- Volume 39 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Study on Mode Confusions in Adaptive Cruise Control Systems
적응 순항 제어 시스템에서의 모드 혼동에 관한 연구
- Ahn, Dae Ryong (Graduate School of Automotive Engineering, Kookmin Univ.) ;
- Yang, Ji Hyun (Graduate School of Automotive Engineering, Kookmin Univ.) ;
- Lee, Sang Hun (Graduate School of Automotive Engineering, Kookmin Univ.)
- Received : 2014.07.02
- Accepted : 2015.03.10
- Published : 2015.05.01
Recent development in science and technology has enabled vehicles to be equipped with advanced autonomous functions. ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems) are examples of such advanced autonomous systems added. Advanced systems have several operational modes and it has been observed that drivers could be unaware of the mode they are in during vehicle operation, which can be a contributing factor of traffic accidents. In this study, possible mode confusions in a simulated environment when vehicles are equipped with an adaptive cruise control system were investigated. The mental model of the system was designed and verified using the formal analysis method. Then, the user interface was designed on the basis of those of the current cruise control systems. A set of human-in-loop experiments was conducted to observe possible mode confusions and redesign the user interface to reduce them. In conclusion, the clarity and transparency of the user interface was proved to be as important as the correctness and compactness of the mental model when reducing mode confusions.
Adaptive Cruise Control;Formal Analysis;Intelligent Vehicle;Mode Confusion;User Interface
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Sarter, N. B., Woods, D. D. and Billings, C. E., 1997, "Automation Surprises," Handbook of Human Factors and Ergonomics, 2nd ed., G. Salvendy, Ed., Wiley, New York, pp. 1926-1943.
- Butler, R. W., Miller, S. P., Potts, J. N. and Carreno, V. A., 1998, "A Formal Methods Approach to the Analysis of Mode Confusion," Proceedings of AIAA/IEEE 17th Digital Avionics Systems Conference, Oct 31 - Nov 7, Bellevue, WA, pp. C41-1-8.
- Moon, I. and Yi, K., 2005, "Multi-Vehicle Tracking Adaptive Cruise Control," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 139-144.
- Bolton, M. L., Bass, E. J. and Siminiceanu, R. I., 2013, "Using Formal Verification to Evaluate Human-Automation Interaction: A Review," IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics: Systems, Vol. 43, No. 3, pp. 488-503. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMCA.2012.2210406
- Degani, A. and Heymann, M., 2002, "Formal Verification of Human-Automation Interaction," Human Factors: The Journal of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, Vol. 44, No. 1, pp. 28-43. https://doi.org/10.1518/0018720024494838
- Heymann, M. and Degani, A., 2007, "Formal Analysis and Automatic Generation of User Interfaces: Approach, Methodology, and an Algorithm," Human Factors: The Journal of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, Vol. 49, No. 2, pp. 311-330. https://doi.org/10.1518/001872007X312522
- Horiguchi, Y., Fukuju, R. and Sawaragi, T., 2006, "An Estimation Method of Possible Mode Confusion in Human Work with Automated Control Systems," Proceedings of SICE-ICASE International Joint Conference, Oct 18-21, Busan, South Korea, pp. 943-948.
- Horiguchi, Y., Fukuju, R. and Sawaragi, T., 2007, "Differentiation of Input-Output Relations to Facilitate User's Correct Awareness of Operating Mode of Automated Control System," Proceedings of 2007 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, pp. 2570-2575.
- Furukawa, H., Inagaki, T., Shiraishi, Y. and Watanabe, T., 2003, "Mode Awareness of a Dualmode Adaptive Cruise Control System," Proceedings of 2003 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Vol. 1, pp. 832-837.
- ISO, 1997, ISO 15662 Document, http://www.iso.org/iso/home/store/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=44322.
- Hyundai Motor Co., 2013, EQUUS Manual, http://www.hyundai.com/kr/blu/selectDlExpdList.do#none.
- TASS International, 2013, PreScan Manual, http://www.tassinternational.com.
- Human-Automation Interaction Design for Adaptive Cruise Control Systems of Ground Vehicles vol.15, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3390/s150613916