- Volume 31 Issue 4
Gordon Matta-Clark was an artist that used actual buildings as his objets of art in the 1960s and 1970s and has been talked about in the world of art until recently. The purposes of this study were to examine his life and the changing process of his aesthetics with a focus on "building cuts," one of his representative concepts, compare and analyze his works with contemporary architectural trends based on them, and propose a new viewpoint on comparative researches on architecture and art from an architectural perspective. The findings were as follows: first, there was a concept of communication between internal and external space sought after in modernism architecture in his early works. Second, there was a trend of inclination toward mobility rather than place contextuality of postmodernism architecture in his creative activities at Anarchitecture. Third, his deconstruction trend of breaking down the spatial techniques of modernism through the interpenetration of streamlined mass into a grid system grew stronger toward the latter period of his creative works. Finally, the study analyzed his works from an architectural perspective and read a direction toward deconstruction architecture based on the understanding of modernism and postmodernism architecture in his works.
Gordon Matta-Clark;Building Cuts;Anarchitecture;Unbuilding;Contemporary Architecture
- 장다은, 고든 마타 클락의 '건축-자르기'에 관한 연구-물리적 구멍의 심리 사회적 의미로의 확장, 홍익대석사논문, 2007.12
- 신효원, 고든 마타-클락의 장소-특정적 작업 연구, 이화여대 석사논문, 2007.12
- 박수현, 고든 마타-클락의 작품에 나타난 도시 개입 방식: 1960-79년대 뉴욕의 도시문제를 중심으로, 이화여대석사논문, 2011.1
- 정연심, 고든 마타-클락의 설치작업에 나타난 국제 상황주의 정신, 현대미술학회논문집, Vol.15, 2011
- 이임수, 아나키텍처.안티젠트리피케이션: 1970-80년대 뉴욕 다운타운 도시빈민의 주거공간에 대한 미술의 대안적 모색, 서양미술사학회논문집, Vol.40, 2014.
- Thomas Crow, Gordon Matta-Clark, London:Phaidon, 2010
- Bahar Beslioglu, The "Programmatic Experimentation" in the work of Gordon Matta-Clark, Midde East Technical University, Ph.D. Dissertation
- Gausa, Manuel, The Metapolis Dictionary of Advanced Architecture-City, Technology and Society in the Information Age, Actar, 2008.2
- James Attlee, "Towards Anarchitecture: Gordon Matta-Clark And Le Corbusier." Tate Papers [online]. Spring 2007