- Volume 52 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Color Enhancement of Natural Sapphires by High Pressure High Temperature Process
- Song, Jeongho (Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Seoul) ;
- Noh, Yunyoung (Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Seoul) ;
- Song, Ohsung (Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Seoul)
- Received : 2014.12.02
- Accepted : 2015.02.02
- Published : 2015.03.31
We employed the high-pressure high temperature (HPHT) process to enhance the colors of natural sapphires to obtain a vivid blue. First, we analyze the content of the coloring agent
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Y. Chiang, D. Birnielll, and W. Kingery, Physical Ceramics; pp. 133-35, John Wiley & Sons Inc., Canada, 1996.
- Y. K. Ahn, "Color Change by the Beryllium Diffused and Heat Treated Corundum from Various Deposits," pp. 48-58, Ph. D. Thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2013.
- T. Themelis, Beryllium-Treated Rubies & Sapphires; pp. 6-7, A&T Publishing, LA, 2003.
- S. F. McClure and C. P. Smith, "Gemstone Enhancement and Detection in the 1990s," Gems Gemol., 36  337-38 (2000).
- R. E. Kane, R. C. Kammerling, and J. I. Koivula, "The Identification of Blue Diffusion-Treated Sapphires," Gems Gemol., 26  115-33 (1990). https://doi.org/10.5741/GEMS.26.2.115
- K. Chemetzer, H. A. Hanni, E. P. Jegge, and E. J. Chupp, "Dyed Natural Corundum as a Ruby Imitation," Gems Gemol., 28  112-15 (1992). https://doi.org/10.5741/GEMS.28.2.112
- J. H. Song, S. H. Moon, G. W. Jang, and O. S. Song, "Property Change of Sri-Lanka Milky Geudas with Heat Treatment," J. Korean Gems and Jewelry, 7  129-36 (2013).
- J. H. Song and O. S. Song, "Color Enhancement of the TypeII and TypeIaB Brown Diamonds into Colorless by HPHT Process(in Korean)," J. Korean Ceram. Soc., 49  221-24 (2012). https://doi.org/10.4191/kcers.2012.49.3.221
- J. H. Song and O. S. Song, "Surface Graphite Formation of the Brown Colored Type I Diamonds During High Pressure Annealing(in Korean)," J. Korean Ceram. Soc., 49  614-19 (2012). https://doi.org/10.4191/kcers.2012.49.6.614
- E. Fritsch and G. R. Rossman, "An Update on Color in Gems. Part 3:Colors Caused by Band Gap and Physical Phenomena," Gems Gemol., 24  81-102 (1998).
- L. V. Nikolskaya, V. M. Terekhova, M. I. Samoilovich, "On the Origin of Natural Sapphire Color," Phys. Chem. Minerals, 3 213-24 (1978). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00633571
- M. Kadleikova, J. Breza, and M. Vesely, "Raman Spectra of Synthetic Sapphire," Microelectron. J., 32 955-58 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0026-2692(01)00087-8