- Volume 11 Issue 1
In the past decade, East Asian Research has received attention from researchers as well as in South Korea society-at-large. The broad category of East Asian Research includes various disciplinary fields, such as "history, economics, and politics; however, few studies have used quantitative analysis to explore its development. In this paper, we used network analysis to identify the disciplines and active research areas, focusing on productivity, collaboration patterns, and citation networks of East Asian Research in South Korea. For this study, 6,646 journal publications related with East Asian Research and indexed by KCI (Korean Citation Index) during the 10-year period of 2004-2013 were considered. Results show that East Asian Research was led during this period by sole-researchers, rather than interdisciplinary studies. Moreover, a co-institution network represents active institutions with a high degree and collaborative centrality. In terms of journal-journal citation networks, journals belonging to both "history" and "Korean literature" disciplines were dominant.
East Asian Research;Network Analysis;Co-authorship;Citation;Korean Citation Index
- Y. C. Bae, Ecosystem analysis of academic research using DB of Research foundation of Korea, National Research Foundation of Korea, 2013.
- Y. S. Baik, Interlocking Eastern Asia, Korean Peninsula as an Issue, Changbi Publishers, vol. 39, no. 1, 2013, pp. 15-37.
- S. P. Borgatti, M. G. Everett, and L. C. Freeman, UCINET 6 for Windows: Software for social network analysis (Version 6.102), Harvard, MA: Analytic Technologies, 2002.
- A. R. Radcliffe-Brown, Structure and function in primitive society: essays and address, Cohen and West Ltd., 1952.
- H. W. Chang, "A bibliometric analysis of Asian authorship pattern in JASIST 1981-2005," In Asia-Pacific Conference on Library and Information Education and Practice, Tsukuba, Japan, 2009, pp. 6-8.
- K. H. Choi, "Web-sites Features and Network Analysis on Statistics-relevant Associations," Journal of The Korean Data Analysis Society, vol. 10, no. 3, 2008, pp. 1603-1612.
- K. H. Choi, H. H. Oh, and H. J. Kwak, "Network analysis using frequency of cross-citation and comparing citation index of accounting journals," Journal of digital convergence, vol. 12, no. 2, 2014, pp. 143-149. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.2.143
- S. H. Choi, "A Study on the identity of "East Asia" in the 21st Century," Journal of Chinese Humanities, vol. 39, 2008, pp. 381-397.
- L. C. Freeman, "Centrality in social networks: Conceptual clarification," Social Networks, vol. 1, 1979, pp. 215-239.
- D. Hansen, B. Shneiderman, and M. A. Smith, Analyzing social media networks with NodeXL: Insights from a connected world, Morgan Kaufmann, 2010.
- G. E. Heo and M. Song, "Examining the Intellectual Structure of a Medical Informatics Journal with Author Co-citation Analysis and Co-word Analysis," Journal of the Korean Society for Information Management, vol. 30, no. 2, 2013, pp. 207-225.
- R. Hierppe, An Ontline of Bibilometrics and Citation Analysis, Sweden: the Royal Institute of Technology Library, 1980.
- W. K. Im, "The Evolution of East-Asian Discourses as critical regionalism in Korea," The Journal of Modern Chinese Literature, vol. 40, 2007, pp. 1-51.
- H. Y. Jung and Y. M. Chung, "A Comparative Study on Interdisciplinarity in the Fields of Science and Technology Based on Journal Citation and Web Link Analyses," Journal of the Korean Society for Information Management, vol. 24, no. 3, 2007, pp. 179-200. https://doi.org/10.3743/KOSIM.2007.24.3.179
- M. J. Kim, "Korean science and international collaboration, 1995-2000," Scientometrics, vol. 63, no. 2, 2005, pp. 321-339. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-005-0215-1
- M. J. Kim, "Visibility of Korean science journals: an analysis between citation measures among international composition of editorial board and foreign authorship," Scientometrics, vol. 84, no. 2, 2010, pp. 505-522. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-010-0168-x
- Y. H. Kim, "Structural Power and Network Centrality in Social Network Analysis, Institute of Humanities," Yonsei University, vol. 58, no. 94, 1987, pp. 141-163.
- J. T. Klein and W. H. Newell, "Advancing interdisciplinary studies," In W. H. Newell (Ed.), Interdisciplinarity: Essays from the Literature (pp. 3-22), New York: College Entrance Examination Board., 1998.
- T. Y. Lau, "Chinese communication studies: A citation analysis of Chinese communication research in Englishlanguage journals," Scientometrics, vol. 33, no. 1, 1995, pp. 65-91. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02020775
- D. Y. Lee, "The Sections of building Discourse of East Asia-Critical Review," Culture/Science, 2007, pp. 98-118.
- L. Leydesdorff, "Betweeness centrality as an indicator of the interdisciplinarity of scientific journals," Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, vol. 58, no. 9, 2007, pp. 133-1319. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.20463
- L. Leydesdorff, H. W. Park, and C. Wagner, "International Co-authorship Relations in the Social Science Citation Index: Is Internationalization Leading the Network?," Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, vol. 65, no. 10, 2013, pp. 2111-2126.
- A. J. Lotka, "The frequency distribution of scientific productivity," Journal of Washington Academy Sciences, 1926.
- F. Morillo, M. Bordons, and I. Gomez, "An approach to interdisciplinarity bibliometric indicators," Scientometrics, vol. 51, no. 1, 2001, pp. 203-222. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1010529114941
- H. W. Park, "Online Network among South Korea`s SandT Academic Institutions and Web Impact Factor," The Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, vol. 9, no. 6, 2007, pp. 3013-3028.
- H. W. Park and L. Leydesdorff, "Korean journals in the Science Citation Index: What do they reveal about the intellectual structure of SandT in Korea?," Scientometrics, vol. 75, no. 3, 2008, pp. 439-462. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-007-1862-1
- H. W. Park, J. S. Kim, and C. Y. Jang, "Internet information flow among the provinces in South Korea," The Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, vol. 7, no. 3, 2005, pp. 917-932.
- S. W. Park, "Review of the Discourses on East Asian Community," Asia review, vol. 1, no. 1, 2011, pp. 61-110. https://doi.org/10.24987/SNUACAR.2011.06.1.1.61
- E. K. Seo and I. K. Han, "Bibliometric Analysis on MIS Research," The Journal of MIS research, vol. 7, no. 3, 1997, pp. 145-165.
- E. K. Seo and S. Y. Yu, "Detecting Research Trends in Korean Information Science Research, 2000-2011," Journal of the Korean Society for Information Management, vol. 30, no. 4, 2013, pp. 215-239. https://doi.org/10.3743/KOSIM.2013.30.4.215
- W. Shockley, "On the statistics of individual variations of productivity in research laboratories," Proceedings of the IRE, vol. 45, no. 3, 1957, pp. 279-290. https://doi.org/10.1109/JRPROC.1957.278364
- Y. Y. Il, "The question that what is East Asia," Hwanghae Review, vol. 69, 2010, pp. 305-334.
- H. J. Wang, "[Modern I] The tradition of Korean Modern History . The connection of Modern with Seeking the relation of Eastern Asia History," The Korean Historical Review, vol. 207, 2010, pp. 17-37.
- S. Wasserman and K. Faust, Social network analysis: Methods and applications, New York: Cambridge University, 1994.
- M. N. Hwang, S. W. Lee, M. H. Cho, S. Y. Kim, S. P. Choi, and H. M. Jung, "Ontology Construction of Technological Knowledge for R&D Trend Analysis," Journal of the Korea Contents Association, vol. 12, no. 12, 2012, pp. 35-45.
- I. S. Kang, S. W. Lee, H. M. Jung, P. Kim, H. K. Koo, M. K. Lee, W. K. Sung, and D. I. Park, "Features for Author Disambiguation," Journal of the Korea Contents Association, vol. 8, no. 2, 2008, pp. 41-47.
- C. L. Hsu, J. Y. Park, and H. W. Park, "A-List Twitter Users in Korea's Political Tweet Sphere," International Journal of Contents. vol. 8, no. 3, 2012, pp. 7-11.
- S. E. Cho and H. W. Park, "Cross-national comparison of twitter use between South Korea and Japan: An exploratory study," International Journal of Contents, vol. 8, no. 4, 2012, pp. 50-55. https://doi.org/10.5392/IJoC.2012.8.4.050
- S. E. Cho and H. W. Park, "Who are Dominant Communicators on Twitter? A Study of Korean Twitter Users," International Journal of Contents, vol. 9, no. 1, 2013, pp. 49-59. https://doi.org/10.5392/IJoC.2013.9.1.049
- J. Y. Kim, Y. J. Ha, and H. W. Park, "Online Social Capital Analysis on the Yeungnam Local Presses : Website and Social Media," Journal of the Korea Contents Association, vol. 13, no. 4, 2013, pp. 73-85.
- S. E. Cho and H, W, Park, "Government's Social Media: A Study of Twitter Use and Network among Seven Nations," Journal of the Korea Contents Association, vol. 13, no. 8, 2013, pp. 160-170.
- S. C. Choi, X. V. Meza, and H. W. Park, "South Korean Culture Goes Latin America: Social network analysis of Kpop Tweets in Mexico," International Journal of Contents, vol. 10, no. 1, 2014, pp. 36-42. https://doi.org/10.5392/IJoC.2014.10.1.036
- S. J. Lee, "Examination of Factors Influencing the Attitude toward SNS-based Advertising and the Roles of Involvement: Focusing on Facebook News Feed Advertising," Journal of the Korea Contents Association, vol. 14, no. 9, 2014, pp. 188-202.
- S. K. Hong, Hallyu in Globalization and Digital Culture Era, Seoul:Hanulbooks, 2013
- Open data in Nepal: a webometric network analysis vol.51, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11135-016-0379-1
연구 과제번호 : “글로컬 동아시아 문화콘텐츠” 전문인재 양성 사업단