- Volume 20 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Study on Developing the Draft of International Standard for the Determination of Perchlorate in Soil Using Ion Chromatography
이온크로마토그래피를 이용한 토양 중 퍼클로레이트 정량에 관한 국제표준(안) 연구
- Choi, Cheon-il ;
- Lee, Goon-taek ;
- Park, Min-ki ;
- Jeong, Moon-ju ;
- Kim, Ji-yang ;
- Kang, Ji-young ;
- Ryu, Ji-young
- Received : 2015.10.02
- Accepted : 2015.11.28
- Published : 2015.11.30
Based on the literature study for the determination of perchlorate in soil we chose the ion chromatography as a measurement method and decided to use 70 mM KOH as an eluent to avoid the interference derived from the co-elution of pyrophosphate (P2O74−), tripolyphosphate (P3O105−). Also we proposed to use air dried soil through 0.15 mm sieve and distilled water as an extractant. Under the these basic concepts, we carried out the experiments to set up the detail procedure like solid to liquid ratio (S/L ratio), extraction time, device for extraction and indicating factors for quality control (e.g. precision, accuracy, MDL, LOQ). In case of time and device for extraction, 5 hours of mechanical shaking or 1 hour of centrifugation showed better precision and accuracy than that of sonication for 1 hour According to these results, we proposed the extraction method combining 5 hours of mechanical shaking with 1 hour of centrifugation. From the aspect of S/L ratio, the ratio of 1/2 or 1/3 showed resonable precision and accuracy. In case of the ratio of 1/2, there would be some problems in the separation process when the proportion of fine particle is high. Therefore, we proposed the extraction ratio of solid to liquid as 1/3 instead of 1/2. With the consideration of cost effectiveness and soil salinity, we proposed the use of cartridge for removing the interfering anions like chloride, sulfate and carbonate in specific sample such as saline soil.
Perchlorate;Soil analysis;International standard;S/L ratio
- Canas, J.E., Patel, R., Tian, K., and Anderson, T.A., 2006, J. Environ. Monit., 8, 399-405. https://doi.org/10.1039/b515978d
- Dasgupta, P.K., Martinelango, P.K., Jackson, W.A., Anderson, T.A., Tian, K., Tock, R.W., and Rajagopalan, S., 2005, The origin of naturally occurring perchlorate: the role of atmospheric process, Environ. Sci. Technol., 39(6), 1569-1575. https://doi.org/10.1021/es048612x
- ISO WD 19340, 2014, Water quality-Dertermination of dissolved perchlorate-method using in chromatography(IC), International Organization for standardization.
- ITRC, 2005, Perchlorate: Overview of issues, status, and remedial options, Interstate Technology Regulatory Council.
- Jackson, P.E., Gokhale, S., Streib, T., Rohrer, J.S., and Pohl, C.A., 2000, Improved method for the determination of trace perchlorate in ground and drinking water, J. Chromatogr. A., 888, 151. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9673(00)00557-4
- Kim, H.B., Sim, Y.J., Kim, M.Y., and Oh, J.E., 2008, Monitoring and evaluation of analytical methods of perchlorate with IC and LC/MS, J. Kor. Soc. Environ. Eng., 30(1), 37-44.
- Kim, M.Y., Sim, Y.J., Lee, E.S., and Oh, J.E., 2008, Analysis of Perchlorate in River, Soil, and Dairy Products Samples using LC/MS/MS, J. Kor. Soc. Environ. Anal., 11(4), 254-260.
- KMOE, 2013, Soil official testing method.
- KMOE, 2014, Regulation for the candidate contaminants in drinking water, Korean Ministry of Environment.
- Smith, P.N., Yu, L., McMurry, S.T., and Anderson, T. A., 2004, Perchlorate in water, soil, vegetation, and rodents collected from the Las Vegas Wash, Nevada, USA, Environ. Pollut., 132, 121-127. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2004.03.017
- ThermoScientific, 2012, Determination of perchlorate in high ionic strength fertilizer extracts by ion chromatography, Application Note 144.
- USEPA, 1998b, Designation of hazardous substances, Code of Federal Regulations 40 CFR 116.4.
- USEPA Method 314.0, 2005a, Determination of perchlorate in drinking water using ion chromatography, Office of Research and Development.
- USEPA Method 331.0, 2005b, Determination of perchlorate in drinking water by liquid chromatography electrospray ionization mass spectrometry, United State Environmental Protection Agency.
- USEPA Method 331.0, 2005c, Determination of perchlorate in drinking water by ion chromatography with suppressed conductivity detection and electrospray ionization mass spectrometry, United State Environmental Protection Agency.
- USEPA Method 6860, 2007, Perchlorate in water, soils and solid wastes using ion chromatography ionization/mass spectrometry(IC/ESI/MS or IC/ESI/MS/MS), United State Environmental Protection Agency.
- USEPA Method 314.2, 2008, Determination of perchlorate in drinking water using two-dimensional ion chromatography with suppressed conductivity detection, United State Environmental Protection Agency.