- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Impact of Brand's Backstage Information Disclosure via Social Media Contents on Consumer Responses: Adoption of Dramaturgical Theory
브랜디드 콘텐츠를 통한 브랜드 무대후면영역(backstage) 정보 노출이 소비자 반응에 미치는 영향: 연극적 접근이론의 적용
- 문장호 (숙명여자대학교 홍보광고학과)
- Received : 2015.02.16
- Accepted : 2015.03.27
- Published : 2015.04.28
One of the most latest trends in today's marketing practice is to create branded contents for interacting with online consumers. Marketers are increasingly adopting behind-the-scene contents which disclose a brand's backstage information in their contents marketing efforts. The current study conceptualizes this behind-the-scene storytelling based on dramaturgical theory and investigates its impacts on consumer responses. The study also examines how consumers advertising skepticism level would influence on the evaluation of branded contents. In addition, the moderating role of advertising skepticism in evaluating brand's backstage information is investigated. The findings suggests that consumers who are exposed to brand's backstage indicate greater information attitude, brand attitude, and purchase intention than those who are not exposed to brand's backstage. Also consumers who have lower advertising skepticism evaluated branded contents more positively than high ad skepticism consumers. Lastly, the moderating role of advertising skepticism on the impact of brand's backstage disclosure is reported.
Social Media;Branded Contents;Backstage;Behind-the-scene;Advertising Skepticism
- J. Pulizzi, Epic Content Marketing, McGraw-Hill, 2013.
- E. Goffman, The Presence of Self in Everyday Life, The Overlook Press, 1959.
- S. Grove and R. Fisk, "Impression management in services marketing: A dramaturgical perspective," Impression Management in The Organization, Lawrence Elbaum Associates, 1989.
- R. Moiso and E. J. Arnould, "Extending the dramaturgical framework in marketing: drama structure, drama interaction and drama content in shopping experiences," Journal of Consumer Behaviour, Vol.4, No.4, pp.246-256, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1002/cb.10
- J. A. Willams and H. H. Anderson, "Engaging customers in service creation: a theater perspective," Journal of Services Marketing, Vol.19, No.1, pp.13-23, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1108/08876040510579352
- K. Grayson, "Customer responses to emotional labour in discrete and relational service exchange," International Journal of Service Industry Management, Vol.9, No.2, pp.126-154, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1108/09564239810210488
- E. Gummerson, "Marketing organization in services businesses: the role of the part-time marketer," in Managing Marketing Services in the 1990s, Cassell Educational Ltd, 1990.
- G. Tumbat, "Customer emotion management and symmetrical exchange in (extended) service encounters," Advances in Consumer Research, Vol.35, pp.516-512, 2008.
- S. J. Grove and R. P. Fisk, "The dramaturgy of services exchange: an analytical framework for services marketing," Services Marketing, Prentice-Hall, 1991.
- D. MacCannell, The Tourist, Schocken, 1976.
- K. Grayson and D. Shulman, "Indexicality and the Verification Function of Irreplaceable Possessions: A Semiotic Analysis," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.27, No.1, pp.17-30, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1086/314306
- J. H. Moon, Behind-the-scene of a brand: the impact of perceived backstage on consumer responses, doctoral dissertation, University of Texas at Austin, 2011.
- http://www.77agency.com/social-marketing/ fashion-brands-on-social-media-one-step-closer-to-the-consumer
- M. Glinoga and A. Tomb, "Bacsktage visibility: Do the customers care?," ANZMAC 2007 Reputation, Responsibility, Relevence: Conference Proceedings, Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy, 2010.
- C. Obermiller, E. R. Spangenberg, and D. L. MacLachlan, "Ad skepticism: The consequences of disbelief," Journal of Advertising, Vol.34, No.3, pp.7-17, 2005.
- P. R. Darke and R. J. B. Ritchie, "The defensive consumer: Advertising deception, defensive processing, and distrust," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.44, No.1, pp.114-127, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.44.1.114
- C. Obermiller and E. R. Spangenberg, "Development of scale to measure consumer skepticism toward advertising," Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol.7, No.2, pp.159-186, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327663jcp0702_03
- 김수량, "광고회의주의 정도가 광고 효과에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구", 한국광고홍보학회, 제10권, 제3호, pp.318-342, 2008.
- M. Fishbein and I. Ajzen, Belief, attitude, intention and behavior: an introduction to theory and research, Addison-Wesley, 1975.
- K. L. Keller and D. A. Aaker, "The effects of sequential introduction of brand extensions," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.29, No.1, pp.35-50, 1992. https://doi.org/10.2307/3172491
- V. Ahuja and Y. Medury, "Corporate blogs as e-CRM tools: Building consumer engagement through content management," Journal of Database Marketing & Customer Strategy Management, Vol.17. No.2, pp.91-105.
- S. Cho and J. Huh, "Content analysis of corporate blogs as a relationship management tool," Corporate Communications: An International Journal, Vol.15, No.1, pp.30-48, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1108/13563281011016822
- S. B. MacKenzie and R. L. Lutz, "An empirical examination of the structural antecedents of atitude toward the ad in an advertising pretesting context," Journal of Marketing, Vol.53, No.2, pp.48-65, 1989. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251413
- A. Mitchell, "The Effect of Verbal and Visual Components of Advertisements on Brand Attitudes and Attitude Toward the Advertisement," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.13, No.1, pp.12-24, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1086/209044
- W. O. Bearden, D. R. Lichtenstein, and J. E. Teel, "Comparison price, coupon, and brand effects on consumer reaction to retail newspaper advertisements," Journal of Retailing, Vol.60, No.2, pp.11-34, 1984.
- I. Altman and D. A. Taylor, Social Penetration: The development of interpersonal relationships, Rinehard & Winston, 1973.
- N. L. Collins and L. C. Miller, "Self-disclosure and liking: A meta-analytic review," Psychological Bulletin, Vol.116, No.3, pp.457-475, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.116.3.457
- Y. J. Chou, C. Teng, and S. Lo, "Mutual self-disclosure online in the B2C context," Internet Research, Vol.19, No.5, pp.466-478, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1108/10662240910998878
- 이은선, 김여정, 안정선, "페이스북 브랜드 팬 페이지에 대한 이용자의 반응", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제13권, 제8호, pp.60-71, 2013.
- 노은직, 김보영, "금융기업의 관계지향적 소셜미디어 마케팅 성공전략 - IBK 기업은행 사례를 중심으로", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제12권, 제1호, pp.460-475, 2012.