- Volume 15 Issue 4
An electromagnetic band gap (EBG) metamaterial construction is presented. A construction of a multipath mitigating ground plane, based on the EBG metamaterial is described. A method of the ground plane application and installation, which provides the multipath mitigating without spoiling antenna element phase center stability, is suggested and explained. A designed construction of GNSS antenna module, which contains the multipath mitigating ground plane, made from the presented EBG metamaterial and installed in the described way is shown and parameters of the antenna module are provided.
- E. D. Kaplan and C. Hegarty, Understanding GPS: Principals and Applications (2nd ed.). Boston, MA: Artech house, 2006.
- J. M. Tranquilla, J. P. Carr, and H. M. Al-Rizzo. "Analysis of a choke ring groundplane for multipath control in global positioning system (GPS) applications," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagations, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 905-911, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/8.299591
- F. Scire-Scappuzzo and S. N. Makarov, "A low-multipath wideband GPS antenna with cutoff or non-cutoff corrugated ground plane," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagations, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 33-46, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2008.2009655
- V. Filippov, D. Tatarnicov, J. Ashjaee, A. Astakhov, and I. Sutiagin, "The first dual-depth dual-frequency choke ring," in Proceedings of the 11th International Technical Meeting of the Satellite Division of The Institute of Navigation (ION GPS 19098), Nashville, TN, 1998, pp. 1035-1040.
- Y. Lee, S. Ganguly, and R. Mittra, "Tri-band (L1, L2, L5) GPS antenna with reduced backlobes," in Proceedings of 28th General Assembly Internatinal Union of Radio Science (URSIGA), New Delhi, India, 2005.
- D. Sievenpiper, L. Zhang, R. F. J. Broas, N. G. Alexopolous, and E. Yablonovich, "High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 47, no. 11, pp. 2059-2074, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/22.798001
- J. L. Volakis, Antenna Engineering Handbook (4th ed.). New York, NY: McGrow-Hill, 2007.
- J. Tak, Y. Lee, and J. Choi, "Design of a metamaterial absorber for ISM applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 1-7, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2013.13.1.1
- S. Kahng, "Study of wave absorbtion 1D-/2D-periodic EBG structures and/or metamaterial layered media as frequensy selective surfaces," Journal of the Korean Institute of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 46-52, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2009.9.1.046
- G. Ruvio, M. J. Amman, and X. Bao, "Radial EBG cell layout for GPS patch antennas," Electronics Letters, vol. 45, no. 13, pp. 663-664, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2009.1145
- K. Klionovski, "Semi-transparent ground plane with an inductive impedance," Antennas, vol. 2012, no. 1, pp. 27-34, 2012.
- W. E. Mckinzie III, R. Hurtado, and W. Klimczak, "Artificial magnetic conductor technology reduces size and weight for precision GPS antennas," in Proceedings of the 2002 National Technical Meeting of The Institute of Navigation, San Diego, CA, 2002, pp. 448-459.
- R. Baggen, M. Martinez-Vazquez, J. Leiss, S. Holzwarth, L. S. Drioli, and P. de Maagt, "Low profile GALILEO antenna using EBG technology," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 667-674, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2008.916927
- C. Caloz and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Materials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons, 2006.
- A. Foroozesh and L. Shafai, "Investigation into the application of artificial magnetic conductors to bandwidth broadening, gain enhancement and beam shaping of low profile and conventional monopole antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 4-20, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2010.2090458
- S. Boyko, A. Yelizarov, E. Zakirova, and A. Kukharenko, "Investigations of low-size decoupling UHF metamaterial filter," in Proceedings of APEP 2014, Saratov, Russia, 2014, pp. 218-224.
- A. Kukharenko, "Method of metamaterial bandwidth extension," in Proceedings of the 2015 International Workshop on Antenna Technology, 2015, pp. 182-185.
- N. Engheta and R. W. Ziolkowsky, Metamaterials: Phisics and Engineering Exploration. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons, 2006 .
- V. G. Veselago, "An electrodinamic of materials with simultaneously negative values of permittivity and permeability," Phisical Science Succsess, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 517-539, 1967.
- A. B. Numan and M. S. Sharawi, "Extrection of material parameters of metamaterials using a full-wave simulator," IEEE Antenna and Propagations Magazine, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 202-211, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/MAP.2013.6735515
- S. Gleason and D. Gebre-Egziabher, GNSS Applications and Methods. Boston, MA: Artech House, 2009.
- Circularly polarized CHANEL-logo antenna for GNSS applications vol.31, pp.14, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/09205071.2017.1349000
- Left-handed metamaterial using Z-shaped SRR for multiband application by azimuthal angular rotations vol.4, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1088/2053-1591/aa6a7e
- Design of PIFA With Metamaterials for Body-SAR Reduction in Wearable Applications vol.59, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1109/TEMC.2016.2593493
- A Stretchable Electromagnetic Absorber Fabricated Using Screen Printing Technology vol.17, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/s17051175