- Volume 39 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effect of Temperature on Interlaminar Fracture Toughness of Filament-Wound Carbon/Epoxy Composites
필라멘트 와인딩된 카본/에폭시 복합재의 층간파괴인성에 미치는 온도 영향
- Im, JaeMoon (Graduate School of Mechanical Design Engineering, Hanbat Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Shin, KwangBok (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hanbat Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Hwang, Taekyung (Agency for Defence Development)
- Received : 2014.12.24
- Accepted : 2015.03.19
- Published : 2015.05.01
This paper reports an experimental study for evaluating the effect of temperature on the mode I, mode II and mixed-mode interlaminar fracture toughness of adhesive joints with a curved cross-section of filament-wound dome-separated composite pressure vessel. Mode I and mixed-mode interlaminar fracture toughness were evaluated using DCB specimens, while mode II interlaminar fracture toughness was determined using ENF specimens.
Filament Wound Composite;Composite Pressure Vessel;Interlaminar Fracture Toughness;Temperature Effect
- Oh, J. O., Yoon, S. H., Lee, S. W., Ahn, C. W. and Hwang, T. K., 2012, "Prediction of High Temperature Tensile Strengths for Carbon Fiber/Epoxy Composite," Fall Conference of The Korean Society of Propulsion Engineers, pp. 665-667.
- Kim, W. S. and Lee, J. J., 2010, "Composite/Metal Interfacial Toughness Measurement and Improvement," Conference of The Korean Society for Aeronautical and Space Sciences, pp. 191-194.
- Kim, J. H., Shin, K. B. and Hwang, T, K., 2013, "Study on Mode I, II Interlaminar Fracture Toughness for Filament Wound Composite," Spring Conference of The Korean Society of Propulsion Engineers, pp. 323-327.
- F. Mard, 1993, "Design, Manufacture and Test of the Composite Case for ERINT-1 Solid Rocket Motor," 29th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference, pp. 93-2462.
- Kim, H. J., Park, M. I., Gwark, D. W., Kim, J. D. and Koh, S. W., 2002, "A Study on Mode II Interlaminar Fracture Toughness of Hybrid Composites," The Korean Society of Ocean Engineers, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 42-47.
- Yoon, S. H., Heo, K. S. and Kim, J, S., 2005, "Evaluation of Mode I Interlaminar Fracture Toughness for Carbon Fabric/Epoxy Composite for Tilting Train Carbody," The Korean Society for Railway, Vol. 8, No. 6, pp. 573-580.
- Yoon, S. H., Lee, E. D., Heo, K. S., Jung, J. C. and Shin, K, B., 2005, "Evaluation of Mode II Interlaminar Fracture Toughness for Carbon Fabric/Epoxy Composites for Tilting Train Carbody," The Korean Society for Railway, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 195-201.
- Lee, T. S and Choi, Y. G., 1995, "A Study on the Influence of Fiber Orientation on the Mode I Interlaminar Fracture Behavior of Carbon/Epoxy Composite Materials," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng., Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 391-401.
- Pereira, A. B., de Morais, A. B., Marques, A. T. and de Castro, P.T., 2004, "Mode II Interlaminar Fracture of Carbon/Epoxy Multidirectional Laminates," Composites Science and Technology, Vol. 64, pp. 1653-1659. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compscitech.2003.12.001
- ASTM International, 2007, "Standard Test Method for Mode I Interlaminar Fracture Toughness of Unidirectional Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Matrix Composites," ASTM D5528.
- ASTM International, 2006, "Standard Test Method for Mixed Mode I-Mode II Interlaminar Fracture Toughness of Unidirectional Fiber Reinforced Polymer Matrix Composites," ASTM D6671/D6671M.
- James, R. R. and John. Jr, C. R., 1990, "Mixed-Mode Bending Method for Delamination Testing," AIAA Journal, Vol. 28, No. 7, pp. 1270-1276. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.25204
- Im, J. M., Shin, K. B. and Hwang, T. K., 2013, "Evaluation of Mechanical Properties of Carbon/Epoxy Composites under Low and High Temperature," Spring Conference of The Korean Society for Composite Materials, pp. 112-113.
- Ozdil, F., Carlsson, L. A. and Davies, P., 1998, "Beam Analysis of Angle-Ply Laminate End-Notched Flexure Specimens," Composites Science and Technology, Vol. 58, pp. 1929-1938. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0266-3538(98)00018-9
- Multiscale Polymer Composites: A Review of the Interlaminar Fracture Toughness Improvement vol.5, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/fib5040038