- Volume 59 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Case Study on Using Uncritical Inference Test to Promote Malaysian College Students' Deeper Thinking in Organic Chemistry
- Kan, Su-Yin ;
- Cha, Jeongho ;
- Chia, Poh Wai
- Received : 2014.12.29
- Accepted : 2015.01.29
- Published : 2015.04.20
In Malaysia, the students' poor performance in mathematics and sciences needs immediate attention and remedies. In order to tackle this problem, an active learning environment that encourages students' question-asking capability must be molded. Transformation from traditional teacher-based approach to active-learning classroom is the key to develop question-asking capability. The classroom activity that the authors used in this study is based on the uncritical inference test to promote students' deeper thinking which encouraged students to verify facts that was previously learnt in classroom through group discussion activity. Three sets of uncritical inference test were developed and applied to Malaysian college course of basic organic chemistry. Students' answers to the impact of using uncritical inference test with a group discussion on learning and communication skills were positive.
Small group activity;Discussion;Organic chemistry;Classroom activity;Uncritical inference test
- Haney, W. V. Ph.D Thesis, Northwestern University, 1953.
- Rowe, M. B. New Directions for Community Colleges 1980, 1980, 27.
- Strother, D. B. Phi Delta Kappan 1989, 71, 324.
- Bevins, S. C.; Windale, M.; Tek, O. E.; Harrison, B. Journal of Science and Mathematics Education in Southeast Asia 2001, 24, 11.
- Mant, J.; Wilson, H.; Coates, D. International Journal of Science Education 2007, 29, 1707. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500690701537973
- Arthurs, A. D. G. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Kentucky, 1975.
- Taylor, S. S.; Rudolph, J. W.; Foldy, E. G.; Reason, P.; Bradbury, H. The Sage Handbook of Action Research. Participative Inquiry and Practice 2008, 2, 656.
- Antal, A. B.; Friedman, V. J. Journal of Management Education 2008, 32, 363. https://doi.org/10.1177/1052562907308794
- Tobacyk, J.; Milford, G. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 1983, 44, 1029. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1689
- Martin, D. S. Cognition, Education, and Deafness: Directions for Research and Instruction 1984, 176.
- Kiewra, K. A. Theory Into Practice 2002, 41, 71. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15430421tip4102_3
- Bligh, D. A. Jossey-Bass: San Francisco, 2000.
- Burrows, V.; McNeill, B.; Hubele, N.; Bellamy, L. Journal of Engineering Education 2001, 90, 661. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.2001.tb00657.x
- Cisero, C. A. College Teaching 2006, 54, 231. https://doi.org/10.3200/CTCH.54.2.231-236
- Martin, M. O.; Mullis, I. V. S.; Foy, P. TIMSS 2007 International Science Report: Findings from IEA’s Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study at The Fourth and Eight Grades, 2008.
- OECD Southeast Asian Economic Outlook 2013; OECD Publishing, 2013.
- Sidhu, G. K.; Fook, C. Y. Research Journal of International Studies 2010, 63.
- Saleh, S.; Aziz, A. International Proceedings of Economics Development & Research 2012, 47, 63.
- Cole, D. G.; Sugioka, H. L.; Yamagata-Lynch, L. C. Journal of Creative Behavior 1999, 33, 277. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2162-6057.1999.tb01407.x
- Grove, N. P.; Lowery Bretz, S. Chemistry Education Research and Practice 2012, 13, 201. https://doi.org/10.1039/C1RP90069B
- Pines, A. L.; West, L. H. T. Science Education 1986, 70, 583. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.3730700510
- Driver, R.; Bell, B. School Science Review 1986, 67, 443.
- Lynch, D.; Trujillo, H. International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education 2011, 9, 1351. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10763-010-9264-x
- Grove, N. P.; Cooper, M. M.; Cox, E. L. Journal of Chemical Education 2012, 89, 850. https://doi.org/10.1021/ed200394d
- Bligh, D. A. What’s the Use of Lectures; 1st Edition ed.; Jossey-Bass, San Francisco: 2000.
- Stuart, J.; Rutherford, R. J. D. The Lancet 1978, 312, 514. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(78)92233-X
- Foyle, H. C. Interactive Learning in the Higher Education Classroom: Cooperative, Collaborative, and Active Learning Strategies; National Education Association, 1995.
- Mazur, E. Peer Instruction: A User’s Manual; Prentice Hall, 1997.
- OECD PISA 2012 Results: What Students Know and Can Do: Student Performance in Mathematics, Reading and Science (Volume I, Revised edition, February 2014); PISA, OECD Publishing, 2014.
- Flipping organic chemistry course: Possibilities and challenges vol.36, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/36/1/012013
- College Students’ Reflection on the Uncritical Inference Test Activity in Organic Chemistry Course vol.60, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5012/jkcs.2016.60.2.137
- The Interactive Anonymous "Must-have" Quiz: A Simple Method to Enhance Students Concept Learning in Organic Chemistry Course vol.60, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5012/jkcs.2016.60.6.428
Supported by : Korean Chemical Society