- Volume 6 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of Structural Behavior of Unplasticized Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC-U) Pipe Buried Underground
지중매설 경질폴리염화비닐관의 구조적 거동
- Received : 2015.10.07
- Accepted : 2015.10.30
- Published : 2015.12.31
The industrialization and urbanization forced to increase the density of pipelines such as water supply, sewers, and gas pipelines. The materials used for the existing pipe lines are mostly composed of concretes and steels, but it is true that the development for more durable and efficient materials has been continued performed to produce long lasting pipe lines. Recently, underground pipes serve in diverse applications such as sewer lines, drain lines, water mains, gas lines, telephone and electrical conduits, culverts, oil lines, etc. In this paper, we present the result of investigation pertaining to the structural behavior of unplasticized polyvinyl chloride (PVC-U) flexible pipes buried underground. In the investigation of structural behavior such as a ring deflection, pipe stiffness, 4-point bending test, experimental and analytical studies are conducted. In addition, pipe stiffness is determined by the parallel plate loading tests and the finite element analysis. The difference between test and analysis is about 8% although there are significant variations in the mechanical properties of the pipe material. In addition, it was found by the 4-point bending test there is no problem in the connection between the pipes by coupler.
unplasticized polyvinyl chloride (PVC-U);pipe stiffness;finite element analysis;4-point bending test
- ANSYS (2008), Release 11.0, Documentation for ANSYS, Pennsylvania.
- ASTM D 2412 (2011), Standard Test Method for Determination of External Loading Characteristics of Plastic Pipe by Parallel-Plate Loading, American Society for Testing and Materials.
- Chun et al., (2010), Geotechnical Engineering (Theory and Practice), Third edition, Construction Industry Research Institute, Gumibook.
- Hongik University Research Institute of Science and Technology (2014), A Study on Behavior Characteristics of Underground AB-System for the Earthquake-Resistance Enhanced and High-Impact Pipes Used in Water Supply or Sewer System, Research Report.
- Howard, Amster, (1977). Modulus of Soil Reaction Values for Buried Flexible Pipe, Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 103, No. GT1.
- Joonseok Park, Young-Geun Lee, Sunhee Kim, Jung-Hwan Park, Eung-Ho Kim (2012). Prediction of Short-Term Behavior of Buried Polyethylene Pipe, Journal of Korean Society of Water and Wastewater, Vol. 26, No. 6, pp. 905-912.
- Kim, S. H., Lee, Y. G., Joo, H. J., Jung, N. J., and Yoon, S. J. (2012). Predection of Ring Deflection GRP Pipe Buried Underground, Journal of Korean Society Advanced Composite Structures, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 38-44.
- KS M 3401 (2013). "Unplasticized Poly (vinyl chloride) (PVC-U) Pipes for Water Supply," Korean Agency for Technology and Standard (KS), Seoul, Korea.
- KS M ISO 178 (2012). "Plastics-Determination of Flexural Properties", Korean Agency for Technology and Standard (KS), Seoul, Korea.
- KS M ISO 6259-1 (2008). "Thermoplastics pipes-Determination of tensile properties-Part 1:General test method", Korean Agency for Technology and Standard (KS), Seoul, Korea.
- KS M ISO 9969 (2008). "Thermoplastics Pipes- Determination of Ring Stiffness", Korean Agency for Technology and Standard (KS), Seoul, Korea.
- Lee, Y. G., Kim, S. H., Park, J. S., and Yoon, S. J. (2011). Pipe Stiffness Prediction of GRP Flexible Pipe, Journal of Korean Society Advanced Composite Structures, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 18-24. https://doi.org/10.11004/kosacs.2011.2.3.018
- Ministry of Environment, Republic of Korea (2010), Standard for Water Supply System, written in Korean.
- Ministry of Environment, Republic of Korea (2011), Standard for Sewer System, written in Korean.
- Watkins, R. K. and Anderson, L. R. (2000), Structural Mechanics of Buried Pipes, CRC Press LLC., New York.
- Pipe Stiffness of Buried Glass Fiber Reinforced Polymer Plastic (GFRP) and Polymer Mortar Pipe with Symmetrical Cross-Section vol.730, pp.1662-9795, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.730.496
Supported by : 홍익대학교