- Volume 25 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Immune Responses of BALB/c Mice Administrated via Oral Route to a Combined Salmonella Typhimurium Ghost Vaccine
복합 살모넬라 타이피무리움 고스트 백신의 마우스 구강 투여에 의한 면역 응답
Kim, Pan Gil;Ha, Yeon Jo;Lee, Su Man;Kim, Sam Woong;Gal, Sang Wan
- Received : 2015.06.15
- Accepted : 2015.10.26
- Published : 2015.11.30
Salmonella Typhimurium (ST) JOL389 and χ3339 are strong virulent strains against mouse. ST χ8554 is derived by deletion of the asd gene from ST χ3339. Plasmid pMMP184 carrying a ghost cassette was transformed into ST χ8554, and ST χ8554 ghost cells were prepared and administrated via the oral route to BALB/c mice. Change in the amount of total IgG was not elicited to boosting of single ST χ8554 ghost cells, but the content was increased from 6 weeks after the 3rd administration. However, when the ST JOL389 ghost cells is administered together with ST χ8554 ghost cells, the content of total IgG was increased in 2 weeks post primary administration. It was found that the content of total IgG of the group mixed with ST JOL389 ghost cells showed an increased value of 8 times or more at 10 weeks when compared with the group of ST χ8554 ghost cells. The content of IgG1, IgG2a, and sIgA in both groups increased from 4 weeks postprimary administration. As a challenge test of virulent ST χ3339, χ8554 (pMMP184) and χ8554 (pMMP184)/JOL389 ghost cell groups showed protection of 50% or more when compared to the control group. These results suggest that the preparation of combined ghost cells from a strong virulent ST increases immunity more than a single strain.
BALB/c mouse;ghost vaccine;immune;protection;S. Typhimurium;virulence
- Bertani, G. 1951. Studies on lysogenesis. I. The mode of phage liberation by lysogenic Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 62, 293-300.
- Chaudhari, A. A., Jawale, C. V., Kim, S. W. and Lee, J. H. 2012. Construction of a Salmonella Gallinarum ghost as a novel inactivated vaccine candidate and its protective efficacy against fowl typhoid in chickens. Vet. Res. 43, 44-55. https://doi.org/10.1186/1297-9716-43-44
- Ha, Y. J., Kim, S. T., Kang. H. Y., Gal, S. W. and Kim, S. W. 2014b. The complex Salmonella typhimurium ghost cells play an additional role as an immune adjuvant. J. Life Sci. 24, 154-160. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2014.24.2.154
- Chaudhari, A. A. and Lee, J. H. 2013. Evaluation of the adjuvant effect of Salmonella-based Escherichia coli heat-labile toxin B subunits on the efficacy of a live Salmonella-delivered avian pathogenic Escherichia coli vaccine. Avian Pathol. 42, 365-372. https://doi.org/10.1080/03079457.2013.811466
- DeKruyff, R. H., Rizzo, L. V. and Umetsu, D. T. 1993. Induction of immunoglobulin synthesis by CD4+ T cell clones. Semin. Immunol. 5, 5421-5430.
- Gor, D. O., Rose, N. R. and Greenspan, N. S. 2003. Th1-Th2: a procrustean paradigm. Nat. Immunol. 4, 503-505.
- Ha, Y. J., Kim, T. W., Kim, S. T., Kang. H. Y., Gal, S. W. and Kim, S. W. 2014a. Ghost vaccine prepared from strong virulent Salmonella typhimurium does not improve immune responses of BALB/c mice. J. Life Sci. 24, 39-45. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2014.24.1.39
- Jalava, K., Hensel, A., Szostak, M., Resch, S. and Lubitz, W. 2002. Bacterial ghosts as vaccine candidates for veterinary applications. J. Control. Release 85, 17-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-3659(02)00267-5
- Jawale, C. V., Chaudhari, A. A., Jeon, B. W., Nandre, R. M. and Lee, J. H. 2012. Characterization of a novel inactivated Salmonella enterica serovar Enteritidis vaccine candidate generated using a modified cI857/λ PR/gene E expression system. Infect. Immun. 80, 1502-1509. https://doi.org/10.1128/IAI.06264-11
- Jechlinger, W., Haller, C., Resch, S., Hofmann, A., Szostak, M. P. and Lubitz, W. 2005. Comparative immunogenicity of the hepatitis B virus core 149 antigen displayed on the inner and outer membrane of bacterial ghosts. Vaccine 23, 3609-3617. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2004.11.078
- Jeon, B. W., Nandre, R. M. and Lee, J. H. 2013. Oral immunization with an attenuated Salmonella Gallinarum mutant as a fowl typhoid vaccine with a live adjuvant strain secreting the B subunit of Escherichia coli heat-labile enterotoxin. BMC Vet. Res. 6, 96-104.
- Kim, S. W., Kang, H. Y., Hur, J., Gal, S. W., Bang, W. Y., Cho, K. K., Kim, C. W., Bahk, J. D. and Lee, J. H. 2011. Construction of a conditional lethal Salmonella mutant via genetic recombination using the ara system and asd gene. J. Microbiol. Methods 87, 202-207. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mimet.2011.08.004
- Kim, S. W., Moon, K. H., Baik, H. S., Kang, H. Y., Kim, S. K., Bahk, J. D., Hur, J. and Lee, J. H. 2009. Changes of physiological and biochemical properties of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium by deletion of cpxR and lon genes using allelic exchange method. J. Microbiol. Methods 79, 314-320. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mimet.2009.09.025
- Kwon, S. R., Nam, Y. K., Kim, S. K. and Kim, K. H. 2006. Protection of tilapia (Oreochromis mosambicus) from edwardsiellosis by vaccination with Edwardsiella tarda ghosts. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 20, 621-626. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsi.2005.08.005
- Langemann, T., Koller, V. J., Muhammad, A., Kudela, P., Mayr, U. B. and Lubitz, W. 2010. The Bacterial Ghost platform system: production and applications. Bioeng. Bugs. 1, 326-336. https://doi.org/10.4161/bbug.1.5.12540
- Li, Y., Wang, S., Xin, W., Scarpellini, G., Shi, Z., Gunn, B., Roland, K. L. and Curtiss, R. 3rd. 2008. A sopB deletion mutation enhances the immunogenicity and protective efficacy of a heterologous antigen delivered by live attenuated Salmonella enterica vaccines. Infect. Immun. 76, 5238-5246. https://doi.org/10.1128/IAI.00720-08
- Mayr, U. B., Haller, C., Haidinger, W., Atrasheuskaya, A., Bukin, E., Lubitz, W. and Ignatyev, G. 2005. Bacterial ghosts as an oral vaccine: a single dose of Escherichia coli O157:H7 bacterial ghosts protects mice against lethal challenge. Infect. Immun. 73, 4810-4817. https://doi.org/10.1128/IAI.73.8.4810-4817.2005
- Nandre, R. M., Jawale, C. V. and Lee, J. H. 2013. Enhanced protective immune responses against Salmonella Enteritidis infection by Salmonella secreting an Escherichia coli heat-labile enterotoxin B subunit protein. Comp. Immunol. Microbiol. Infect. Dis. 36, 537-548. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cimid.2013.06.002
- Riedmann, E. M., Kyd, J. M., Cripps, A. W. and Lubitz, W. 2007. Bacterial ghosts as adjuvant particles. Expert. Rev. Vaccines 6, 241-253. https://doi.org/10.1586/147605184.108.40.206
- Sambrook, J., Fritsch, E. F. and Maniatis, T. 1989. Molecular Cloning, A Laboratory Manual. 2nd Ed., Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NY.
- Tabrizi, C. A., Walcher, P., Mayr, U. B., Stiedl, T., Binder, M., McGrath, J. and Lubitz, W. 2004. Bacterial ghosts-biological particles as delivery systems for antigens, nucleic acids and drugs. Curr. Opin. Biotechnol. 15, 530-537. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.copbio.2004.10.004