- Volume 26 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Design of a 3:1 Wideband Circular Polarizer with Multilayered Meanderline Using Hybrid Method
하이브리드 방법을 이용한 다층 미앤더선로 구조의 3:1 광대역 원편파 편파기 설계
Lee, Cheol-Soo;Pack, Jeong-Ki
- Received : 2015.07.31
- Accepted : 2015.08.26
- Published : 2015.08.31
In this paper, a wideband circular polarizer operating in the frequency range of 6~18 GHz is designed and fabricated using a multilayer structure with meanderlines. A T matrix expression for the unit structure, which consists of meanderline, dielectric substrate and spacer, was derived using the boundary value solution. A proposed meanderline structure was modeled as an array of unit meanderline cell in order to apply the waveguide model with PEC and PMC boundary conditions. The calculation procedures to obtain an equivalent susceptance of the unit meanderline cell using HFSS was also suggested. Using a hybrid method, which combines the T matrix with the HFSS results, and cut-and-try method, a wideband circular polarizer with low insertion loss and good AR performance was designed. The fabricated polarizer has the return loss less than -10 dB within 92 % bandwidth, the average insertion loss less than -0.24 dB, and the average AR below 2.6 dB for full 3:1 bandwidth.
Wideband Circular Polarizer;Meanderline
- T. K. Wu, "Meander-line polrizer for arbitrary rotation of linear polarization", IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, vol. 4, pp. 199-201, Jun. 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/75.294292
- J. C. Zhang, Y. Z. Yin, and J. P. Ma, "Multifuntional meanderline polarizer", Progress in Electromagnetics Research Letters, vol. 6, pp. 55-60, 2009. https://doi.org/10.2528/PIERL08112303
- M. Letizia, B. Fuchs, C. Zorraquino, J. F. Zurcher, and Juan R. Mosig, "Oblique incidence design of meanderline polarizers for dielectric lens antennas", Progress in Electromagnetics Research, PIER 45, pp. 309-335, 2012. https://doi.org/10.2528/PIERB12080807
- R. -S. Chu, K. -M. Lee, "Analytical model of a multilayered meander-line polarizer plate with normal and oblique plane-wave incidence", IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., vol. AP-35, no. 6, pp. 625-661, Jun. 1987.
- M. A. Joyal, J. J. Laurin, "Design of thin circular polarizers", IEEE Int. Symp. Antennas Propag., Spokane, WA, Jul. 2011.
- B. A. Munk, Finite Antenna Arrays and FSS, John Wiley and Sons, pp. 306-310, 2003.
- Walter Barry, "A broad-band, automated, stripline technique for the simultaneous measurement of complex permittivity and permeability", IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. MTT-34, pp. 80-84, Jan. 1986.
- Dean A. Frickey, "Conversions between S, Z, Y, h, ABCD and T parameters which are valid for complex source and load impedances", IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 42, no. 2, Feb. 1994.
- C. A. Balanis, Antenna Theory, 2nd Edition, John Wiley and Sons, NY., pp. 67-68, 1997.
- C. Terret, J. R. Level, and K. Mahdjoubi, "Susceptance computation of a meander-line polarizer layer", IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., vol. AP-32, p. 1007-1011, Sep. 1984.
- R. -S. Chu, K. -M. Lee, "Correction to analytical model of a multilayered meander-line polarizer plate with normal and oblique plane-wave incidence", IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., vol. AP-36, no. 7, pp. 1041, Jul. 1988.
- N. Gagnon, J. Shaker, L. Roy, A. Petosa, and P. Berini, "Low-cost free-space measurement of dielectirc constant at Ka band", IEE Proc.-Microw. Antennas Propag., vol. 151, no. 3, pp. 271-276, Jun. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-map:20040264