- Volume 3 Issue 4
In this paper, a compression to tensile load converter device was developed to determine the anisotropic tensile strength of concrete. The samples were made from a mixture of water, fine sand and cement, respectively. Concrete samples with a hole at its center was prepared and subjected to tensile loading using the compression to tensile load converter device. A hydraulic load cell applied compressive loading to converter device with a constant pressure of 0.02 MPa per second. Compressive loading was converted to tensile stress on the sample because of the overall test design. The samples have three different configurations related to loading axis; 0,
compression to tensile load converter device;CTT;anisotropic tensile strength of concrete
- Brady, B.H.G. and Brown E.T. (2006), Concrete Mechanics for Underground Mining, 3rd Edition, Chapman & Hall, London.
- BS1881-117 (1983), Testing Concrete - Method for determination of tensile splitting strength, British Standards Institute, London.
- BS1881-118 (1983), Testing Concrete - Method for determination of flexural strength, British Standards Institute, London, U.K.
- Calixto, J.M.F. (2002), "Experimental investigation of tensile behavior of high strength concrete", Mater. Res. J., 5(3), 295-303. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-14392002000300013
- Gerges, N.N., Issa, C.A. and Fawaz, S. (2015), "Effect of construction joints on the splitting tensile strength of concrete", Case Studies Constr. Mater., 3, 83-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cscm.2015.07.001
- Gomez, J.T., Shukla, A. and Sharma, A. (2001), "Static and dynamic behavior of concrete and granite in tension with damage", Theor. Appl. Fract. Mech., 36(1), 37-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-8442(01)00054-4
- Kim, J.J. and Reda Taha, M. (2014), "Experimental and numerical evaluation of direct tension test for cylindrical concrete specimens", Adv. Civil Eng., 2014, 8
- Larrard, F, Malier, Y. (1992), Engineering Properties of Very High Performance Concrete, Ed. Malier, Y., High Performance Concrete, From Material to Structure, London.
- Liu, X., Nie, Z., Wu, S. and Wang, C. (2015), "Self-monitoring application of conductive asphalt concrete under indirect tensile deformation", Case Studies Constr. Mater., 3, 70-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cscm.2015.07.002
- Van Mier, J.G.M. and Van Vliet, M.R.A. (2002), "Uniaxial tension test for the determination of fracture parameters of concrete: state of the art", Eng. Fract. Mech., 69(2), 235-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-7944(01)00087-X
- Mobasher, B., Bakhshi, M. and Barsby, C. (2014), "Backcalculation of residual tensile strength of regular and high performance fiber reinforced concrete from flexural tests", Constr. Build. Mater., 70, 243-253. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2014.07.037
- Swaddiwudhipong, S., Lu, H.R. and Wee, T.H. (2003), "Direct tension test", Cem. Concr. Res., 33, 2077-2084. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(03)00231-X
- Silva, R.V., De Brito, J. and Dhir, R.K. (2015), "Tensile strength behaviour of recycled aggregate concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 83, 108-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.03.034
- Tian, Y., Shi, S., Jia, K. and Hu, S. (2015), "Mechanical and dynamic properties of high strength concrete modified with lightweight aggregates presaturated polymer emulsion", Constr. Build. Mater., 93, 1151-1156. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.05.015
- Ibrahim, M.W., Hamzah, A.F., Jamaluddin, N., Ramadhansyah, P.J. and Fadzil, A.M. (2015), "Split tensile strength on self-compacting concrete containing coal bottom ash", Procedia-Social Behav. Sci., 195, 2280-2289. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.06.317
- Wawrzynek, P.A. and Ingraffea, A.R. (1987), "Interactive finite element analysis of fracture processes: an integrated approach", Theor. Appl. Fract. Mech., 8(2), 137-150. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-8442(87)90007-3
- Zain, M.F.M., Mahmud, H.B., Ilham, A. and Faizal, M. (2002), "Splitting tensile strength of high-performance concrete", Cement Concrete Res., 32, 1251-1257. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(02)00768-8
- Zheng, W., Kwan, A.K.H. and Lee, P.K.K. (2001), "Direct tension test of concrete", Mater. J., 98(1), 63-71.
- Zhou, F.P. (1988), Some aspects of tensile fracture behaviour and structural response of cementitious materials, Report TVBM 1008.
- Suggesting a new testing device for determination of tensile strength of concrete vol.60, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2016.60.6.939