- Volume 15 Issue 4
In this paper, a miniaturized radio frequency choke (RFC) using modified stubs is proposed to improve isolation characteristics in a multiple-input-multiple-output (MIMO) antenna system. The proposed RFC, based on the LC resonance, is designed to suppress the leakage current that leads to the degradation of antenna diversity performances in the MIMO antenna configuration. The proposed RFC is composed of two open stubs that are implemented on the top of the ground plane and miniaturized by adding a slit structure on the ground plane. The MIMO antennas are also designed to verify isolation performance in the LTE 2300 band (2,300-2,400 MHz). The MIMO antennas perform well with low reflection coefficient characteristics and high isolation characteristics in the whole LTE 2300 band. To evaluate the isolation in the MIMO system, the envelope correlation coefficient (ECC) is calculated, and the value is less than 0.08. The achieved ECC is regarded as a reasonable result for improving isolation performance in the frequency range of 2,300-2,400 MHz; also, radiation patterns of antenna elements are maintained regardless of the presence of RFC.
Isolation Technique;MIMO System;Radio Frequency Choke (RFC)
- A. I. Najam, Y. Duroc, and S. Tedjni, "UWB-MIMO antenna with novel stub structure," Progress in Electromagnetics Research C, vol. 19, pp. 245-257, 2011. https://doi.org/10.2528/PIERC10121101
- Z. Li, Z. Du, and K. Gong, "A dual-slot diversity antenna with isolation enhancement using parasitic elements for mobile handsets," in Proceedings of Asia Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), Singapore, 2009, pp. 1821-1824.
- A. Toktas and A. Akdagli, "Wideband MIMO antenna with enhanced isolation for LTE, WiMAX and WLAN mobile handsets," IEEE Electronics Letters, vol. 50, no. 10, pp. 723-724, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2014.0686
- F. Yang and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structures: a low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 51, no. 10, pp. 2936-2946, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2003.817983
- D. Ahn, J. S. Park, C. S. Kim, J. Kim, Y. Quan, and T. Itoh, "A design of the low-pass filter using the novel microstrip defected ground structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Technology, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 86-93, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/22.899965
- P. Hallbjorner, "The significance of radiation efficiencies when using S-parameters to calculate the received signal correlation from two antennas," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 4, pp. 97-99, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2005.845913
- S. Blanch, J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representtation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electronics Letter, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 705-707, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:20030495
- Broadband Printed-Dipole Antenna and Its Arrays for 5G Applications vol.16, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2015.15.4.219
연구 과제 주관 기관 : LG Electronics