- Volume 15 Issue 4
A novel body-worn spiral monopole antenna is presented. The antenna consists of a ground plane and a spiral monopole. The antenna was designed for Ear-to-Ear (E2E) communication between In-the-Ear (ITE) hearing instruments at 2.45 GHz and has been simulated, prototyped, and measured. The antenna yielded a measured and simulated E2E path gain at 2.45 GHz of -82.1 dB and -85.9 dB, respectively. The radiation pattern of the antenna when mounted in the ear is presented and discussed.
Body-Centric Communication;Creeping Waves;In-the-Ear Hearing Instruments Antenna;On-Body Path Gain;WBAN
- S. H. Kvist, S. Ozden, J. Thaysen, and K. B. Jakobsen, "Improvement of the ear-to-ear path gain at 2.45 GHz using parasitic antenna element," in Proceedings of 6th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), Prague, Czech Republic, 2012, pp. 944-947.
- R. Chandra and A. J. Johansson, "Miniaturized antennas for link between binaural hearing aids," in Proceedings of 2010 Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC'10), Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2010, pp. 688-691.
- L. Huitema, S. Sufyar, C. Delaveaud, and R. D'Errico, "Miniature antenna effect on the ear-to-ear radio channel characteristics," in Proceedings of the 6th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, (EuCAP), Prague, Czech Republic, 2012, pp. 3402-3406.
- N. P. I. Kammersgaard, S. H. Kvist, J. Thaysen, and K. B. Jakobsen, "In-the-ear spiral monopole antenna for hearing instruments," Electronics Letters, vol. 50, no. 21, pp. 1509-1511, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2014.2874
- N. P. I. Kammersgaard, S. H. Kvist, J. Thaysen, and K. B. Jakobsen, "Body-worn spiral monopole antenna for bodycentric communications," in Proceedings of 2015 International Workshop on Antenna Technology (iWAT2015), Seoul, Korea, 2015.
- S. Gabriel, R. W. Lau, and C. Gabriel, "The dielectric properties of biological tissues: III. Parametric models for the dielectric spectrum of tissues," Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 2271-2293, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/41/11/003
- J. Ryckaert, P. De Doncker, R. Meys, A. de Le Hoye, and S. Donnay, "Channel model for wireless communication around human body," Electronics Letters, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 543-544, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:20040386
- R. Chandra and A. J. Johansson, "A link loss model for the on-body propagation channel for binaural hearing aids," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 61, no. 12, pp. 6180-6190, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2013.2283270
- S. H. Kvist, J. Thaysen, and K. B. Jakobsen, "Ear-to-ear on-body channel model for hearing aid applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 344-352, 2015.
- P. S. Hall, Y. Hao, Y. I. Nechayev, A. Alomalny, C. C. Constantinou, C. Parini, et al., "Antennas and propagation for on-body communication systems," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 41-58, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/MAP.2007.4293935
- S. H. Kvist, J. Thaysen, and K. B. Jakobsen, "Polarization of unbalanced antennas for ear-to-ear on-body communications at 2.45 GHz," in Proceedings of 2011 Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference (LAPC), Loughborough, UK, 2011, pp. 1-4.
- N. P. I. Kammersgaard, S. H. Kvist, J. Thaysen, and K. B. Jakobsen, "Pinna model for hearing instrument applications," in Proceedings of 2014 Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference (LAPC), Loughborough, UK, 2014, pp. 141-143.