- Volume 43 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of Span-to-depth Ratio and Poisson's Ratio on Elastic Constants from Bending and Plate Tests
- Jeong, Gi Young (Department of Wood Science and Engineering, Research Institute for Agriculture & Life Science, Chonnam National University) ;
- Kong, Jin Hyuk (Department of Wood Science and Engineering, Research Institute for Agriculture & Life Science, Chonnam National University)
- Received : 2014.12.18
- Accepted : 2015.02.09
- Published : 2015.03.25
The goal of this study is to evaluate the limitation of ASTM D 198 bending and ASTM D 3044 in determination of elastic modulus and shear modulus. Different material properties and span to depth ratios were used to analyze the effects of material property and testing conditions. The ratio of true elastic modulus to apparent elastic modulus evaluated from ASTM D 198 bending sharply decreased with increment of span to depth ratio. Shear modulus evaluated from ASTM D 198 bending decreased with increment of depth, whereas shear modulus evaluated from ASTM D 3044 was hardly influenced by increment of depth. Poisson's ratio influenced shear modulus from ASTM D 198 bending but did not influence shear modulus from ASTM D 3044. Different shearing factor was obtained for different depths of beams to correct shear modulus obtained from ASTM D 198 bending equivalent to shear modulus from theory of elasticity. Equivalent shear modulus of materials could be obtained by applying different shearing factors associated with beam depth for ASTM D 198 bending and correction factor for ASTM D 3044.
Supported by : Korea Forest Service
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) 2005a, ASTM D 198. In: Annual Book of Standards, Vol. 04.10, Wood. ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA.
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) 2005b, ASTM D 3044. In: Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Vol. 04.10, Wood. ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA.
- Biblis, E.J. 2001. Edgewise flexural properties and modulus of rigidity of different sizes of southern pine LVL and plywood. Forest Products Journal 51: 81-84.
- Gromala, D.S. 1985. Determination of Modulus of Rigidity by ASTM D 198 Flexural Methods. Journal of Testing and Evaluation 13: 352-355. https://doi.org/10.1520/JTE10961J
- Hindman, D.P., Janowiak, J.J., Manbeck, H.B. 2006. Comparison of ASTM D 198 and five-point bending for elastic constant ratio determination. Forest Products Journal 56: 5-90.
- Harrison, S.K., Hindman, D.P. 2007. Test method comparison of shear modulus evaluation of MSR and SCL products. Forest Products Journal 57: 32-38
- Jeong, G.Y., Hindman, D.P. 2008. Elastic constants evaluated from plate tests compared to previous bending tests. Forest Products Journal 58: 53-58
- Yoshihara, H. 2009. Edge wise shear modulus of plywood measured by square-plate twist and beam flexure methods. Construction and Building Materials 23: 3537-3545. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2009.06.041
- Yoshihara, H., Kubojima, Y. 2002. Measurement of the shear modulus of wood by asymmetric four-point bending tests. Journal of Wood Science 48: 14-19 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00766232
- Murata, K., Kanazawa, T. 2007. Determination of Young's modulus and shear modulus by means of deflection curves for wood beams obtained in static bending tests. Holzforschung 61: 589-594.