- Volume 15 Issue 4
This paper presents an experimental measurement system for 3-6 GHz microwave tomography (MT) of the breast. The measurement system is constructed as a minimal test bed to verify key components such as the sensing antennas, radio frequency (RF) transceiver, sensing mechanism, and image reconstruction method for our advanced MT system detecting breast cancer at an early stage. The test bed has eight RF channels operating at 3 to 6 GHz for high spatial resolution and a two-axis scanning mechanism for three-dimensional measurement. The measurement results from the test bed are shown and discussed.
Breast Cancer;Cancer Detection;Electromagnetic Scattering;Microwave Measurement;Microwave Tomography
- American Cancer Society, Cancer Facts & Figures 2013. Atlanta, GA: American Cancer Society, 2013.
- M. Lazebnik, L. McCartney, D. Popovic, C. B. Watkins, M. J. Lindstrom, J. Harter, et al., "A large-scale study of the ultrawideband microwave dielectric properties of normal breast tissue obtained from reduction surgeries," Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 52, no. 10, pp. 2637-2656, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/52/10/001
- M. Lazebnik, D. Popovic, L. McCartney, C. B. Watkins, M. J. Lindstrom, J. Harter, et al., "A large-scale study of the ultrawideband microwave dielectric properties of normal, benign and malignant breast tissues obtained from cancer surgeries," Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 52, no. 20, pp. 6093-6115, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/52/20/002
- J. C. Bolomey and L. Jofre, "Three decades of active microwave imaging achievements, difficulties and future challenges," in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Wireless Information Technology and Systems (ICWITS), Honolulu, HI, 2010, pp. 1-4.
- N. Nikolova, "Microwave imaging for breast cancer," IEEE Microwave Magazine, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 78-94, 2011.
- E. C. Fear, X. Li, S. C. Hagness, and M. Stuchly, "Confocal microwave imaging for breast cancer detection: localization of tumors in three dimensions," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 49, no. 8, pp. 812-822, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TBME.2002.800759
- X. Li, S. K. Davis, S. C. Hagness, D. W. Van der Weide, and B. D. Van Veen, B. D. "Microwave imaging via space-time beamforming: experimental investigation of tumor detection in multilayer breast phantoms," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 52, no. 8, pp. 1856-1865, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2004.832686
- M. Klemm, I. J. Craddock, J. Leendertz, A. Preece, and R. Benjamin, "Radar-based breast cancer detection using a hemispherical antenna array: experimental results," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 1692-1704, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2009.2019856
- M. Klemm, I. J. Craddock, J. A. Leendertz, A. Preece, D. R. Gibbins, M. Shere, et al., "Clinical trials of a UWB imaging radar for breast cancer," in Proceedings of the 4th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), Barcelona, Spain, 2010, pp. 1-4.
- P. M. Meaney, K. D. Paulsen, A. Hartov, and R. K. Crane, "An active microwave imaging system for reconstruction of 2-D electrical property distributions," IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 42, no. 10, pp. 1017-1026, 1995.
- P. M. Meaney, K. D. Paulsen, B. W. Pogue, and M. Miga, "Microwave image reconstruction utilizing log-magnitude and unwrapped phase to improve high-contrast object recovery," IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 104-116, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/42.913177
- P. M. Meaney, M. W. Fanning, T. Raynolds, C. J. Fox, Q. Fang, C. A. Kogel, et al., "Initial clinical experience with microwave breast imaging in women with normal mammography," Academic Radiology, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 207-218, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2006.10.016
- S. H. Son, N. Simonov, H. J. Kim, J. M. Lee, and S. I. Jeon, "Preclinical prototype development of a microwave tomography system for breast cancer detection," ETRI Journal, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 901-910, 2010. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.10.0109.0626
- S. I. Jeon, S. H. Son, H. J. Kim, J. M. Lee, and N. Simonov, "A dog's breast cancer screening trial by using UHF band microwave tomography system," in Proceedings of the International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), Jeju Island, Korea, 2011, pp. 1-4.
- N. Simonov, S. I. Jeon, S. H., Son, J. M. Lee, and H. J. Kim, "3D microwave breast imaging based on multistatic radar concept system," Journal of the Korean Institute of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 107-114, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2012.12.1.107
- K. J. Lee, J. Y. Kim, S. H. Son, J. Lee, and S. Jeon, "Sensing probe for 3-6 GHz microwave imaging systems," Electronics Letters, vol. 50, no. 15, pp. 1049-1050, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2014.1923
- M. Born and E. Wolf, Principles of Optics. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press, 1997.
- Interpretation of MUSIC for Location Detecting of Small Inhomogeneities Surrounded by Random Scatterers vol.2016, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2015.15.4.250
- Performance analysis of multi-frequency topological derivative for reconstructing perfectly conducting cracks vol.335, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2015.15.4.250
- Certain properties of a MUSIC-type imaging functional in inverse scattering from an open sound-hard arc vol.74, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2015.15.4.250
- Detection of small electromagnetic inhomogeneities with inaccurate frequency vol.68, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2015.15.4.250
- The Effect of Hardware-Computed Travel Time on Localization Accuracy in the Inversion of Experimental (Acoustic) Waveform Data vol.3, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2015.15.4.250
연구 과제번호 : Development of Precision MT System
연구 과제 주관 기관 : MSIP/IITP