- Volume 26 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Two Noise Parameter Measurement Methods Using Spectrum Analyzer and Comparison
스펙트럼 분석기를 이용한 2가지 잡음 파라미터 측정방법과 비교
- Received : 2015.08.31
- Accepted : 2015.09.21
- Published : 2015.12.31
In this paper, we propose two noise parameter measurement methods using spectrum analyzer. First method, we measure a noise correlation matrix using the 6-port network, and we calculate noise parameters using measured a noise correlation matrix. Second method, we directly measure noise figures of the DUT for source impedance changes, and then noise parameters are extracted from the measured noise figures. In order to measure a noise figure, we present a method of measuring a noise figure of the DUT that have arbitrary source impedances using spectrum analyzer and a method of eliminating a noise effect of a impedance tuner. Finally, the noise parameters of a passive and active DUT using proposed two methods are compared. The comparison shows that the two results obtained from for the two methods give almost identical noise parameters. The noise parameters measured by 6-port network accurately predict measured noise figures of the DUT for source impedance changes, and noise parameters measured by 6-port network is verified from the comparison.
Spectrum Analyzer;6-Port Network;Noise Figure;Impedance Tuner
- IRE Subcommittee on Noise, "IRE standards on methods of measuring noise in linear two ports 1959", Proc. IRE, vol. 48, pp. 60-68, Jan. 1960. https://doi.org/10.1109/JRPROC.1960.287380
- R. Q. Lane, "The determination of device noise parameter", Proc. IEEE, vol. 57, pp. 1461-1462, 1969. https://doi.org/10.1109/PROC.1969.7311
- M. S. Gupta, "Determination of the noise parameters of a linear 2-port", Electron. Lett., vol. 6, no. 17, pp. 543-544, Aug. 1970. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:19700377
- A. -R. Ahmed, K. -W. Yeom, "An extraction of two-port noise parameters from measured noise powers using an extended six-port network", IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., vol. 62, no. 10, pp. 2423-2434, Oct. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2014.2345693
- 염경환, 압둘-라흐만, "6-포트 회로망을 이용한 잡음 파라미터 측정", 한국전자파학회논문지, 26(2), pp. 119-126, 2015년 2월.
- 이동현, 압둘-라흐만, 이성우, 염경환, "8-포트 회로망을 이용한 온-웨이퍼형 DUT의 잡음 파라미터 측정", 한국전자파학회논문지, 25(8), pp. 808-820, 2014년 8월.
- Keysight Technologies, Noise Figure Measurement Accuracy-The Y-Factor Method, Application Note, [Available on line] http://www.keysight.com/
- Keysight Technologies, PSA Series Spectrum Analyzers, Data Sheet, [Available on line] http://www.keysight.com/
- S. W. Wedge, "Computer-aided design of low noise microwave circuits", Ph.D. Dissertation, California Institute of Technology, 1991.
- S. W. Wedge, D. B. Rutledge, "Wave techniques for noise modeling and measurement", IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech. vol. 40, no. 11, Nov. 1992.
- K. -W. Yeom, Microwwave Circuit Design A Practical Approach using ADS, Prentice Hall, 2015.
Supported by : 충남대학교