- Volume 6 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Analysis of the Influence of Electrical Discharge Machining Parameters on Surface Roughness of CK45
Abedi, Esmail;Daneshmand, Saeed;Karimi, Iman;Neyestanak, A. A. Lotfi
- Received : 2014.12.24
- Accepted : 2015.01.06
- Published : 2015.12.31
Electrical discharge machining is an unconventional machining process in which successive sparks applied to machine the electrically conductive materials. Any changes in electrical discharge machining parameters lead to the pieces with distinct surface roughness. The electrical discharge machining process is well applied for high hardness materials or when it is difficult to use traditional techniques to do material removing. Furthermore, this method is widely applied in industries such as aerospace, automobile, molding, and tool making. CK45 is one of the important steels in industrial and electrical discharge machining can be considered as a proper way for its machining because of high hardness of CK45 after thermal operation of the electrical discharge machining process. Optimization of surface roughness as an output parameters as well as electrical discharge machining parameters including current, voltage and frequency for electrical discharge machining of CK45 has been studied using copper tools and kerosene as the dielectric. For such a purpose and to achieve the precise statistical analysis of the experiment results design of experiment was applied while non linear regression method was chosen to assess the response of surface roughness. Then, the results were analyzed by means of ANOVA method and machining parameters with more effects on the desired outputs were determined. Finally, mathematical model obtained for surface roughness.
Electrical Discharge Machining;Surface Roughness;CK45 Steel;Non Linear Regression;Design of Experiments;Frequency;Current
- Gostimirovic, M. Kovac, P. Sekulic, M. Skoric, B. Influence of discharge energy on machining characteristics in EDM, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, 26, 173-179(2011).
- Ghose, J. Sharma, V. Kumar, N. Krishnamurthy, A. Kumar, S. Botak, Z. Taguchi-fuzzy based mapping of EDM-machinabilIty of aluminum foam, Tehnicki vjesnik / Technical Gazette; 18, 595-600(2011).
- Abedi, E. Daneshmand, S. Lotfi Neyestanak A. A. Monfared, V. Analysis and modeling of electro discharge machining input parameters of Nitinol shape memory alloy by De-ionized water and copper tools, Journal of electrochemical science, 9, 2934-2943 (2014).
- Elman, C. Jameson. Electrical discharge machining, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, (2001).
- Amorim, F.L. Weingaertner, W.L. Die-sinking electrical discharge machining of a high-strength copper- based alloy for injection molds. Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering, ; XXVI (2), pp. 137-144(2004).
- LotfiNeyestanak, A. A. and Daneshmand, S. The effect of operational cutting parameters on Nitinol-60 in wire electro discharge machining, Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 2013, pp. 1-6.
- Ashish, M.W. George, P.M. Raghunath, B.K. Manocha, L.M. Warrierc, A.M. EDM machining of carbon-carbon composite - aTaguchi approach, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 145, 66-71(2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(03)00863-X
- Kibria, G. Sarkar, B.R. Pradhan B.B. Bhattacharyya, B. Comparative study of different dielectrics for micro-EDM performance during microhole machining of Ti-6Al-4V alloy, Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 48, 557-570 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-009-2298-y
- Lin, Y.C. Hwang, L. R. Cheng, C.H. Su, P.L. Effects of electrical discharge energy on machining performance and bending strength of cemented tungsten carbides, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 206, 491-499(2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2007.12.056
- Ghanem, F. Braham, C. Sidhom, H. Influence of steel type on electrical discharge machined surface integrity, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 142, 163-173 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(03)00572-7
- Tomadi, S.H. Hassan, M.A. Hamedon, Z. Daud, R. Khalid, A.G. Analysis of the influence of EDM parameters on surface quality, material removal rate and electrode wear of tungsten carbide, International Multi Conference of Engineers and Computer Scientists, Hong Kong, March, 18-20(2009).
- LotfiNeyestanak, A.A. Daneshmand, S. Adib Nazari, S. The effect of operational cutting parameters in the wire electro discharge machining (WEDM) on micro hardness of alloy surface layer, Journal of Advanced Design and Manufacturing Technology, 2, 51-58(2009).
- Lee, S.H. Li, X.P. Study of the effect of machining parameters on the machining characteristics in electrical discharge machining of tungsten carbide, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 115, 344-358(2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(01)00992-X
- Kao, J.Y. Tsao, C.C. Wang, S.S. Hsu, C.Y. Optimization of the EDM parameters on machining Ti-6Al-4V with multiple quality characteristics, Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 47, 395-402(2010). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-009-2208-3