- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Determinant Factors of Maintaining Employment in a Young Adults with Intellectual Disabilities: Focusing on the Personal Factors of Participants Employed after Vocational Training Program
청년기 지적장애인의 고용 유지 결정 요인: 직업훈련 프로그램 참여자의 개인적 요인을 중심으로
- 박은영 (전주대학교 사범대학 중등특수교육과)
- Received : 2014.09.22
- Accepted : 2014.10.30
- Published : 2015.04.28
The purpose of this study is to examine the determinant factors of maintaining employment in young adults with intellectual disabilities who took part in a vocational training program and was employed. The determinant factors were from four areas, such as physical competence, job-related task performance, emotional behaviors, and functional adaptive behaviors. 64 young adults with intellectual disabilities participated in this study. The participants' capacities were examined during the program, and then their job retention was examined through a follow-up survey six month after the end of the program. Tests contained hand dexterity, grasp strength, finger strength, visual-perception, Survey of Functional Adaptive Behaviors, and Observational-Emotional Inventory-Revised. After data collection, the data were analyzed by binary logistic regression. The results indicated that dexterity in both hands (OR= 1.123) in physical competence, anxiety (OR= .733) and socialization (OR= .429) in emotional behaviors, and academic skills (OR= 1.077) and vocational skills (OR= 1.542) in functional adaptive behaviors were significant determinant factors. These significant factors which affected job attention were consistent with the results from previous studies, and should be considered when designing and constructing an effective career and vocational education program for young adults with intellectual disabilities.
Maintaining Employment;Determinant Factor;Intellectual Disabilities
- E. W. Carter, D. Austin, and A. Trainor, "Predictors of postschool employment outcomes for young adults with severe disabilities," J. of Disability Policy Studies, Vol.23, No.1, pp.50-63, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1177/1044207311414680
- 교육부, 특수교육통계, 교육부, 2013.
- 김호진, 최종철, 양수정, 2013년 장애인 경제활동 실태조사, 한국장애인고용공단 고용개발원, 2013.
- 김성희, 변용찬, 손창균, 이영희, 이민경, 이송희, 강동욱, 권선진, 오혜경, 윤상용, 이상우, 2011년 장애인 실태조사, 보건복지부 한국보건사회연구원, 2011.
- 김승아, 근로장애인의 이직요인 분석과 대처방안, 한국장애인고용촉진공단, 1995.
- 박은영, 정신지체인 고용 준거 개발, 공주대학교, 박사학위논문, 2007.
- 박영근, 조인수, "지적장애학생의 취업 및 고용 유지를 위한 주요기술 관련 특수교사 인식", 재활복지, 제17권, 제4호, pp.245-265, 2013.
- 이윤우, 제조업종이에 종사하는 지적 장애인 직업유지 요인에 대한 동료근로자의 평가, 단국대학교, 석사학위논문, 2009.
- 이채식, 정신지체인의 직업유지에 영향을 미치는 요인에 관한 연구: 취업알선서비스 경험자를 중심으로, 경기대학교, 박사학위논문, 2005.
- 정인숙, 박원희, "정신지체 성인의 직장생활에 영향을 미치는 요인 분석 연구", 특수교육학연구, 제39권, 제1호, pp.235-256, 2004.
- 박은영, 신인수, "발달장애 학생의 적응행동에 대한 전환교육 프로그램의 효과: 메타분석", 장애와 고용, 제21권, 제2호, pp.59-78, 2011.
- L. Newman, M. Wagner, R. Cameto, and A. M. Knokey, The post-high school outcomes of youth with disabilities up to 4 years after high school: A Report From the National Longitudinal Transition Study-2 (NLTS2) (NCSER 2009-3017), SRI International, 2009.
- E. W. Carter, A. A. Trainor, O. Cakiroglu, B. Swedeen, and L. Owens, "Availability of and access to career development activities for transition-age youth with disabilities," Career Development for Exceptional Individuals, Vol.33, pp.13-24, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1177/0885728809344332
- N. J. Certo, R. G. Luecking, S. Murphy, L. Brown, S. Courey, and D. Belanger, "Seamless transition and long-term support for individuals with severe intellectual disabilities," Research and Practice for Persons With Severe Disabilities, Vol.33, pp.85-95, 2008. https://doi.org/10.2511/rpsd.33.3.85
- B. O'Day and D. Stapleton, "Transforming disability policy for youth and young adults with disabilities," Disability Policy Research Brief, Vol.9, No.1, pp.1-4, 2009.
- D. W. Test, "Seamless transition for all. Research and Practice for Persons with Severe Disabilities," Vol.33, pp.98-99, 2008. https://doi.org/10.2511/rpsd.33.3.98
- D. W. Test, V. L. Mazzotti, A. L. Mustian, C. H. Fowler, L. Kortering, and P. Kohler, "Evidence-based secondary transition predictors for improving postschool outcomes for students with disabilities," Career Development for Exceptional Individuals, Vol.32, pp.160-181, 2008.
- R. P. Colarusso and D. D. Hammill, Motor-free visual perception test, Academic Therapy Pub, 1972.
- M. K. E. Bouska, E. Kwatny, and Moss Rehabilitation Hospital, Manual for the application of the motor-free visual perception test to the adult population, Moss Rehabilitation Hospital, 1983.
- C. Y. Su, J. J. Charm, H. M. Chen, C. J. Su, T. H. Chien, and M. H. Huang, "Perceptual differences between stroke patients with cerebral infarction and intracerebral hemorrhage," Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Vol.81, pp.706-714, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(00)90097-2
- M. J. Bouska and E. Kwantny, Manual for application of the Motor-Free Visual Perception Test to the adult population, Academic Therapy Publication, 1983.
- J. Gallus and V. Mathiowetz, "Test-retest reliability of the Purdue Pegboard for persons withmultiple sclerosis," American J. of Occupational Therapy, Vol.57, No.1, pp.108-111, 2003. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.57.1.108
- 한국장애인개발원, 직업평가도구 사용매뉴얼:손 기능 평가 도구 편, 한국장애인개발원, 2011.
- 박희찬, 이종남, MDS의 구성과 사용법, 서부장애인종합복지관, 1997.
- L. MacCarron and J. Dial, McCarron-Dial evaluation system: A systematic approach to vocational, educational and neuropsychological assessment (2nd ed.), McCarron-Dial System, 1986.
- 데이터솔루션 컨설팅팀, Spss Statistics 회귀분석, 데이터솔류션, 2013.
- 이달엽, 김다혜, 이승옥, "직업훈련 프로그램이 장애인 직업준비도에 미치는 효과", 재활복지, 제8권, 제1호, pp.111-143, 2004.
- 조인수, 전환교육, 대구대학교출판부, 2010.
- R. R. Moran, S. McDermott, and S. Butkus, "Getting a job, sustaining a job, and losing a job for individuals with mental retardation," J. of Vocational Rehabilitation, Vol.16, pp.237-244, 2001.
- S. Greensapn and B. Shoultz, "Why mentally retarded audlts lose their jobs: Social competence as a factor in work adjustment," Applied Research in Mental Retardation, Vol.2, pp.23-38, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1016/0270-3092(81)90004-7
- O. P. Kolstoe, "An examination of some characteristics which discriminate between employed and not employed mentally retarded males," American J. of Mental Deficiency, Vol.66, pp.472-482, 1961.
- E. Howarth, J. R. Mann, H. Zhou, and S. McDermott, "What predicts re-employment after job loss for individuals with mental retardation?," J. of Vocational Rehabilitation, Vol.24, No.3, pp.183-189, 2006.
- S. Ju, D. Zhang and J. Pacha, "Empolyability skills valued by employer as important for entry-level employees with and without disabilities," Career Development for Exceptional Children, Vol.35, No.1, pp.29-38, 2012.
- J. E. Martin, F. R. Rusch, T. Lagomarcino, and J. Chadsey-Rusch, "Comparison between workers who are nonhandicapped and mentally retarded: Why they lose their jobs," Applied Research in Mental Retardation, Vol.7, pp.467-474, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0270-3092(86)80019-4
- E. Howarth, J. R, Mann, H. Zhou, S. McDermott, and S. Butkus, "What predicts re-employment after job loss for individuals with mental retardation?," J. of Vocational Rehabilitation, Vol.24, pp.183-189, 2006.
- P. Wehman, M. Hill, P. Goodall, P. Cleveland, V. Brooke, and J. H. Jr. Pentecoste, "Job placement and follow-up of moderately and severely handicapeped individuals after three years," J. of the Association for the Severely Handicapped, Vol.7, pp.5-16, 1982.
- J. A. Cook and L. A. Razzano, "Vocational rehabilitation for persons with schizophrenia: Recent research and implications for practice," Schizophrenia Bulletin, Vol.26, No.1, pp.87-103, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.schbul.a033448
- K. T. Mueser, M. P. Salyers, and P. R. Mueser, "A prospective analysis of work in schizophrenia," Schizophrenia Bulletin, Vol.27, pp.281-296, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.schbul.a006874
- C. Janis and B. Steve, "Social relationships in the workplace," Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities Research Reviews, Vol.7, No.2, pp.128-133, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1002/mrdd.1018
- C. Y. Alverson, J. M. Naranjo, S. Yamamoto, and D. K. Unruh, "Methods for collecting postschool outcomes data on young adults with disabilities: A literature synthesis," Career Development for Exceptional Individuals, Vol.33, pp.155-164, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1177/0885728810378680