- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Use of the Movie 'The Island' for Nursing Informatics in Nursing Students
간호정보학 이해를 위한 영화 'The Island' 활용
- Received : 2015.01.08
- Accepted : 2015.03.05
- Published : 2015.04.28
The purpose of this study was to examine the effect of the film 'The Island' on 2nd year nursing students' nursing informatics (NI) competency. The participants were sixty-eight students in a baccalaureate nursing program of a private university, taking the course, 'Nursing & Informatics' in the 2012 fall semester. Over the 15 weeks, the film was used for five weeks as introduction to NI, peer-to-group discussions, and self-reflection on lessons learned regarding NI. A qualitative content analysis was used to explore the students' experiences and perceptions on their NI competency. As a result, students signified the NI concept as the assessment of biometrics data, promotion of optimal health with the support of various technologies, and integration of patient-centered care into routine practice. They also highlighted the importance of security and safety measures as well as high quality health technology including the ubiquitous health monitoring system. Overall, the lesson outcomes of the course were met. As a supportive, instructional strategy, the use of the movie, 'The Island', was effective for nursing students in achieving NI competencies. Further study is warranted to determine if movies can be used as a means of continuing education to improve informatics competences in healthcare professionals.
Nursing Informations;Nursing Education;Movie;Nursing Students
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- J. A. Spencer, "Integrating informatics in undergraduate nursing curricula: Using the QSEN framework as a guide," J. of Nursing Education, Vol.51, No.12, pp.697-701, 2012. https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20121011-01
- W. W. Yu, C. H. Chang, C. C. Lin, and J. Wang, "Fostering nursing students' informatics competencies via a web-based information literacy course," J. of Curriculum and Teaching, Vol.2, No.2, pp.11-21, 2013.
- A. Darvish, F. Bahramnezhad, S. Keyhanian, and M. Navidhamidi, "The role of nursing informatics on promoting quality of health care and the need for appropriate education," Global J. of Health Science, Vol.6, No.6, pp.11-18, 2014.
- American Nurses Association, Nursing Informatics: Scope and standards of practice, Silver Springs, MD, 2008.
- T. L. Hebda, P. Czar, and C. Mascara, Handbook of informatics for nurses and healthcare professionals (4th ed.), Upper Saddle River, NJ, Pearson Prentice Hall, 2009.
- J. C. De Gagne, W. A. Bisanar, J. T. Makowski, and J. L. Neumann, "Integrating informatics into the BSN curriculum: A review of the literature," Nurse Education Today, Vol.32, pp.675-682. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2011.09.003
- J. Oh, J. Kang and J. C. De Gagne, "Learning concepts of cinenurducation: An integrative review," Nursing Education Today, Vol.32, No.8, pp.914-919, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2012.03.021
- 백경숙, "변이어 교육을 위한 영화 마이 페어 레이디(My Fair Lady)의 효용성 고찰", STEM, 제10권, 제1호, pp.119-145, 2009. https://doi.org/10.16875/stem.2009.10.1.119
- 오진아, 임미해, "간호교육에서 영화를 활용한 국외 연구논문분석", 한국간호교육학회지, 제17권, 제3호, pp.397-406, 2011.
- 오진아, "간호교육에서의 영화의 활용에 관한 고찰", 한국간호교육학회지, 제16권, 제2호, pp.194-201, 2010.
- C. R. Zauderer and C. A. Ganzer, "Cinematic technology: The role of visual learning," Nurse Educator, Vol.36, No.2, pp.76-79, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1097/NNE.0b013e31820b4fbf
- J. Oh, J. C. De Gagne, and J. Kang, "A Review of teaching-learning strategies to be used with film for prelicensure students," J. of Nursing Education, Vol.52, No.3, pp.150-156, 2013. https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20130218-02
- 김선영, "영화를 위한 생명의료윤리교육이 간호대학생의 생명의료윤리의식에 미치는 효과", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제14권, 제7호, pp.281-290, 2014.
- 오진아, 임미해, 노혜린, "아동성장발달 이해를 위한 경험학습모델 기반 영화간호교육 개발", Child Health Nursing Research, 제20권, 제2호, pp.96-104, 2014. https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2014.20.2.96
- 오진아, 신혜원, J. C. De Gagne, "간호학생의 질향상과 안전교육(QSEN) 역량개발을 위한 영화간호교육의 적용," 한국간호교육학회지, 제18권, 제3호, pp.474-485, 2012.
- B. Lom, "Classroom activities: Simple strategies to incorporate student-centered activities within undergraduate science lecture," J. of Undergraduate Neuroscience Education, Vol.11, No.1, pp.64-71, 2012.
- R. P. Weber, Basic content analysis (2nd ed). Newbury Park, Sage Publications, Inc, 1990.
- J. Garrard, Health Sciences Literature Review made Easy: the Matrix Method, (2nd ed.) Jones and Bartlett, Sudbury, MA, 2007
- 정혜명, "병원정보시스템 적응을 위한 컴퓨터교육 개선 방안에 관한 연구", 컴퓨터교육학회 논문지, 제11권, 제4호, pp.59-69, 2008.
- M. C. DiBartolo and L. A. Seldomridge, "Cinemeducation: Teaching end-of-life issues using feature films," Journal of Gerontology Nursing, Vol.35, No.8, pp.30-36, 2009.
- L. Hart, "Using film to enhance students' interest in public health nursing," Journal of Nursing Education, Vol.50, No.1, pp.59-60, 2011. https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20101220-02
- J. Carpenter, B. Stevenson, and E. Carson, "Creating a shared experience using movies in nursing education," Nurse Educator, Vol.33, No.3. pp.103-104, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NNE.0000312182.98023.86
- C. H. S. Kerber, D. Clemens, and W. Medina, "Seeing is believing: Learning about mental illness as portrayed in movie clips," J. of Nursing Education, Vol.43, No.10, p.479, 2004.
- J. W. Herrman, "Using film clips to enhance nursing education," Nurse Educator, Vol.31, No.6, pp.264-269, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006223-200611000-00010
- G. Demiris, L. B. Afrin, S. Speedie, K. L., Courtney, M. Sondhi, V. Vimarlund, C. Lovis, W. Goossen, and C. Lynch, "Patient-centered applications: Use of information technology to promote disease management and wellness. A white paper by the AMIA knowledge in motion working group," J. of American Medical Information Association, Vol.15, No.1, pp.8-13, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1197/jamia.M2492
- J. Englebright, K. Aldrich, and C. R. Taylor, "Defining and incorporating basic nursing care actions into the electronic health record," J. of Nursing Scholarship, Vol.46, No.1, pp.50-57, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1111/jnu.12057
- A. H. Krist, S. H. Woolf, G. A. Bello, R. T. Sabo, D. R. Longo, P. Kashiri, R. S. Etz, J. Loomis, S. F. Rothemich, and J. E. Peele, Cohn, "Engaging primary care patients to use a patient-centered personal health record," Annals of Family Medicine, Vol.12, No.5, pp.418-426, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1370/afm.1691
- R. Koppel, J. P. Metlay, A. Cohen, B. Abaluck, R. Localio, S. E. Kimmel, and B. L. Strom, "Role of computerized physician order entry systems in facilitating medication errors," J. of American Medical Association, Vol.293, No.1, pp.1197-1203, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.293.10.1197
- Evaluation of the Effects of Flipped Learning of a Nursing Informatics Course vol.56, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20170712-06