- Volume 15 Issue 4
A de-embedding method for multiport networks, especially for coupled odd interconnection lines, is presented in this paper. This method does not require a conversion from S-parameters to T-parameters, which is widely used in the de-embedding technique of multiport networks based on cascaded simple two-port relations, whereas here, we apply an operation to the S-matrix to generate all the uncoupled and coupled coefficients. The derivation of the method is based on the relations of incident and reflected waves between the input of the entire network and the input of the intrinsic device under test (DUT). The characteristics of the intrinsic DUT are eventually achieved and expressed as a function of the S-parameters of the whole network, which are easily obtained. The derived coefficients constitute ABCD-parameters for a convenient implementation of the method into cascaded multiport networks. A validation was performed based on a spice-like circuit simulator, and this verified the proposed method for both uncoupled and coupled cases.
Coupled Lines;De-Embedding Method;Multiport Network;Odd Number Ports
- D. M. Pozar, Microwave Engineering (3rd ed.). New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
- R. A. Speciale, "Multiport network analyzers: meeting the design need," Microwave Systems News, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 67, 70, 72, 74-76, 80, 83-86, 1980.
- H. C. Lu and T. H. Chu, "Multiport scattering matrix measurement using a reduced-port network analyzer," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 1525-1533, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2003.810134
- L. Van Hauwermeiren, M. Botte, and D. De Zutter, "A new de-embedding technique for on-board structures applied to the bandwidth measurement of packages," IEEE Transactions on Components, Hybrids, and Manufacturing Technology, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 330-333, 1993.
- J. Frei, X. D. Cai, and S. Muller, "Multiport S-parameter and T-parameter conversion with symmetry extension," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 2493-2504, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2008.2005873
- B. Pu, T. Kim, S. Kim, J. H. Kim, S. Kim, and W. Nah, "Estimation of transferred power from a noise source to an IC with forwarded power characteristics," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 233-239, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2013.13.4.233
- M. Wojnowski, V. Issakov, G. Sommer, and R. Weigel, "Multimode TRL calibration technique for characterization of differential devices," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 60, no. 7, pp. 2220-2247, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2012.2193136
- M. H. Cho, G. W. Huang, L. K. Wu, C. S. Chiu, Y. H. Wang, K. M. Chen, et al., "A shield-based three-port de-embedding method for microwave on-wafer characterization of deep sub-micron silicon MOSFETs," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 53, no. 9, pp. 2926-2934, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2005.854245
- Inkjet-printed 3D Hilbert-curve fractal antennas for VHF band vol.59, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.30613
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)