- Volume 18 Issue 1
Pancoast syndrome (PS) is characterized by a malignant neoplasm of the superior sulcus of the lung with destructive lesions of the thoracic inlet and involvement of the brachial plexus and cervical sympathetic nerves. The most common initial symptom of PS is shoulder pain; however, cough, dyspnea, and hemoptysis, signs often associated with lung cancer, are not as common. Investigation of PS can be difficult even with plain radiographs of the chest because it is surrounded by osseous structures such as the ribs, vertebral bodies, and manubrium. Due to these characteristics, orthopedic surgeons tend to make a misdiagnosis resulting in delay of appropriate treatment. Here we report on a patient who was supposed to undergo rotator cuff repair for his shoulder pain and weakness, and was eventually diagnosed with PS.
Pancoast syndrome;Rotator cuff tear;Superior vena cava syndrome
- Kovach SG, Huslig EL. Shoulder pain and Pancoast tumor: a diagnostic dilemma. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1984;7(1):25-31.
- Yacoub M, Hupert C. Shoulder pain as an early symptom of pancoast tumor. J Med Soc N J. 1980;77(9):583-6.
- Villas C, Collia A, Aquerreta JD, et al. Cervicobrachialgia and pancoast tumor: value of standard anteroposterior cervical radiographs in early diagnosis. Orthopedics. 2004;27(10):1092-5.
- Ichinohe K, Takahashi M, Tooyama N. Delay by patients and doctors in treatment of Pancoast tumor. Wien Klin Wochenschr. 2006;118(13-14):405-10. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00508-006-0615-0
- Pancoast HK. Superior pulmonary sulcus tumortumor characterized by pain, horner's syndrome, destruction of bone and atrophy of hand muscles chairman's address. JAMA. 1932;99(17):1391-6. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1932.02740690001001
- Bisbinas I, Langkamer VG. Pitfalls and delay in the diagnosis of Pancoast tumour presenting in orthopaedic units. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 1999;81(5):291-5.
- Spengler DM, Kirsh MM, Kaufer H. Orthopaedic aspects and early diagnosis of superior sulcus tumor of lung (Pancoast). J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1973;55(8):1645-50. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-197355080-00008
- Paulson DL. Carcinomas in the superior pulmonary sulcus. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1975;70(6):1095-104.