 48, 974 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eurpolymj.2012.02.009
- US Patent 5352747A "Light-diffusing polycarbonate resin compositions containing polymethyl silsesquioxane", 1994.
- WO 2004058889 "Light diffusion resin composition", 2012.
- US7474464 B2 "Diffuser plate with higher light diffusion efficiency and brightness", 2009.
- M. Marek and J. Steidl, "Light diffusing polycarbonate-polycycloolefin blends", J. Mater. Sci., 41, 3117 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10853-006-5230-y
- Y. Chen, D. Yuan, and C. Xu, "Dynamically vulcanized biobased polylactide/natural rubber blend material with continuous cross-linked rubber phase", ACS Appl. Mater. Interf., 6, 3811 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1021/am5004766
- Z. Wang, X. Zhang, and Y. Zhang, "Impact properties of dynamically vulcanized nylon/styrene-acrylonitrile copolymer/nitrile rubber blends", Polym. Test., 21, 577 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-9418(01)00127-1
- M. Hernandez, J. Gonzalez, C. Albano, M. Ichazo, and D. Lovera, "Effects of composition and dynamic vulcanization on the rheological properties of PP/NBR blends", Polym. Bull., 50, 205 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00289-003-0158-8
- R. Nalini Uthaman, A. Pandurangan, and S. S. M. Abdul Majeed, "Mechanical, thermal, and morphological characteristics of compatibilized and dynamically vulcanized polyoxymethylene/ethylene propylene diene terpolymer blends", Polym. Eng. Sci., 47, 934 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1002/pen.20777
- J. Z. Lianga and J. N. Ness, "The melt die-swell behaviour during capillary extrusion of LDPE/PP blends", Polym. Test., 17, 179 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-9418(97)00034-2
- R. N. Jana and G. B. Nando, "Rheological behavior of lowdensity polyethylene (LDPE)-polydimethylsiloxane rubber (PDMS) blends", J. Elast. Plast., 37, 149 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1177/0095244305048267