- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Function-Based Knowledge Base for Technology Intelligence
- Yoon, Janghyeok (Department of Industrial Engineering, Konkuk University) ;
- Ko, Namuk (Department of Industrial Engineering, Konkuk University) ;
- Kim, Jonghwa (Department of Industrial Engineering, Konkuk University) ;
- Lee, Jae-Min (Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information) ;
- Coh, Byoung-Youl (Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information) ;
- Song, Inseok (Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information)
- Received : 2015.03.06
- Accepted : 2015.03.12
- Published : 2015.03.30
The development of a practical technology intelligence system requires a knowledge base that structures the core information and its relationship distilled from large volumes of technical data. Previous studies have mainly focused on the methodological approaches for technology opportunities, while little attention has been paid to constructing a practical knowledge base. Therefore, this study proposes a procedure to construct a function-based knowledge base for technology intelligence. We define the product-function-technology relationship and subsequently present the detailed steps for the knowledge base construction. The knowledge base, which is constructed analyzing 1110582 patents between 2009 and 2013 from the United States Patent and Trademark Office database, contains the functional knowledge of products and technologies and the relationship between products and technologies. This study is the first attempt to develop a large-scale knowledge base using the concept of function and has the ability to serve as a basis not only for furthering technology opportunity analysis methods but also for developing practical technology intelligence systems.
Function-Based Knowledge Base;Technology Intelligence;Product-Function-Technology Relationship;Patent;Text Mining
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Chang, S.-H. and Fan, C.-Y. (2014), Analyzing Offshore Wind Power Patent Portfolios by Using Data Clustering, Industrial Engineeering and Management Systems, 13(1), 107-115. https://doi.org/10.7232/iems.2014.13.1.107
- Chen, H. and Chiang, R. H. et al. (2012), Business Intelligence and Analytics: From Big Data to Big Impact, MIS Quarterly, 36(4).
- Choi, S. and Kim, H. et al. (2013), An SAO-based textmining approach for technology roadmapping using patent information, R&D Management, 43(1), 52-74. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9310.2012.00702.x
- Choi, S. and Park, H. et al. (2012), An SAO-based text mining approach to building a technology tree for technology planning, Expert Systems with Applications, 39(13), 11443-11455. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2012.04.014
- Choi, S. and Yoon, J. et al. (2011), SAO network analysis of patents for technology trends identification: a case study of polymer electrolyte membrane technology in proton exchange membrane fuel cells, Scientometrics, 88(3), 863-883. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-011-0420-z
- Fellbaum, C. (2010), Wordnet, Theory and applications of ontology: computer applications, Springer, 231-243.
- Gero, J. S. (1990), Design prototypes: a knowledge representation schema for design, AI Magazine, 11(4), 26.
- Geum, Y. and Jeon, J. et al. (2013), Identifying technological opportunities using the novelty detection technique: a case of laser technology in semiconductor manufacturing, Technology Analysis and Strategic Management, 25(1), 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1080/09537325.2012.748892
- Hayes-Roth, F. and Waterman, D. A. et al. (1983), Building expert systems, Teknowledge Series in Knowledge Engineering, Reading: Addison-Wesley, edited by Hayes-Roth, Frederick; Waterman, Donald A.; Lenat, Douglas B, 1.
- Hirtz, J. and Stone, R. B. et al. (2002), A functional basis for engineering design: reconciling and evolving previous efforts, Research in engineering Design, 13(2), 65-82. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00163-001-0008-3
- Kasravi, K. and Risov, M. (2007), Patent Mining-Discover y of Business Value from Patent Repositor ies. System Sciences, HICSS 40th Annual Hawaii International Conference on, IEEE.
- Kerr, C. I. and Mortara, L. et al. (2006), A conceptual model for technology intelligence, International Journal of Technology Intelligence and Planning, 2(1), 73-93. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJTIP.2006.010511
- Altshuller, G. S. (1984), Creativity as an exact science: The theory of the solution of inventive problems, CRC Press.
- Ashton, W. B. and Stacey, G. S. (1995), Technical intelligence in business: understanding technology threats and opportunities, International Journal of Technology Management, 10(1), 79-104.
- Bennett, S. and McRobb, S. et al. (2006). Object-oriented systems analysis and design using UML, McGraw-Hill Berkshire, UK.
- Bergmann, I. and Butzke, D. et al. (2008), Evaluating the risk of patent infringement by means of semantic patent analysis: the case of DNA chips, R&D Management, 38(5), 550-562. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9310.2008.00533.x
- Cascini, G. and Fantechi, A. et al. (2004), Natural language processing of patents and technical documentation, Document analysis systems VI, Springer, 508-520.
- Cascini, G. and Russo, D. (2007), Computer-aided analysis of patents and search for TRIZ contradictions, International Journal of Product Development, 4(1), 52-67. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJPD.2007.011533
- Cascini, G. and Zini, M. (2008), Measuring patent similarity by comparing inventions functional trees, Computer-Aided Innovation (CAI), Springer, 31-42.
- KISTI (2013), intelligence system development for information analysis, Daejun, Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information.
- Kitamura, Y. and Mizoguchi, R. (2004), Ontology-based systematization of functional knowledge, Journal of Engineering Design, 15(4), 327-351. https://doi.org/10.1080/09544820410001697163
- Lee, J. and Hong, Y. S. (2014), Business model mining: Analyzing a firm's business model with text mining of annual report, Industrial Engineeering and Management Systems, 13(4), 432-441. https://doi.org/10.7232/iems.2014.13.4.432
- Lee, S. and Yoon, B. et al. (2009), An approach to discovering new technology opportunities: Keyword-based patent map approach, Technovation, 29(6), 481-497. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2008.10.006
- Lichtenthaler, E. (2004), Technological change and the technology intelligence process: a case study, Journal of Engineering and technology Management, 21(4), 331-348. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jengtecman.2004.09.003
- Mann, D. (2002), Hands-on systematic innovation, Creax press Belgium.
- Miller, G. A. (1995), WordNet: a lexical database for English, Communications of the ACM, 38(11), 39-41.
- Moehrle, M. G. and Walter, L. et al. (2005), Patent-based inventor profiles as a basis for human resource decisions in research and development, R&D Management, 35(5), 513-524. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9310.2005.00408.x
- Park, H. and Kim, K. et al. (2013), A patent intelligence system for strategic technology planning, Expert Systems with Applications, 40(7), 2373-2390. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2012.10.073
- Park, H. and Yoon, J. et al. (2012), Identifying patent infringement using SAO based semantic technological similarities, Scientometrics, 90(2), 515-529. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-011-0522-7
- Park, H. and Yoon, J. et al. (2013), Using functionbased patent analysis to identify potential application areas of technology for technology transfer, Expert Systems with Applications.
- Pedersen, T. and Patwardhan, S. et al. (2004), WordNet:: Similarity: measuring the relatedness of concepts. Demonstration Papers at HLT-NAACL 2004, Association for Computational Linguistics.
- Savransky, S. D. (2002), Engineering of creativity: Introduction to TRIZ methodology of inventive problem solving, CRC Press.
- Souili, A. and Cavallucci, D. (2013), Toward an automatic extraction of IDM concepts from patents, CIRP Design 2012, Springer, 115-124.
- Stone, R. B. and Wood, K. L. (2000), Development of a functional basis for design, Journal of Mechanical Design, 122, 359. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1289637
- Suh, N. P. (1990), The principles of design, Oxford University Press New York.
- Umeda, Y. and Ishii, M. et al. (1996), Supporting conceptual design based on the function-behavior-state modeler, Ai Edam, 10(4), 275-288.
- Yoon, B. (2008), On the development of a technology intelligence tool for identifying technology opportunity, Expert Systems with Applications, 35(1), 124-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2007.06.022
- Yoon, B. and Park, Y. (2005), A systematic approach for identifying technology opportunities: Keywordbased morphology analysis, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 72(2), 145-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2004.08.011
- Yoon, B. and Park, Y. (2007), Development of new technology forecasting algorithm: hybrid approach for morphology analysis and conjoint analysis of patent information, Engineering Management, IEEE Transactions on, 54(3), 588-599. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEM.2007.900796
- Yoon, B. U. and Yoon, C. B. et al. (2002), On the development and application of a self-organizing feature map-based patent map, R&D Management, 32(4), 291-300. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9310.00261
- Yoon, J. and Choi, S. et al. (2011), Invention propertyfunction network analysis of patents: a case of silicon-based thin film solar cells, Scientometrics, 86(3), 687-703. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-010-0303-8
- Yoon, J. and Kim, K. (2011), Identifying rapidly evolving technological trends for R&D planning using SAObased semantic patent networks, Scientometrics, 88(1), 213-228. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-011-0383-0
- Yoon, J. and Kim, K. (2012), Detecting signals of new technological opportunities using semantic patent analysis and outlier detection, Scientometrics, 90(2), 445-461. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-011-0543-2
- Yoon, J. and Kim, K. (2012), TrendPerceptor: A property-function based technology intelligence system for identifying technology trends from patents, Expert Systems with Applications, 39(3), 2927-2938. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2011.08.154
- Yoon, J. and Lim, J. et al. (2011), Ontological functional modeling of technology for reusability, Expert Systems with Applications, 38(8), 10484-10492. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2011.02.090
- Yoon, J. and Park, H. et al. (2013), Identifying technological competition trends for R&D planning using dynamic patent maps: SAO-based content analysis, Scientometrics, 94(1), 313-331. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-012-0830-6