- Volume 31 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Factors affecting the survival of implants: a long-term retrospective study
임플란트의 생존에 영향을 미치는 요인에 대한 장기간의 후향적 연구
- Song, Susanna (Department of Periodontology and Research Institute of Oral Sciences, Gangneung-Wonju National University College of Dentistry) ;
- Lee, Jae-Kwan (Department of Periodontology and Research Institute of Oral Sciences, Gangneung-Wonju National University College of Dentistry) ;
- Um, Heung-Sik (Department of Periodontology and Research Institute of Oral Sciences, Gangneung-Wonju National University College of Dentistry) ;
- Chang, Beom-Seok (Department of Periodontology and Research Institute of Oral Sciences, Gangneung-Wonju National University College of Dentistry)
- 송수산나 (강릉원주대학교 치과대학 치주과학교실) ;
- 이재관 (강릉원주대학교 치과대학 치주과학교실) ;
- 엄흥식 (강릉원주대학교 치과대학 치주과학교실) ;
- 장범석 (강릉원주대학교 치과대학 치주과학교실)
- Received : 2014.12.17
- Accepted : 2015.03.02
- Published : 2015.03.31
Purpose: The aim of the present study was to evaluate the long-term survival of implants retrospectively and determine the risk factors associated with implant failure. Materials and Methods: Of all implants that were placed at the Department of Periodontology of the Dental Hospital of Gangneung-Wonju National University from January 1998 to December 2012, 2265 implants that were followed up until June 2013 were included in this study. Data were collected from clinical and radiographic examinations from previous visits. The information gathered included gender, age, smoking status, implant diameter, implant length, surface of implant, location of implant within the dental arch, surgical techniques and existence of complications. Results: The survival rate before loading was 98.9%. The cumulative survival rate after 5 years of loading was 97.2%, and after 15 years of loading was 95.2%. In a simple logistic regression analysis, gender (P = 0.016), smoking status (P = 0.001), location of implant (P = 0.020) and existence of complications (P = 0.002) were statistically associated with implant failure and included in the multiple regression analysis. As a result of multiple logistic regression analysis, the variables statistically associated with implant failure (P < 0.05) were smoking status (P = 0.049) and existence of complications (P < 0.001). Conclusion: The cumulative survival rate of dental implants after 15 years of loading was 95.2% and that the variables statistically associated with implant failure were smoking status and existence of complications.
- Berglundh T, Persson L, Klinge B. A systematic review of the incidence of biological and technical complications in implant dentistry reported in prospective longitudinal studies of at least 5 years. J Clin Periodontol 2002;29:197-212. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-051X.29.s3.12.x
- Roos-Jansaker AM, Lindahl C, Renvert H, Renvert S. Nine- to fourteen-year follow-up of implant treatment. Part I: Implant loss and associations to various factors. J Clin Periodontol 2006;33:283-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2006.00907.x
- Moy PK, Medina D, Shetty V, Aghaloo TL. Dental implant failure rates and associated risk factors. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2005;20:569-77.
- Fugazotto PA. Success and failure rates of osseointegrated implants in function in regenerated bone for 6 to 51 months: a preliminary report. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 1997;12:17-24.
- Smith RA, Berger R, Dodson TB. Risk factors associated with dental implants in healthy and medically compromised patients. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 1992;7:367-72.
- Bain CA. Implant installation in the smoking patient. Periodontol 2000 2003;33:185-93. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0906-6713.2003.03315.x
- Strietzel FP, Reichart PA, Kale A, Kulkarni M, Wegner B, Kuchler I. Smoking interferes with the prognosis of dental implant treatment: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Clin Periodontol 2007;34:523-44. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2007.01083.x
- Karoussis IK, Salvi GE, Heitz-Mayfield LJ, Bragger U, Hammerle CH, Lang NP. Long-term implant prognosis in patients with and without a history of chronic periodontitis: a 10-year prospective cohort study of the ITI dental implant system. Clin Oral Implants Res 2003;14:329-39. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0501.000.00934.x
- Evian CI, Emling R, Rosenberg ES, Waasdorp JA, Halpern W, Shah S, Garcia M. Retrospective analysis of implant survival and the influence of periodontal disease and immediate placement on longterm results. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2004;19:393-8.
- Sbordone L, Barone A, Ciaglia RN, Ramaglia L, Iacono VJ. Longitudinal study of dental implants in a periodontally compromised population. J Periodontol 1999;70:1322-9. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19126.96.36.1992
- Nevins M. Will implants survive well in patients with a history of inflammatory periodontal disease? J Periodontol 2001;72:113-7. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2001.72.1.113
- Morand M, Irinakis T. The challenge of implant therapy in the posterior maxilla: providing a rationale for the use of short implants. J Oral Implantol 2007;33:257-66. https://doi.org/10.1563/1548-1336(2007)33[257:TCOITI]2.0.CO;2
- Chuang SK, Wei LJ, Douglass CW, Dodson TB. Risk factors for dental implant failure: a strategy for the analysis of clustered failure-time observations. J Dent Res 2002;81:572-7. https://doi.org/10.1177/154405910208100814
- Lang NP, Karring T, Meredith N. Group E summary. J Clin Periodontol 2002;29:232-4. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-051X.29.s3.20.x
- Simonis P, Dufour T, Tenenbaum H. Long-term implant survival and success: a 10-16-year followup of non-submerged dental implants. Clin Oral Implants Res 2010;21:772-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0501.2010.01912.x
- Bain CA, Moy PK. The association between the failure of dental implants and cigarette smoking. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 1993;8:609-15.
- Huynh-Ba G, Friedberg JR, Vogiatzi D, Ioannidou E. Implant failure predictors in the posterior maxilla: a retrospective study of 273 consecutive implants. J Periodontol 2008;79:2256-61. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2008.070602
- Zupnik J, Kim SW, Ravens D, Karimbux N, Guze K. Factors associated with dental implant survival: a 4-year retrospective analysis. J Periodontol 2011;82:1390-5. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2011.100685
- Shiau HJ, Reynolds MA. Sex differences in destructive periodontal disease: a systematic review. J Periodontol 2010;81:1379-89. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2010.100044
- Baelum V, Ellegaard B. Implant survival in periodontally compromised patients. J Periodontol 2004;75:1404-12. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2004.75.10.1404
- Ferreira SD, Silva GL, Cortelli JR, Costa JE, Costa FO. Prevalence and risk variables for peri-implant disease in Brazilian subjects. J Clin Periodontol 2006;33:929-35. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2006.01001.x
- Anitua E, Orive G, Aguirre JJ, Ardanza B, Andia I. 5-year clinical experience with BTI dental implants: risk factors for implant failure. J Clin Periodontol 2008;35:724-32. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2008.01248.x
- Scurria MS, Morgan ZV 4th, Guckes AD, Li S, Koch G. Prognostic variables associated with implant failure: a retrospective effectiveness study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 1998;13:400-6.
- Alsaadi G, Quirynen M, Michiles K, Teughels W, Komarek A, van Steenberghe D. Impact of local and systemic factors on the incidence of failures up to abutment connection with modified surface oral implants. J Clin Periodontol 2008;35:51-7.
- Rodrigo D, Aracil L, Martin C, Sanz M. Diagnosis of implant stability and its impact on implant survival: a prospective case series study. Clin Oral Implants Res 2010;21:255-61. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0501.2009.01820.x
- Quirynen M, Abarca M, Van Assche N, Nevins M, van Steenberghe D. Impact of supportive periodontal therapy and implant surface roughness on implant outcome in patients with a history of periodontitis. J Clin Periodontol 2007;34:805-15. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2007.01106.x
- Ong CT, Ivanovski S, Needleman IG, Retzepi M, Moles DR, Tonetti MS, Donos N. Systematic review of implant outcomes in treated periodontitis subjects. J Clin Periodontol 2008;35:438-62. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2008.01207.x