- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Analyzing the Evolutionary Stability for Behavior Strategies in Reverse Supply Chain
- Tomita, Daijiro (Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka Prefecture University) ;
- Kusukawa, Etsuko (Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka Prefecture University)
- Received : 2015.01.03
- Accepted : 2015.03.13
- Published : 2015.03.30
In recent years, for the purpose of solving the problem regarding environment protection and resource saving, certain measures and policies have been promoted to establish a reverse supply chains (RSCs) with material flows from collection of used products to reuse the recycled parts in production of products. It is necessary to analyze behaviors of RSC members to determine the optimal operation. This paper discusses a RSC with a retailer and a manufacturer and verifies the behavior strategies of RSC members which may change over time in response to changes parameters related to the recycling promotion activity in RSC. A retailer takes two behaviors: cooperation/non-cooperation in recycling promotion activity. A manufacturer takes two behaviors: monitoring/non-monitoring of behaviors of the retailer. Evolutionary game theory combining the evolutionary theory of Darwin with game theory is adopted to clarify analytically evolutionary outcomes driven by a change in each behavior of RSC members over time. The evolutionary stable strategies (ESSs) for RSC members' behaviors are derived by using the replicator dynamics. The analysis numerically demonstrates how parameters of the recycling promotion activity: (i) sale promotion cost, (ii) monitoring cost, (iii) compensation and (iv) penalty cost affect the judgment of ESSs of behaviors of RSC members.
Green Supply Chain;Game Theory;Evolutionarily Stable Strategy;Replicator Dynamics
Supported by : Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
- Aras, N., Boyaci, T., and Verter, V. (2004), The effect of categorizing returned products in remanufacturing, IIE Transactions, 36(4), 319-331. https://doi.org/10.1080/07408170490279561
- Aust, G. and Buscher, U. (2012), Vertical cooperative advertising and pricing decisions in a manufacturer- retailer supply chain: a game-theoretic approach, European Journal of Operational Research, 223(2), 473-482. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2012.06.042
- Bakal, I. S. and Akcali, E. (2006), Effects of random yield in remanufacturing with price-sensitive supply and demand, Production and Operations Management, 15(3), 407-420.
- Barari, S., Agarwal, G., Zhang, W. J. (Chiris), Mahanty, B., and Tiwari, M. K. (2012), A Decision Framework for the Analysis of Green Supply Chain Contracts: An Evolutionary Game Approach, Expert Systems with Applications, 39(3), 2965-2976. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2011.08.158
- Behret, H. and Korugan, A. (2009), Performance analysis of a hybrid system under quality impact of returns, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 56(2), 507-520. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2007.11.001
- Berr, F. (2011), Stackelberg equilibria in managerial delegation games, European Journal of Operational Research, 212(2), 251-262. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2011.02.021
- Cachon, G. P. and Netessine, S. (2004), Game theory in supply chain analysis. In: Simchi-Levi, D., Wu, S. D., and Shen, Z. J. (eds.), Handbook of Quantitative Supply Chain Analysis: Modeling in the e-Business Era, Kluwer, Boston, MA, 13-65.
- Cai, G. G., Zhang, Z. G., and Zhang, M. (2009), Game theoretical perspectives on dual-channel supply chain competition with price discounts and pricing schemes, International Journal of Production Economics, 117(1), 80-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2008.08.053
- Du, J., Liang, L., Chen, Y., Cook, W. D., and Zhu, J. (2011), A bargaining game model for measuring performance of two-stage network structures, European Journal of Operational Research, 210(2), 390-397. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2010.08.025
- Guide, D. V. R., JR. and Jayaraman, V. (2000), Product acquisition management: current industry practice and a proposed framework, International Journal of Production Research, 38(16), 3779-3800. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207540050176003
- Ellison, G. and Fudenburg, D. (2000), Leaning Purified Mixed Equilibria, Journal of Economic Theory, 90, 84-115. https://doi.org/10.1006/jeth.1999.2581
- Esmaeili, M. and Zeephongsekul, P. (2010), Seller-buyer models of supply chain management with an asymmetric information structure, International Journal of Production Economics, 123(1), 146-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2009.07.016
- Ferguson, M., Guide, V. D., Koca, E., and Souza, G. C. (2009), The value of quality grading in remanufacturing, Production and Operations Management, 18(3), 300-314. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1937-5956.2009.01033.x
- Fleischmann, M., Bloemhof-Ruwaard, J. M., Dekker, R., Van der Laan, E., Van Nunen, J. A., and Van Wassenhove, L. N. (1997), Quantitative models for reverse logistics: a review, European Journal of Operational Research, 103(1), 1-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-2217(97)00230-0
- Friedman, D. (1991) Evolutionary Games in Economics, Econometrica, 59(3), 637-666. https://doi.org/10.2307/2938222
- Guide, V. D. R., JR. (2000), Production Planning and Control for Remanufacturing: Industry Practice and Research Needs, Journal of Operation Management, 18(4), 467-483. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-6963(00)00034-6
- Guide, V. D. R. and Wassenhove, L. N. (2001), Managing product returns for remanufacturing, Production and Operations Management, 10(2), 142-155.
- Guide, V. D. R., Teunter, R. H., and Van Wassenhove, L. N. (2003), Matching demand and supply to maximize profits from remanufacturing, Manufacturing and Service Operations Management, 5(4), 303-316. https://doi.org/10.1287/msom.5.4.303.24883
- Hu, Y., Guan, Y., and Liu, T. (2011), Lead-time hedging and coordination between manufacturing and sales departments using Nash and Stackelberg games, European Journal of Operational Research, 210(2), 231-240. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2010.09.001
- Inderfurth, K. (2005), Impact of uncertainties on recovery behavior in a remanufacturing environment: a numerical analysis, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 35(5), 318-336. https://doi.org/10.1108/09600030510607328
- Kaya, O. (2010), Incentive and production decisions for remanufacturing operations, European Journal of Operational Research, 201(2), 442-453. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2009.03.007
- Konstantaras, I., Skouri, K., and Jaber, M. Y. (2010), Lot sizing for a recoverable product with inspection and sorting, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 58(3), 452-462. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2009.11.004
- Lee, C., Realff, M., and Ammons, J. (2011), Integration of channel decisions in a decentralized reverse production system with retailer collection under deterministic non-stationary demands, Advanced Engineering Informatics, 25(1), 88-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aei.2010.04.001
- Leng, M. and Parlar, M. (2009), Lead-time reduction in a two-level supply chain: Non-cooperative equilibria vs. coordination with a profit-sharing contract, International Journal of Production Economics, 118 (2), 521-544. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2009.01.002
- Liu, Z. L., Anderson, T. D., and Cruz, J. M. (2012), Consumer environmental awareness and competition in two-stage supply chains, European Journal of Operational Research, 218(3), 602-613. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2011.11.027
- Maynard-Smith, J. (1974), The Theory of Games and the Evolution of Animal Conflicts, Journal of Theoretical Biology, 47(1), 209-221. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-5193(74)90110-6
- Mukhopadhyay, S. K. and Ma, H. (2009), Joint procurement and production decisions in remanufacturing under quality and demand uncertainty, International Journal of Production Economics, 120(1), 5-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2008.07.032
- Mukhopadhyay, S. K., Yue, X., and Zhu, X. (2011), A Stackelberg model of pricing of complementary goods under information asymmetry, International Journal of Production Economics, 134(2), 424-433. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2009.11.015
- Nenes, G., Panagiotidou, S., and Dekker, R. (2010), Inventory control policies for inspection and remanufacturing of returns: a case study, International Journal of Production Economics, 125(2), 300-312. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2010.02.008
- Pokharel, S. and Liang, Y. (2012), A model to evaluate acquisition price and quantity of used products for remanufacturing, International Journal of Production Economics, 138(1), 170-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2012.03.019
- Shi, J., Zhang, G., Sha, J., and Amin, S. H. (2010), Coordinating production and recycling decisions with stochastic demand and return, Journal of Systems Science and Systems Engineering, 19(4), 385-407. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11518-010-5147-5
- Shi, J., Zhang, G., and Sha, J. (2011), Optimal production planning for a multi-product closed loop system with uncertain demand and return, Computers & Operations Research, 38(3), 641-650. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cor.2010.08.008
- Tagaras, G. and Zikopoulos, C. (2008), Optimal location and value of timely sorting of used items in a remanufacturing supply chain with multiple collection sites, International Journal of Production Economics, 115(2), 424-432. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2007.10.026
- Taylor, P. J. and Jonker, L. (1978), Evolutionary Stable Strategies and Game Dynamics, Mathematical Bioscience, 40(1/2), 145-156. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-5564(78)90077-9
- Teunter, R. H. and Flapper, S. D. P. (2011), Optimal core acquisition and remanufacturing policies under uncertain core quality fractions, European Journal of Operational Research, 210(2), 241-248. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2010.06.015
- Thierry, M. C., Salomon, M., van Nunen, J. A. E. E., and van Wassenhove, L. N. (1995), Strategic issues in product recovery management, California Management Review, 37(2), 114-135. https://doi.org/10.2307/41165792
- Tsay, A. A., Nahmias, S., and Agrawal, N. (1999), Modelling supply chain contracts: a review. In: Tayur, S., Ganeshan, R., and Magazine, M. (eds.), Quantitative Models for Supply Chain Management, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, MA, 299-336.
- Van Wassenhove, L. N. and Zikopoulos, C. (2010), On the effect of quality overestimation in remanufacturing, International Journal of Production Research, 48(18), 5263-5280. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207540903150585
- Watanabe, T., Kusuawa, E., and Arizono, I. (2013), Optimal operation for green supply chain in consideration of collection incentive and quality for recycling of used products, Industrial Engineering and Management Systems, 12(4), 317-329. https://doi.org/10.7232/iems.2013.12.4.317
- Watanabe, T. and Kusukawa, E. (2014), Optimal Operation for Green Supply Chain Considering Demand Information, Collection Incentive and Quality of Recycling Parts, An International Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management Systems, 13, 129-147.
- Wei, C., Li, Y., and Cai, X. (2011), Robust optimal policies of production and inventory with uncertain returns and demand, International Journal of Production Economics, 134(2), 357-367. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2009.11.008
- Wei, J., Zhao, J., and Li, Y. (2012), Pricing decisions for a closed-loop supply chain in a fuzzy environment, Asia-Pacific Journal of Operational Research, 29(1), 1240003. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0217595912400039
- Wu, C. H. (2012), Product-design and pricing strategies with remanufacturing, European Journal of Operational Research, 222(2), 204-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2012.04.031
- Xiao, T. and Chen, G. (2009), Wholesale pricing and evolutionarily stable strategies od retailers with imperfectly observable objective, European Journal of Operational Research, 196(3), 1190-1201. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2008.04.009
- Xu, J., Jiang, W., Feng, G., and Tian, J. (2012), Comparing improvement strategies for inventory inaccuracy in a two-echelon supply chain, European Journal of Operational Research, 221(1), 213-221. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2012.03.008
- Yan, N. N. and Sun, B. W. (2012), Optimal Stackelberg strategies for closed-loop supply chain with thirdparty reverse logistics, Asia-Pacific Journal of Operational Research, 29(5), 1250026. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0217595912500261
- Yano, C. A. and Gilbert, S. M. (2004), Coordinated pricing and production/procurement decisions: a review. In: Chakravarty, A. K. and Eliashberg, J. (eds.), Managing Business Interfaces, Springer, New York, NY, 65-103.
- Yu, H., Zeng, A. Z. and Zhao, L. (2009), Analyzing the Evolutionary Stability of the Vendor-Managed Inventory Supply Chains, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 56(1), 274-282. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2008.05.016
- Zhou, M. and Deng, F. Q. (2006), Evolutionary Dynamics of an Asymmetric Game Between a Supplier and a Retailer. In: Jiao, L., Wang, L., Gao, X., Liu, J. and Wu, F.(eds.), Advances in Natural Computation: Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, Berlin, 4222, 466-469.
- Zhu, Q. H. and Dou, Y. J. (2007), Evolutionary Game Model between Governments and Core Enterprises in Greening Supply Chains, Systems Engineering-Theory and Practice, 27(12), 85-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1874-8651(08)60075-7
- Zikopoulos, C. and Tagaras, G. (2007), Impact of uncertainty in the quality of returns on the profitability of a single-period refurbishing operation, European Journal of Operational Research, 182(1), 205-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2006.10.025
- Zikopoulos, C. and Tagaras, G. (2008), On the attractiveness of sorting before disassembly in remanufacturing, IIE Transactions, 40(3), 313-323. https://doi.org/10.1080/07408170701488078