- Volume 15 Issue 4
This work describes the development of a D-band (110-170 GHz) signal source based on a SiGe BiCMOS technology. This D-band signal source consists of a V-band (50-75 GHz) oscillator, a V-band amplifier, and a D-band frequency doubler. The V-band signal from the oscillator is amplified for power boost, and then the frequency is doubled for D-band signal generation. The V-band oscillator showed an output power of 2.7 dBm at 67.3 GHz. Including a buffer stage, it had a DC power consumption of 145 mW. The peak gain of the V-band amplifier was 10.9 dB, which was achieved at 64.0 GHz and consumed 110 mW of DC power. The active frequency doubler consumed 60 mW for D-band signal generation. The integrated D-band source exhibited a measured output oscillation frequency of 133.2 GHz with an output power of 3.1 dBm and a phase noise of -107.2 dBc/Hz at 10 MHz offset. The chip size is
Amplifier;D-Band;Frequency Doubler;Oscillator;Signal Source
- K. Okada, R. Minami, Y. Tsukui, S. Kawai, Y. Seo, S. Sato, et al., "A 64-QAM 60GHz CMOS transceiver with 4-channel bonding," in Proceedings of 2014 IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference, San Francisco, CA, 2014, pp. 346-347.
- B. Cetinoneri, Y. A. Atesal, A. Fung, and G. M. Rebeiz, "W-band amplifiers with 6-dB noise figure and milliwatt-level 170-200-GHz doublers in 45-nm CMOS," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 692-701, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2011.2165964
- D. Huang, T. R. LaRocca, L. Samoska, A. Fung, and M. C. F. Chang, "324 GHz CMOS frequency generator using linear superposition technique," in Proceedings of 2008 IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference, San Francisco, CA, 2008, pp. 476-477.
- E. Seok, C. Cao, D. Shim, D. J. Arenas, D. B. Tanner, C. M. Hung, et al., "A 410GHz CMOS push-push oscillator with an on-chip patch antenna," in Proceedings of 2008 IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference, San Francisco, CA, 2008, pp. 472-473.
- T. Mitsunaka, K. Iizuka, and M. Fujishima, "37-mW CMOS voltage-controlled oscillators and dividers for 134-GHz phase-locked loop synthesizer," in Proceedings of 2014 9th European Microwave Integrated Circuit Conference (Eu-MIC), Rome, Italy, 2014, pp. 293-296.
- J. Yun, D. Yoon, S. Jung, M. Kaynak, B. Tillack, and J. S. Rieh, "Two 320 GHz signal sources based on SiGe HBT technology," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 178-180, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2015.2391011
- J. Yun, N. Kim, D. Yoon, H. Kim, S. Jeon, and J. S. Rieh, "A 248-262 GHz InP HBT VCO with interesting tuning behavior," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 560-562, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2014.2324753
- N. Kim, K. Kim, and J. S. Rieh, "A triple-push voltage controlled oscillator in 0.13-mm RFCMOS technology operating near 177 GHz," IEICE Transactions on Electronics, vol. 97C, no. 5, pp. 444-447, 2014.
- Y. S. J. Shiao, G. W. Huang, C. W. Chuang, H. H. Hsieh, C. P Jou, and F. L. Hsueh, "A 100-GHz varactorless CMOS VCO using source degeneration," in Proceedings 2012 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT), Montreal, Canada, 2012, pp. 1-3.
- A. Balteanu, I. Sarkas, V. Adinolfi, E. Dacquay, A. Tomkins, D. Celi, et al., "Characterization of a 400-GHz SiGe HBT technology for low-power D-band transceiver applications," in Proceedings 2012 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT), Montreal, Canada, 2012, pp. 1-3.
- S. P. Voinigescu, E. Dacquay, V. Adinolfi, I. Sarkas, A. Balteanu, A. Tomkins, et al., "Characterization and modeling of an SiGe HBT technology for transceiver applications in the 100-300-GHz range," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 60, no. 12, pp. 4024-4034, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2012.2224368
- M. Adnan and E. Afshari, "A 105-GHz VCO with 9.5% tuning range and 2.8-mW peak output power in a 65-nm bulk CMOS process," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 753-762, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2014.2309940
- W. Z. Chen, T. Y. Lu, Y. T. Wang, J. T. Jian, Y. H. Yang, and K. T. Chang, "A 160-GHz frequency-translation phase-locked loop with RSSI assisted frequency acquisition," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 1648-1655, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2013.2295016
- S. Zeinolabedinzadeh, P. Song, M. Kaynak, M. Kamarei, B. Tillack, and J. D. Cressler, "Low phase noise and high output power 367 GHz and 154 GHz signal sources in 130 nm SiGe HBT technology," in Proceedings of 2014 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium (IMS), Tampa, FL, 2014, pp. 1-4.
- W. Steyaert and P. Reynaert, "A 0.54 THz signal generator in 40 nm bulk CMOS with 22 GHz tuning range and integrated planar antenna," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 1617-1626, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSSC.2014.2319251
- S. P. Voinigescu, A. Tomkins, E. Dacquay, P. Chevalier, J. Hasch, A. Chantre, et al., "A study of SiGe HBT signal sources in the 220-330-GHz range," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 48, no. 9, pp. 2011-2021, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSSC.2013.2265494
- P. Y. Chiang, O. Momeni, and P. Heydari, "A 200-GHz inductively tuned VCO with-7-dBm output power in 130-nm SiGe BiCMOS," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 61, no. 10, pp. 3666-3673, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2013.2279779
- A CMOS 180-GHz Signal Source with an Integrated Frequency Doubler vol.16, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2016.16.4.229
Supported by : National Research Foundation