- Volume 28 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Angiotensin I-Converting Enzyme Inhibitor Activity on Egg Albumen Fermentation
- Nahariah, N. (The Laboratory of Meat and Eggs, Faculty of Animal Science, Hasanuddin University Makassar) ;
- Legowo, A.M. (Faculty of Animal and Agricultural Sciences, Diponegoro University) ;
- Abustam, E. (The Laboratory of Meat and Eggs, Faculty of Animal Science, Hasanuddin University Makassar) ;
- Hintono, A. (Faculty of Animal and Agricultural Sciences, Diponegoro University)
- Received : 2014.06.05
- Accepted : 2014.11.19
- Published : 2015.06.01
Lactobacillus plantarum is used for fermentation of fish products, meat and milk. However, the utilization of these bacteria in egg processing has not been done. This study was designed to evaluate the potential of fermented egg albumen as a functional food that is rich in angiotensin I-converting enzyme inhibitors activity (ACE-inhibitor activity) and is antihypertensive. A completely randomized design was used in this study with six durations of fermentation (6, 12, 18, 24, 30, and 36 h) as treatments. Six hundred eggs obtained from the same chicken farm were used in the experiment as sources of egg albumen. Bacteria L. plantarum FNCC 0027 used in the fermentation was isolated from cow's milk. The parameters measured were the total bacteria, dissolved protein, pH, total acid and the activity of ACE-inhibitors. The results showed that there were significant effects of fermentation time on the parameters tested. Total bacteria increased significantly during fermentation for 6, 12, 18, and 24 h and then decreased with the increasing time of fermentation to 30 and 36 h. Soluble protein increased significantly during fermentation to 18 h and then subsequently decreased during of fermentation to 24, 30, and 36 h. The pH value decreased markedly during fermentation. The activities of ACE-inhibitor in fermented egg albumen increased during fermentation to 18 h and then decreased with the increasing of the duration of fermentation to 24, 30, and 36 h. The egg albumen which was fermented for 18 h resulted in a functional food that was rich in ACE-inhibitor activity.
- Akillioglu, H. G. and S. Karakaya. 2009. Effects of heat treatment and in vitro digestion on the angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitory activity of some legume species. Eur Food Res. Technol. 229:915-921. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00217-009-1133-x
- AOAC. 1984. Official Methods of Analysis. 12th. ed. Association of Official Analysis Chemist. Washington DC, USA.
- Bell, D. D. and W. D. Weaver, Jr. 2002. Commercial Chicken Meat and Egg Production. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Norwell, MA, USA.
- Cheng, F. Y., Y. T. Liu, T. C. Wan, L. C. Lin, and R. Sakata. 2008. The development of angiotensin I-converting enzyme inhibitor derived from chicken bone protein. Anim. Sci. J. 79:122-128. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2007.00507.x
- Desrosier, N. W. 1988. Food Preservation Technology. Universitas Indonesia, Jakarta, Indonesia. (In Indonesian)
- Francois, Z. N., N. E. Hodo, F. A. Florence, M. F. Paul, T. M. Felicite, and M. E. Soda. 2007. Biochemical properties of some thermophilic lactic acid bacteria strain from traditional fermented milk relevant to their technological performance as starter culture. Biotechnology 6:14-21. https://doi.org/10.3923/biotech.2007.14.21
- Fuglsang, A., F. P. Rattray, D. Nilsson, and N. C. B. Nyborg. 2003. Lactic acid bacteria: Inhibition of angiotensin converting enzyme in vitro and in vivo. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek 83:27-34. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1022993905778
- Haq, K. H., H. Mukhtar, S. Daudi, S. Ali, and M. A. Qadeer. 2003. Production of protease by a locally isolated mould culture under lab condition. Biotechnology 2:30-36. https://doi.org/10.3923/biotech.2003.30.36
- Irianto, K. 2010. Microbiology: Reveals the World of Microorganisms. Yrama Widya, Bandung. West Java, Indonesia (In Indonesian).
- Isnafia, J. A. 2003. Characteristics of beef fermented by Lactobacillus plantarum and naturally fermented. Med. Pet. 26:40-43.
- Johnson, A. L. 2000. Reproduction in the Female. In: Sturkie's Avian Physiology (Ed. G. C. Whittow). Academic Press, San Diego, California, USA.
- Kassis, N. M., S. K. Beamer, K. E. Matak, J. C. Tou, and J. Jaczynsky. 2010. Nutritional composition of novel nutraceutical egg products developed with omega-3-rich oil. LWT-Food Technol. 43:1204-1212. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2010.04.006
- Katayama, K., H. Fuchu, A. Sakata, S. Kawahara, K. Yamauchi, Y. Kawamura, and M. Muguruma. 2003. Angiotensin Iconverting enzyme inhibitory activities of porcine skeletal muscle proteins following enzyme digestion. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 16:417-424. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2003.417
- Kurtis, A. E. 2008. Fermentation. 1: Biotech processes. J. Validation Technol. 14:10-16.
- Li, S. 2010. Reduce the IgE Binding Ability of Egg White Protein by Fermentation. Ph.D Thesis, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
- Liu, J. B., Z. P. Yu, W. Z. Zhao, S. Y. Lin, E. L. Wang, Y. Zhang, H. Hao, Z. Z. Wang, and F. Chen. 2010. Isolation and identifikasi ofangiotension-converting enzyme inhibiting peptide from egg white protein hydrolysates. Food Chem. 122:1159-1163. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2010.03.108
- Murwani, R. 2012. Functional ingredients from egg. In: Functional Foods. Food Review Indonesia 7:28-30.
- Molin, G. 2008. Lactobacillus plantarum The Role in Foods and in Human Health. In: Handbook of Fermented Functional Foods (Ed. E. R. Farnworth). CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA. ISBN: 978-1-4200-5326-5.
- Nahariah, N., A. M. Legowo, E. Abustam, A. Hintono, Y. B. Pramono dan F. N. Yuliati. 2013. The growth of Lactobacillus plantarum on eggs white with different fermentation time. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 3:33-39. (In Indonesian)
- Nisa, F. C., J. Kusnadi, and dan R. Chrisnasari. 2008. Viability and sublethal detection of probiotic bacteria in fermented soy milk instant using freeze-drying method (Study type isolates and the concentration of sucrose as cryoprotectant). J. Agric. Technol. 9:40-51. (In Indonesian)
- Nursyam, H. 2011. PH value, total acid, N-total and N-Amino of tuna (Thunnus sp) sausage was fermented by Lactobacillus plantarum. Sci. J. Fish. Mar. 3:221-228. (In Indonesian)
- Pramono, Y. B., E. Harmayani, and T. Utami. 2003. Growth kinetics of Lactobacillus plantarum and Lactobacillus sp in liquid MRS medium. Technol. Food Ind. J. 14:46-50.
- Romanoff, A. L. and A. J. Romanoff. 1963. The Avian Egg. John Wiley dan Sons Inc. New York, NY, USA.
- Setioningsih, E., R. Setyaningsih, and dan A. Susilawati. 2004. Making of probiotic beverage from soybean milk using inoculum of Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus plantarum, and Lactobacillus acidophilus. Biotechnol. 1:1-6. (In Indonesian)
- Solomons. N. W. 2002. Fermentation, fermented foods and lactose intolerance. Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. 56:S50-S55.
- Stanbury, P. F., A. Whitaker, and S. J. Hall. 2003. Principles of Fermentation Technology. Butterworth Heinemann. Oxford, UK.
- Steel, R. G. D. and J. H. Torrie. 1991. Principle and Procedure of Statistics. 2nd. ed. International Book Company. Tokyo, Japan.
- Sun, Z. H., W. J. Liu., J. C. Zhang, J. Yu, W. Gao, M. Jiri, B. Menghe, T. S. Sun, and H. P. Zhang. 2009. Identification and characterization of the dominant lactic acid bacteria isolated from traditional fermented milk in mongolia. Folia Microbiol. 55:270-276.
- Sutrisna, R. 2013. Characteristics of lactic acid bacteria isolated from duck intestines against Escherichia coli and Salmonella pullorum Conference on Science and Technology V. Research Institute of the University of Lampung, Indonesia. November 19-20, 2013. (In Indonesia)
- Vinderola, G., A. M. LeBlanc, G. Perdigon, and C. Matar. 2008. Biologically Active Peptides Released in Fermented Milk. In: Handbook of Fermented Functional Foods (E. R. Farnworth). CRC Press. New York, NY, USA.
- Wang, Y. K., H. L. He, X. L. Chen, C. Y. Sun, Y. Z. Zhang, and B. C. Zhou. 2008. Production of novel angiotensin I-converting enzyme inhibitory peptides by fermentation of marine shrimp Acetes chinensis with Lactobacillus fermentum SM 605. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 79:785-791. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-008-1489-z
- Watson, R. R. 2002. Egg and Health Promotion. Iowa State Press A Blackwell Publishing Company. ISBN 0-8138-2798-1.
- Wikandari, P. R., Suparmo, Y. Marsono, and E. S. Rahayu. 2011. Bekasem as a potential source of angiotensin I-converting enzyme inhibitor. Biota. 16:142-152.
- Yu, Z., Y. Yin, W. Zhao, Y. Yu, B. Liu, J. Liu, and F. Chen. 2011. Novel peptides derived from egg white protein inhibiting alpha-glucosidase. Food Chem. 129:1376-1382. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2011.05.067
- Functional Characteristics of Fermented Egg White Powder After Pan-drying at Different Temperatures and Times vol.17, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3923/ijps.2018.134.139
- Increased Inhibition of Angiotensin Converting Enzyme (ACE) Obtained from Indonesian Buffalo Meat Protein Using SEP-PAK Plus C18 vol.17, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3923/pjn.2018.434.440