- Volume 39 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Vibration Analysis of AFM Microcantilevers Using an Equivalent Stiffness Element Model
등가강성요소 모델을 이용한 AFM 마이크로캔틸레버의 진동해석
- Han, Dong Hee (Dept. of Mechanical Information Engineering, University of Seoul) ;
- Kim, Il Kwang (Dept. of Mechanical Information Engineering, University of Seoul) ;
- Lee, Soo Il (Dept. of Mechanical Information Engineering, University of Seoul)
- Received : 2014.02.24
- Accepted : 2015.02.16
- Published : 2015.05.01
Atomic force microscopy (AFM) is powerful tool for determining properties of samples based on interactions between the sample surface and an approaching probe tip. In this study, we modeled the interactions between the sample and the tip of the AFM microcantilever as a single nonlinear spring with an equivalent stiffness element and simulated the dynamic behaviors of the AFM microcantilevers using the finite element method (FEM) and ANSYS software. With the simulation results, we analyzed the complex dynamic responses of the AFM cantilever using proper orthogonal decomposition (POD). In addition, we compared the simulation and experimental results using the same method. Consequently, we suggest an effective method to express the interaction between the tip and sample, and we confirm that the influence of the higher order model due to the interaction between the tip and sample is increased.
Atomic Force Microscope;Proper Orthogonal Decomposition;Finite Element Method;Microcantilever
Supported by : 연구재단, 한국 에너지기술 평가원(KETEP)
- Lee, S. I., Howell, S.W., Raman, A. and Reifenberger, R., 2002, "Nonlinear Dynamics of Microcantilever in Tapping Mode Atomic Force Microscopy:a Comparison Between Theory and Experiment," Physical Review B, Vol. 66, pp.115-409.
- Hong, S. H. and Lee, S. I., 2010, "Vibration Analysis of the Tapping AFM Microcantilevers Using Proper Orthogonal Decomposition," Tran. of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol.20, No. 4, pp. 414-421. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVE.2010.20.4.414
- Kim, I. K., Han, D. H., Lee, J. W. and Lee, S. I., 2012, "Classification of Empirical Orthogonal Mode in Multi-Modal AFM Microcantilievrs," Proceedings of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering Annual Spring Conference, pp.167-168.
- Hong, S. H., Lee, S. I. and Lee, J. M., 2004, "Nonlinear Dynamics of AFM Tip with Different Contact Models," Proceedings of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering Annual Spring Conference, pp.73-76.
- Melcher, J., Kiracofe, D., Hu, S., Johnson, S. and Raman, A., 2012, Virtual Environment for Dynamic AFM First Time User's Manual, Purdue University.
- Kerschen, G., Golinval, J. C., Vakakis, A. F.and Bergman, L. A., 2005, "The Method of Proper Orthogonal Decomposition for Dynamical Characterization and Order Reduction of Mechanical Systems: an Overview," Nonlinear Dynamics, Vol.41, No. 1-3, pp.147-169. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11071-005-2803-2
- Kim, I. K. and Lee, S. I, 2012, "Multi-Modal Dynamic Analysis of AFM Microcantilevers," Proceedings of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering Annual Autumn Conference, pp. 296-297.