- Volume 11 Issue 2
The major challenge of designing public halls or performing arts centers in Japan is meeting the expectations of the regional community; greater stakeholder involvement is required in order to solve this problem. The purpose of this paper is to examine whether stakeholders can become more involved in public hall design by using systems engineering (SE), which has never before been applied when designing public halls. As such, this study redesigned an actual public hall (Iwaki Alios) using an SE approach. The results revealed that applying SE was effective in the creation of a public hall concept.
Public Hall;Public Theater;Design Process;Concept Design;Social System
- Agency for Cultural Affairs, Gekijo, Ongakudotou no Kasseika ni Kansuru Horitsu (The Law for the Activation of Theaters, Music Halls, and the Like) [in Japanese], Agency for Cultural Affairs, Tokyo, 2012.
- Japan Foundation for Regional Art-Activities, Kokyo Hall, Koritsu Gekijo no Hyoka Shishin (Evaluation Guidelines for Public Halls and Public Theaters) [in Japanese], Japan Foundation for Regional Art-Activities, Tokyo, 2007.
- Japan Foundation for Regional Art-Activities, Heisei 26nen-do Chiki no Kouritsu Bunkashisetsu Jittai Chosa Hokokusho (Survey Report of Regional Public Cultural Facilities, 2014) [in Japanese], Japan Foundation for Regional Art-Activities, Tokyo, 2015.
- Takashima Yumiko, Kokyo Bunka Shisetsu ni okeru New Public Governance Model no Kensho (Verification of the New Public Governance Model in Public Cultural Facilities) [in Japanese], Keio University Shonan Fujisawa conference, Kanagawa, 2003.
- Shirasaka, S. A Standard Approach To Find Out Multiple View Points To Describe An Architecture Of Social Systems- Designing Better Payment Architecture To Solve Claim-Payment Failures Of Japan's Insurance Companies, INCOSE Symposium, 19(1), Wiley, pp. 490-500, 2011.
- Rikkyo University Social Design Laboratory, Kokyohall no Tsukurikata to Ugokashikata wo Manabu Toki Shuchu Workshop (Social Design Force Training Course for Public Theater Staff to Respond to the Demands of the Law of Theater) [in Japanese], [personal communication], 2015.
- ISO/IEC-15288, Systems and Software Engineering-System Life-Cycle Processes, International Organization for Standardization, Geneva, p. 14, Switzerland, 2015.