- Volume 18 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A new equivalent friction element for analysis of cable supported structures
- Yan, Renzhang (School of Civil Engineering, Tianjin University) ;
- Chen, Zhihua (School of Civil Engineering, Tianjin University) ;
- Wang, Xiaodun (School of Civil Engineering, Tianjin University) ;
- Liu, Hongbo (School of Civil Engineering, Tianjin University) ;
- Xiao, Xiao (School of Civil Engineering, Tianjin University)
- Received : 2014.02.26
- Accepted : 2014.10.10
- Published : 2015.04.25
An equivalent friction element is proposed to simulate the friction in cable-strut joints. Equivalent stiffness matrixes and load vectors of the friction element are derived and are unified into patterns for FEM by defining a virtual node specially to store internal forces. Three approaches are described to verify the rationality of the new equivalent friction element: applying the new element in a cable-roller model, and numerical solutions match well with experimental results; applying the element in a continuous sliding cable model, and theoretical values, numerical and experimental results are compared; and the last is applying it in truss string structures, whose results indicate that there would be a great error if the cable of cable supported structures is simulated with discontinuous cable model which is usually adopted in traditional finite element analysis, and that the prestress loss resulted from the friction in cable-strut joints would have adverse effect on the mechanical performance of cable supported structures.
- Aufaure, M. (2000), "A three-node cable element ensuring the continuity of the horizontal tension: a clamp-cable element", Comput. Struct., 74(2), 243-251. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(99)00015-2
- Chen, Z.H. (2013), Beam String Structure System, Science Press, Beijing, China.
- Chen, Z.H., Wu, Y.J., Yin, Y. and Shan, C. (2010), "Formulation and application of multi-node sliding cable element for the analysis of Suspen-Dome structures", Finite Elem. Anal. Des., 46(9), 743-750. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.finel.2010.04.003
- Cui, X.Q. and Guo, Y.L. (2004), "Influence of Gliding Cable Joint on Mechanical Behavior of Suspen-Dome Structures", Int. J. Space Struct., 19(3), 149-154. https://doi.org/10.1260/0266351042886658
- Cui, X.Q., Guo, Y.L. and Ye, K.M. (2004), "Application of gliding hoop cable joint in suspen-dome structures", J. Tongji Univ. (Natural Science), 32(10), 1300-1303.
- Katona, M.G. (1983), "A simple contact-friction interface element with applications to buried culverts", Int. J. Numer. Anal. Method. Geomech., 7(3), 371-384. https://doi.org/10.1002/nag.1610070308
- Lei, X.Y. (2001), "Contact friction analysis with a simple interface element", Comput. Method. Appl. Mech. Eng., 190(15), 1955-1965. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7825(00)00196-1
- Lei, X.Y., Swoboda, G. and Zenz,G. (1995), "Application of contact-friction interface element to tunnel excavation in faulted rock", Comput. Geotech., 17(3), 349-370. https://doi.org/10.1016/0266-352X(95)99217-F
- Li, J.J. and Chan, S.L. (2004), "An integrated analysis of membrane structures with flexible supporting frames", Finite Elem. Anal. Des., 40(5), 529-540. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-874X(03)00076-3
- Liu, H.B., Chen, Z.H. and Zhou, T. (2009), "Prestress loss induced by friction in suspendome construction", J. Tianjin Univ., 42(12), 1055-1060.
- Nie, J.G., Chen, B.L. and Xiao, J.C. (2003), "Nonlinear static analysis of continuous cables with sliding at the middle supporting", Chinese J. Computat. Mech., 20(3), 320-324.
- Tang, J.M. and Shen, Z.Y. (1999), "A nonlinear analysis with sliding cable elements for the cable structures", Chinese J. Computat. Mech., 16(2), 143-149.
- Tang, J.M., Dong, M. and Qian, R.J. (1997), "A finite element method with five-node isoparametric element for nonlinear analysis of tension structures", Chinese J. Computat. Mech., 14(1), 108-113.
- Thai, H.T. and Kim, S.E. (2011), "Nonlinear static and dynamic analysis of cable structures", Finite Elem. Anal. Des., 47(3), 237-246. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.finel.2010.10.005
- Wang, S., Zhang, G.J., Zhang, A.L., Ge, J.Q. and Qin, J. (2007a), "The prestress loss analysis of cable-strut joint of the badminton gymnasium for 2008 Olympic Games", Chinese J. Build. Struct., 28(6), 39-44.
- Wang, Y.Q., Wu, L.L., Shi, Y.J., Sun, F., Luo, K.Y. and Xu, Y. (2007b), "FEM analysis and experimental study on monolayer cable net for glass facades: static performance", Adv. Struct. Eng., 10(4), 371-382. https://doi.org/10.1260/136943307783239345
- Wang, S., Zhang, G.J., Ge, J.Q., Zhang, A.L. and Guan, Z.Z. (2008), "Influence of prestress loss on structural behavior of the badminton gymnasium for 2008 Olympic Games", Chinese J. Build. Struct., 28(6), 45-51.
- Wei, J.D. (2004), "Sliding cable element for the analysis of cable structures", Eng. Mech., 21(6), 172-176.
- Wei, J.D. (2006), "Friction gliding cable element in analysis of gliding cable structures", Eng. Mech., 23(9), 66-70.
- Wu, Y.J. (2010), Analysis of Sliding Cable Element and Node, Ph.D. Thesis, Tianjin University, Tianjin, China.
- Zhang, Z.H. and Dong, S.L. (2001), "Slippage analysis of continuous cable in tension structures", Spatial Struct., 7(3), 26-31.
- Zhang, G.F., Dong, S.L., Zhuo, X., Guo, J.M. and Zhao, X. (2008), "Research on sliding cable in construction of suspend-dome structures", J. Zhejiang Univ. (Engineering Science), 42(6), 1051-1057.
- Zhou, B., Accorsi, M.L. and Leonard,J.W. (2004), "Finite element formulation for modeling sliding cable elements", Comput. Struct., 82(2), 271-280. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2003.08.006
- Zhu, M.L., Dong, S.L. and Yuan, X.F. (2013), "Failure analysis of a cable dome due to cable slack or rupture", Adv. Struct. Eng., 16(2), 259-271. https://doi.org/10.1260/1369-4318.104.22.1689
- Study on mechanical behaviors of cable-supported ribbed beam composite slab structure during construction phase vol.21, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.21.1.177
- A Novel Numerical Method for Considering Friction During Pre-stressing Construction of Cable-Supported Structures pp.2093-6311, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-018-0078-y