- Volume 15 Issue 4
This paper introduces new wideband antenna-filter-antenna (AFA) uniform arrays that can be utilized as frequency selective surfaces (FSS) with low loss and sharp roll-off response, which are highly desirable characteristics for millimeter wave applications. The design adopts a simple 3-layer single polarization structure consisting of two patch antennas and a resonator. Both simulations and measurements are used to characterize the performances of the proposed design. Overall results show 18.5% 10-dB bandwidth. For the targeted band the insertion loss is less than 0.2 dB. Possible applications include quasi-optical amps, grid mixers and radomes for aircraft radar antennas.
Antenna-Filter-Antenna;Bandpass Filter Antenna;Frequency-Selective-Surfaces;Gaussian Optics Measurement System
- H. Kaouach, L. Dussopt, R. Sauleau, and T. Koleck, "Design and demonstration of an X-band transmit-array," in Proceedings of 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), Berlin, Germany, 2009, pp. 1191-1195.
- H. Kaouach, L. Dussopt, J. Lantéri, T. Koleck, and R. Sauleau, "Wideband low-loss linear and circular polarization transmit-arrays in V-band," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 59, no. 7, pp. 2513-2523, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2011.2152331
- R. M. S. Cruz, A. G. Assuncao, and P. H. F. da Silva, "A new FSS design proposal for UWB applications," in Proceedings of 2010 International Workshop on Antenna Technology (iWAT), Lisbon, Portugal, 2010, pp. 1-4.
- H. Kaouach, L. Dussopt, R. Sauleau, and T. Koleck, "Design and demonstration of 1-bit and 2-bits transmitarray at X-band frequencies," in Proceedings of 39th European Microwave Conference (EuMC), Rome, Italy, 2009, pp. 918-921.
- M. P. DeLisio and R. A. York, "Quasi-optical and spatial power combining," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 929-936, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/22.989975
- B. A. Munk, Frequency Selective Surfaces. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons, 2000.
- T. K. Wu, Frequency Selectives Surfaces and Grid Arrays. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons, 1995.
- A. Abbaspour-Tamijani, K. Sarabandi, and G. M. Rebeiz, "Antenna-filter-antenna arrays as a class of bandpass frequency-selective surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 52, no. 8, pp. 1781-1789, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2004.831572
- C. C. Cheng and A. Abbaspour-Tamijani, "Study of 2-bit antenna-filter-antenna elements for reconfigurable millimeter-wave lens arrays," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 54, no. 12, pp. 4498-4506, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2006.885993
- S. Iyer, C. C. Cheng, C. Kim, and A. Abbaspour-Tamijani, "Compact Gaussian beam system for S-parameter characterization of planar structures at millimeter-wave frequencies," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 59, no. 9, pp. 2437-2444, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2009.2036478
- Y. Li, L. Li, Y. Zhang, and C. Zhao, "Design and synthesis of multilayer frequency selective surface based on antenna-filter-antenna using Minkowski fractal structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 133-141, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2014.2367523
- L. Boccia, I. Russo, G. Amendola, and G. Di Massa, "Multilayer antenna-filter antenna for beam-steering transmitarray applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 60, no. 7, pp. 2287-2300, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2012.2195673
- C. J. Larson, "Modified center layer metallic bipolar radome design," Electro Science Lab., Ohio State Univ, Columbus, OH, Tech. Rep. ASAL-TR-78-28, 1978.
- R. Pous and D. M. Pozar, "A frequency-selective surface using aperture couples microtrip patches," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 39, no 12, pp. 1763-1769, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/8.121598
- R. Garg, P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook. Boston, MA: Artech House, 2001.
- G. L. Matthaei, L. Young, and E. M. T. Jones, Microwave Filters, Impedance-Matching Networks and Coupling Structures. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 1964.
- R. S. Elliott, Antenna Theory and Design (revised ed.). New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons, 2003.
- B. C. Deckman, "Active quasi-optics and measurements," Ph.D. dissertation, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA, 2000.
- M. A. Ali, S. C. Ortiz, T. Ivanov, and A. Mortazawi, "Analysis and measurement of hard-horn feeds for the excitation of quasi-optical amplifiers," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 479-487, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/22.754882
- S. C. Ortiz, J. Hubert, L. Mirth, E. Schlecht, and A. Mortazawi, "A high-power Ka-band quasi-optical amplifier array," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 487-494, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/22.982228
- A. Abbaspour-Tamijani, "Novel components for integrated millimeter-wave front-ends," Ph.D. dissertation, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2004.
- G. F. Engen and C. A. Hoer, "Thru-reflect-line: an improved technique for calibrating the dual six-port automatic network analyzer," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 987-993, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.1979.1129778
Supported by : Umm Al-Qura University