- Volume 25 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Changes in Phenolic Composition, Antioxidant and Antidiabetic Properties of Jeju Citrus sudachi as Influenced by Maturity
수확시기별 제주산 영귤의 항산화 및 항당뇨 활성 비교
Lee, Ji Eun;Kim, Ji Hye;Kim, Min Young
- Received : 2015.08.24
- Accepted : 2015.11.17
- Published : 2015.11.30
The effects of fruit maturation on changes in the total phenolics, flavonoids, and carotenoids of methanolic extracts of Citrus sudachi, in addition to its antioxidant and antidiabetic activities, were determined. Generally, the concentration of these chemical constituents increased as C. sudachi reached maturity. C. sudachi contained high levels of total phenolics, flavonoids, and carotenoids at maturity, contributing 6339.5 mg of gallic acid equivalent per 100 g, 2364.2 mg of rutin equivalent per 100 g, and 678.7 mg/ml, respectively. The scavenging activities of 1,1-diphenyl-2-picryl hydrazyl (DPPH), hydrogen peroxide and nitric oxide radicals and the reducing power of mature fruits were significantly higher at all data points than those of immature fruits (p<0.05). In contrast, the ferrous ion chelating activity of mature and immature C. sudachi fruits was similar. The 50% effective concentrations (EC50) of mature fruits were 4.1±0.10 mg/ml for scavenging DPPH radicals, 3.1±0.02 mg/ml for scavenging hydrogen peroxide, 3.9±0.01 mg/ml for scavenging nitric oxide, and 3.8±0.02 mg/ml for chelating ferrous ion. The antidiabetic activity of C. sudachi was studied in vitro using the α-glucosidase inhibitory method. The inhibitory activity of mature C. sudachi fruits on α-glucosidase was higher than that of immature fruits. These results suggest that the content of bioactive compounds and the antioxidant and antidiabetic activities of C. sudachi change during maturation. These findings can be further extended to exploit them for their possible application for the preservation of food products, as well as their use as health supplements and nutraceuticals.
Antioxidant;α-glucosidase;Citrus sudachi;harvest date;polyphenol
- Blois, M. S. 1958. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 181, 1199-1200. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Dröge, W. 2002. Free radicals in the physiological control of cell function. Physiol. Rev. 82, 47-95. https://doi.org/10.1152/physrev.00018.2001
- Folin, O. and Denis, W. 1912. On phosphotungstic-phosphomolybdic compounds as color reagents. J. Biol. Chem. 12, 239- 243.
- Fridovich, I. 1986. Biological effects of the superoxide radical. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 247, 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9861(86)90526-6
- Graf, E. and Eaton, J. W. 1990. Antioxidant functions of phytic acid. Free Radic. Biol. Med. 8, 61-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/0891-5849(90)90146-A
- Hanefeld, M. 1998. The role of acarbose in the treatment of non–insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. J. Diabetes Complications 12, 228-237. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1056-8727(97)00123-2
- Higashimoto, M., Yamato, H., Kinouchi, T. and Ohnishi, Y. 1998. Inhibitory effects of citrus fruits on the mutagenicity of 1-methyl-1, 2, 3, 4-tetrahydro-β-carboline-3-carboxylic acid treated with nitrite in the presence of ethanol. Mutat. Res. 415, 219-226. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1383-5718(98)00079-5
- Horie, T., Masumura, M. and Okumura, F. S. 1961. Sudachitin, a new flavone pigment of sudachi. Bull. Chem. Soc. Jpn. 34, 1547-1548. https://doi.org/10.1246/bcsj.34.1547
- Horie, T., Tsukayama, M. and Nakayama, M. 1982. The structure and synthesis of sudachiin A, a new flavone glucoside from citrus sudachi. Bull. Chem. Soc. Jpn. 55, 2928-2932. https://doi.org/10.1246/bcsj.55.2928
- Hwang, J. H., Park, K. Y., Oh, Y. S. and Lim, S. B. 2013. Phenolic compound content and antioxidant activity of citrus peels. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 42, 153-160. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.2.153
- Hyon, J. S., Kang, S. M., Senevirathne, M. , Koh, W. J., Yang, T. S., Oh, M. C., Oh, C. K., Jeon, Y. J. and Kim, S. H. 2010. Antioxidative activities of extracts from dried citrus sunki and C. unshiu peels. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 39, 1-7. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.1.001
- Jeong, S. W., Lee, K. M., Jeong, J. W., Lee, Y. C., Lee, M. S. and Um, S. S. 1999. Physicochemical properties of korean citrus sudachi fruit by harvesting time and region. Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. 31, 1503-1510.
- Joo, S. Y. 2013. Antioxidant activities of medicinal plant extracts. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 42, 512-519. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.4.512
- Kang, J. R., Hwang, C. R., Sim, H. J., Kang, M. J., Kang, S. T. and Shin, J. H. 2015. Biological activities of yellow garlic extract. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 44, 983-992. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.7.983
- Kim, B. S., Kim, H. S., Koh, J. S., J. and Kang, Y. 1996. carotenoid, color value, uv spectrum, organic acid and free sugar contents of citrus varieties produced in Cheju. Kor. J. Post-Harvest Sci. Technol. Agri. Products 3, 23-32.
- Kim, J. H. and Kim, M. S. 2003. Effect of different part of mandarin intake on antioxidative capacity in 15-month-old rats. Kor. J. Nutr. 36, 559-569.
- Kim, Y. D. 2009. Study on the composition of flavonoids and biological activities from jeju citrus fruits. Jeju National University Graduate School.
- Kim, M. J., Hong, C. O., Nam, M. H. and Lee, K. W. 2011. Antioxidant effects and physiological activities of pumpkin (Cucurbita moschata Duch.) extract from different aerial parts. Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. 43, 195-199. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2011.43.2.195
- Kim, M. J. and Park, E. J. 2011. Feature analysis of different in vitro antioxidant capacity assays and their application to fruit and vegetable samples. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 40, 1053-1062. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.7.1053
- Kim, M. Y. 2013. Free radical scavenging and ferrous ion chelating activities of citrus fruits derived from induced mutations with gamma irradiation. Life Sci. 10, 9s.
- Kim, M. Y., Kim, I. J., Lee, H. Y., Lee, D. S., Im, S. J., Kim, J. H., Byun, J. H., Kim, J. Y., Lee, Y. J. and Jeong, S. R. 2012. Characterization of the antioxidant properties of citrus mutants induced by Gamma-rays. Life Sci. 9, 1495-1500.
- Kim, Y. D., Ko, W. J., Koh, K. S., Jeon, Y. J. and Kim, S. H. 2009. Composition of flavonoids and antioxidative activity from juice of Jeju native citrus fruits during maturation. Kor. J. Nutr. 42, 278-290. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2009.42.3.278
- Kim, Y. D., Lee, Y. C., Oh, Y. J. and Kang, Y. J. 2001. Changes of components of citrus sudachi juice heated at various temperatures. Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. 33, 238-244.
- Kim, Y. D., Mahinda, S., Koh, K. S., Jeon, Y. J. and Kim, S. H. 2009. Reactive oxygen species scavenging activity of Jeju native citrus peel during maturation. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 38, 462-469. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.4.462
- Kim, Y. J., Kim, Y. D., Oh, S. W., Kang, Y. J. and Lee, Y. C. 1999. Antimicrobial activities of solvent extracts from citrus sudachi juice and peel. Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. 31, 1613-1618.
- Lee, Y. J., Choi, Y. H., Lee, S. Y., Park, K. J., Park, S. M., Hong, H, J. and Han, C. H. 2010. A study on the treat cause of diabetes due to dry citrus flavonoids. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 105-106.
- Lee, Y. J., Kim, D. B., Cho, J. H., Bailc, O. H. and Lee, O. H. 2013. Physicochemical characteristics and antioxidant activities of bioresource juices from Jeju. Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. 45, 293-298. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2013.45.3.293
- Lee, Y. M., Bae, J. H., Jung, H. Y., Kim, J. H. and Park, D. S. 2011. Antioxidant activity in water and methanol extracts from korean edible wild plants. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 40, 29-36. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.1.029
- Moon, S. H., Assefa, A. D., Ko, E. Y. and Park, S. W. 2015. Comparison of flavonoid contents and antioxidant activity of yuzu (Citrus junos Sieb. ex Tanaka) based on harvest time. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 33, 283-291.
- Nakagawa, H., Duan, H. and Takaishi, Y. 2001. Limonoids from citrus sudachi. Chem. Pharm. Bull. (Tokyo) 49, 649-651. https://doi.org/10.1248/cpb.49.649
- Nam, S. M., Kang, I. J. and Shin, M. H. 2015. Anti-diabetic and anti-oxidative activities of extracts from crataegus pinnatifida. J. East Asian Soc. Dietary Life 25, 270-277. https://doi.org/10.17495/easdl.2015.4.25.2.270
- Nii, Y., Fukuta, K., Sakai, K. and Yamamoto, S. 2004. Japanese citrus fruit (sudachi) juice is associated with increased bioavailability of calcium from whole small fish and suppressed bone resorption in rats. J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol. (Tokyo) 50, 177-183. https://doi.org/10.3177/jnsv.50.177
- Oh, H. S. 2009. Cooking potentiality for japanese dishes using domestic citrus sudachi. Kor. J. Culin. Res. 15, 18-27.
- Oyaizu, M. 1986. Studies on products of browning reaction--antioxidative activities of products of browning reaction prepared from glucosamine. Jpn. J. Nutri. 44, 307-315. https://doi.org/10.5264/eiyogakuzashi.44.307
- Shin, J. H., Lee, S. J., Seo, J. K., Chen, E. W. and Sung, N. J. 2008. Antioxidant activity of hot-water extract from yuza (Citrus junos SIEB ex TANAKA) peel. J. Life Sci. 18, 1745-1751. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2008.18.12.1745
- Park, G. H., Lee, S. H., Kim, H. Y., Jeong, H. S., Kim, E. Y., Yun, Y. W., Nam, S, Y. and Lee, B. J. 2011. Comparison in antioxidant effects of four citrus fruits. J. Fd Hyg. Saafety 26, 355-360.
- Rainha, N., Lima, E., Baptista, J. and Rodrigues, C. 2011. Antioxidant properties, total phenolic, total carotenoid and chlorophyll content of anatomical parts of Hypericum foliosum. J. Med. Plan. Res. 5, 1930-1940.
- Sengoku, T., Murata, Y., Mitamura, H., Takahashi, M. and Yoda, H. 2012. Synthesis of novel mucic acid 1,4-lactone methyl ester 3-O-ferulate related to an extractive component isolated from the peels of citrus sudachi. Tetrahed. Lett. 53, 435-437. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tetlet.2011.11.066
- Shin, K. N., Lee, H. S. and Kwon, C. S. 2011. Effects of nutrition education in type 2 diabetes mellitus on diabetes control and blood antioxidant status. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 40, 689-695. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.5.689
- Tsutsumi, R., Yoshida, T., Nii, Y., Okahisa, N., Iwata, S., Tsukayama, M., Hashimoto, R., Taniguchi, Y., Sakaue, H. and Hosaka, T. 2014. Sudachitin, a polymethoxylated flavone, improves glucose and lipid metabolism by increasing mitochondrial biogenesis in skeletal muscle. Nutr. Metab. 11, 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1186/1743-7075-11-1
- Valko, M., Leibfritz, D., Moncol, J., Cronin, M. T., Mazur, M. and Telser, J. 2007. Free radicals and antioxidants in normal physiological functions and human disease. Int. J. Biochem. Cell Biol. 39, 44-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocel.2006.07.001
- Yim, C. Y. 2010. Nitric oxide and cancer. Kor. J. Med. 78, 430-436.
- Yoo, K. M. and Hwang, I. K. 2004. In vitro effect of yuza (Citrus junos SIEB ex TANAKA) extracts on proliferation of human prostate cancer cells and antioxidant activity. Kor J. Food Sci. Technol. 36, 339-344.
- Yuasa, K., Tada, K., Harita, G., Fujimoto, T., Tsukayama, M. and Tsuji, A. 2012. Sudachitin, a polymethoxyflavone from citrus sudachi, suppresses lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammatory responses in mouse macrophage-like RAW264 cells. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 76, 598-600. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.110800
- Zhishen, J., Mengcheng, T. and Jianming, W. 1999. The determination of flavonoid contents in mulberry and their scavenging effects on superoxide radicals. Food Chem. 64, 555-559. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(98)00102-2