- Volume 39 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Monitoring of Tidal Sand Shoal with a Camera Monitoring System and its Morphologic Change
카메라를 활용한 조석사주 관측시스템 구축 및 지형변화
- Lee, Soong-Ji (Ocean Science, Inha University) ;
- Lee, Guan-Hong (Ocean Science, Inha University) ;
- Kang, Tae-Soon (GeoSystem Research Corperation) ;
- Kim, Young-Taeg (Ocean Research Division, Korea Hydrographic and Oceanographic Administration) ;
- Kim, Tea-Lim (Department of Ocean Science and Engineering, Kunsan National University)
- Received : 2014.10.30
- Accepted : 2015.03.25
- Published : 2015.03.31
A tidal sandshoal, called 'Puldeung' in the Daeijackdo Marine Protected Area(DMPA), is facing erosion due to sand mining in the nearby coastal region. To monitor the morphologic change and erosion of Puldeung, a camera monitoring system was established at the top of Song-Ee Mountain in Daeijack Island. The system consists of 2 Cannon digital cameras, Eye-fi memory card/Long-Term Evolution wireless network, and solar power supply. The acquired camera images were analyzed to obtain the area of Puldeung by the following methods: geometric correction of image, identification of shoreline, areal measurement of Puldeung and its error estimation. To compare the Puldeung area with previously measured area of 1.79 km2 at tidal height of 137 cm in 2008 and of 1.59 km2 at tidal height of 148 cm in 2010, we selected images with same tidal heights. The Puldeung area was 1.37 and 1.23 km2 at the tidal height of 137 and 148 cm, respectively. The erosion at DMPA is very severe and thus it is imperative to initiate the morphodynamical study on the seasonal variation and long-term evolution of Puldeung as well as the causes and measures of Puldeung erosion.
Grant : 동북아평화를 위한 상고사정립 국가전략사업단
- Korea Hydrographic and Oceanographic Administration, "Development of coastal erosion monitoring system," pp. 209, 2009 (in Korean).
- H. S. Yun, S. U. Ryu, and T. S. Kang, "Monitoring system of sandbar variation of estuary using video-based technique," Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Engineering, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 630-636, 2008 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5916/jkosme.2008.32.4.630
- J. H. Park, H. S. Yun, and C. R. Ryu, "Video monitoring of shoreline changes of an offshore bar in the Nakdong River estuary, South Korea," Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Engineering, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 575-584, 2010 (in Korean).
- T. L. Kim and S. G. Park, "Study on intertidal flat topography observation using camera images," Journal of Korean Society of Oceanography, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 145-151, 2006 (in Korean).
- S. G. J. Aarinkhof, I. L. Turner, T. D. T. Dronkers, M. Caljouw, and L. Nipius, "A video-based technique for mapping intertidal beach bathymetry," Coastal Engineering, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 275-289, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-3839(03)00064-4
- Korea Marine Environment Management Corporation, "Research and monitoring of 2012 marine protected area," 11-1611000-002539-10, pp. 259, 2012 (in Korea).
- R. A. Hollman and R. T. Guza, "Measuring run-up on a natural beach," Coastal Engineering, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 129-140, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-3839(84)90008-5
- T. S. Kang, K. H. Kim, S. Y. Nam, and C. S. Hwang, "The characteristics of Haeundae beach morphodynamics using video monitoring method," Proceedings of the Korea Society of Marine engineering, pp. 347-348, 2009 (in Korean).
- B. C. Kum, D. H. Shin, S. G. Jung, S. Jang, and J. G. Oh, "Morphological features of bedforms and their changes due to marine sand mining in southern Gyeonggi bay," Ocean and Polar Research, vol. 32, no. 4, pp 337-350, 2010b (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2010.32.4.337
- M. J. Park, Modelling of Sediment Transport and the Formation of Sand Shoal at Macro-tidal Area, Research Report to Korea Research Foundation, pp. 32, 1999 (in Korean).
- D. L. Choi and S. R. Kim, "Transport of sandy sediments in the yellow sea off Tae-An peninsula, Korea," Journal of the Korean Society of Oceanography, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 66-77, 1992 (in Korean).
- Incheon Regional Maritime Affairs & Port Authority, "2010 Citizen's Monitoring of Daeijackdo Marine Protected Area," pp. 63, 2010 (in Korean).
- R. A. Hollman and A. H. Sallenger. Jr, "Set-up and swash on a natural beach," Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 90, no. C1, pp. 945-953, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1029/JC090iC01p00945
- J. W. Maresca and E. Seibel, "Errestrial photogrammetric measurements of breaking waves and longshore currents in the nearshore zone," Proceedings of the 15th Conference on Coastal Engineering, pp. 681-700, 1976.
- A. Kroon, M. A. Davidson, S. G. J. Aarninkhof, R. Archetti, C. Armaroli, M. Gonzalez, S. Medri, A. Osorio, T. Aagaard, R. A. Holman, and R. Spanhoff, "Application of remote sensing video systems to coastline management problems," Coastal Engineering, vol. 54, no. 6-7, pp. 493-505, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coastaleng.2007.01.004
- T. R. Kim, G. S. Lee, and G. D. Seo, "Review of coastal environmental measurement techniques using video monitoring," Journal of Korean Society of Coastal and Ocean Engineers, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 45-53, 1998 (in Korean).
- J. B. U. Kim, Y. A. Park, I. S. Oh, B. G. Kim, and G. S. Choi, "Beach profile estimation using a photogrammetry," Journal of Korean Society of Oceanography, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 228-233, 1998 (in Korean).
- T. S. Kang, S. Y. Nam, and M. H. Kim, "Analysis of coastal erosion in Korea usingn real-time video monitoring Technique, Korean," Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 47-56, 2007 (in Korean).
- B. C. Kum, D. H. Shin, S. K. Jung, Y. K. Lee, and J. G. Oh, "Morphological characteristics and control factors of bedforms in southern Gyeonggi bay, yellow sea," Journal of the Korean Earth Science Society, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 608-624, 2010a (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2010.31.6.608
- B. C. Kum and D. H. Shin, "Dune migration on an offshore sand ridge in the southern gyeonggi Bay," Ocean and Polar Research, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 51-61, 2013 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2013.35.1.051
- H. G. Bang, H. Y. Lee, J. C. Jang, C. W. Lee, and J. G. Oh, "History and characteristics of tidal sand ridges in Kyeonggi bay, Korea," Journal of the Korean Society of Oceanography, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 278-286, 1994b (in Korean).
- D. Knuth. The Art of Programming. 2nd ed. Addison-Wesley, 1973.
- Y. S. Park, G. G. Ji, and H. G. Bang, Basic Research on Marine Environmental Geology of the Kyeonggi Bay, Technical Report KR-95(B)-9, Korea Institute of Geoscience And Mineral Resources, Korea, 1995 (in Korean).
- T. S. Jang, Stratigraphic Development of Large-scale, Tidal Sand Bars in Gyeonggi Bay, Technical Report JP2006_024-2007(1), Korea Institute of Geoscience And Mineral Resources, Korae, 2007 (in Korean).
- H. G. Bang, C. W. Lee, and J. G. Oh, "Origin and characteristics of sand ridges in the western continental shelf of Korean peninsula," Journal of the Korean Society of Oceanography, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 217-227, 1994 (in Korean).
- S. S. Chun, G. H. Min, and I. T. Lee, Evolution of Transgressive Subtidal Sand Ridges and Intertidal-Flat Bodies in the Kyeonggi Bay Area, and Its Appliction to Ancient Transgressive Coastal Deposits, Research Report to Korea Research Foundation, R01-2001-000-0008-0, pp. 54, 2003 (in Korean).
- Y. K. Kwon, "Late quaternary sequence stratigraphy in Kyeonggi bay, mid-eastern yellow sea," Journal of the Korean Earth Science Society, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 242-258, 2012 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2012.33.3.242
- Y. O. Lee, S. I. Choi, and G. C. Jung, "Seismic stratigraphy and sedimentary environment of the Dukjuk-Do sand ridge in western Gyeonggi bay, Korea," Journal of the Engineering Geology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 9-21, 2014 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.9720/kseg.2014.1.9
- J. Y. Choi, Y. K. Kwon, and G. S. Chung, "Late quaternary stratigraphy and depositional environment of tidal sand ridge deposits in Gyeonggi bay, west coast of Korea," Journal of the Korean Earth Science Society, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 10-19, 2012 (in Korean).